test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What race would be best for Hunter Rangers?

scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
I am deffinately going to try this out when I get a chance. One question though, which race would be best suited for this class? I would assume Wood Elf but I am curious what those who have already started testing thinks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I will deffinately going to try this out when I get a chance. One question though, which race would be best suited for this coass?

This is a feedback thread, its probably best to make a new thread for general discussion on the class and ask that there.

For your question. I cant say, since I dont play for the purpose of whats "best" for "x" and never have. I play what for what I feel matches the character I wish to make.

Edit:
    And seems a mod removed the post and indeed made it the beginning of a discussion thread now.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I should have done this to begin with. Dont know what I was thinking. I too usually make characters independent of a "best match" but, I am curious. Mine will either be Wood Elf or Half Elf.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For the Stats, use Drow, Half Orc, or plain Elf since these cover Dexterity, Strength, or Wisdom as their primary and secondary. :D
  • Options
    altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I shall be going with Drow, because dat armor reduction.

I can also see the arguments, though, for half orcs and wood elves... Hell, I can even see that Teiflings may not be a terrible idea, either.

Humans wouldn't hurt with those extra passives.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd say Half Orc over any race that gives WIS bonus for this reason. STR and DEX seem superior to something like DEX and WIS.

STR covers stamina regen and Armor Penetration. BEASTLY! Dex covers crit chance and CC resist, but crit is easily stacked with cheap Azures and CC resist isn't too much of a deal for glass cannon types. DEX gives power and deflection, which is quite nice.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Half-Orc: +2 STR (Resistance Ignored = damage increase), +2 DEX (flat damage increase and Deflection Chance).
  • Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Id say human, have u seen the beastly feats the class has? Its hard to decide what to take.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    methillomethillo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm actually trying the rangers as a drow just to get a little insight on how should a ranger be, but i guess i will be a tiefling on my next roll.
  • Options
    dalang3ddalang3d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i want use Moon Elf for Hunter Ranger Class, cauz i want use new race for new class. LoL
  • Options
    naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For what it isn't worth, at character creation the wood elf is now shown in ranger gear when selecting a race.

Naturally, 90% of them will be drow. 90% of those will be named Drizzt.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • Options
    xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    It Really depends on what role you will be playing.

Personally I think Halfling will be best if you plan on maining a Buff Bot / Melee Ranger. Base Deflection chance you can get with Feats + racial will be 16% before you factor in Deflect scores from Gear and enchants, + Deflect gained from Dex.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • Options
    erikiki1erikiki1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i'd say halfling, cause theyre so small and cute they can barely stretch their bows all the way lmao
  • Options
    xyzandraxyzandra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Mechanically? Half-Orc/Elf/Drow

In reality? Halfling. Because they get the racial ability of "BEING AWESOME!"
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm..

Anything with Dex is a good start.

After that I would go Wood Elf or Drow (Dex/Wis) > Half-Orc (Dex/Str) >Halfling (Dex/Con).

Look for a Stat balance of 18/16/14 between Dex/Wis/Str, note the roller appears to favor Str over Wis.

Wood Elf offers bonus crit and reduced impact of slow effects (which is handy for a mobile class).
    Drow offers Darkfire's defence reduction.
    Half-Orc really only offers the Str to start with, but given how common ArP is on Ranger gear you can quickly gain enough bonus to overcome the +2 from Half-Orc str.
    Halfling gives you Con for more hit points and crazy deflect so you also take less damage, which combined with how common defense/deflect is on HR gear gives you the survivability to get your damage down.

All of that said I've been playing a Tiefling and its been working fine, though I need to check now post patch how well she goes.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    naicalus wrote: »
    Naturally, 90% of them will be drow. 90% of those will be named Drizzt.
    You mean this guy?

drizzt_2.jpg
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I am thinking any thing thats gives Constitution and wisdom hafling can get 20 con wis and dex cuas strength thats nothing strength doesn't give us that are feats cant or a racial ability.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    gonna go with a dwarf first, kinda sad I need to wait til next summer for the boar mount though, and I do so hope they put in a cross bow transmute at some point :)

Might also try a hafling at some point.
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The best Race is the one you want to play!