test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bit of help?

masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
Hey, easy question, but I can't seem to find the answer to it.

Can objects be given an inspect dialogue without it being part of the story editor? I want to give several items in my current map back story for flavor, but I don't want it marred by a 'go read this thing' prompt on the side.

Does that make sense? Interact doesn't really cut it for what I need. I want items to be 'lore' items in effect (without being actual lore items. I mean, you know what I mean)

Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by masamundane on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No.

What I've done to get around that is to make the item interactable (although that will make it sparkle as well), and then Create Item a "bogus item" and have the object Require that bogus item. When player doesn't have that item the Interact Failure text is displayed in red in the middle of the screen.

Other than that, you could give it a contact dialog that isn't part of the objectives -- but then it'll have the big blue diamond over it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    No.

What I've done to get around that is to make the item interactable (although that will make it sparkle as well), and then Create Item a "bogus item" and have the object Require that bogus item. When player doesn't have that item the Interact Failure text is displayed in red in the middle of the screen.

Other than that, you could give it a contact dialog that isn't part of the objectives -- but then it'll have the big blue diamond over it.

Ah. Thank you. I'll try both of these and see which one I like.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So, update. I've been giving the items dialogue options, but giving all the text the Mission Information tag. The items sparkle (which I wanted) but despite being now 'talking' NPCs they don't get the diamond over them; which I didn't want anyways.

So, that seems to work great. Thanks again for the assist.