test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New author here

shadw2012shadw2012 Member Posts: 674 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Foundry
Good afternoon everyone,

Well i have decided to create my own foundry, needless to say it is quite interesting. Should i start with a short simple quest, I have an idea for a much bigger campaign, just to get a feel for it?
Post edited by shadw2012 on

Comments

• Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    having recently completed my second foundry, both of them have been learning experiences. i imagine trying to create a fully fleshed out campaign as my first foundry could be somewhat daunting. i would recommend getting in there and familiarizing yourself with the tools. i found that foundry editor zone chat can also be a helpful tool.

good luck!
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi. :) Welcome aboard.

I would suggest starting with one quest. Use that quest to learn the foundry editor, assets and tools, as well as the expectations of the playerbase. Once you've tweaked and polished that one quest as best as you possibly can, then work on another. :) Even if your first quest is the start of a campaign, it would probably be best to finish/polish one first, before doing all the others. Just a suggestion though. :)
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Definitely start with one quest - even if it is a lead-in to others. I've done the exact same thing with my "Ascent of the Underdark" campaign -- I've only "completed" 2 out of 3 quests as part of the campaign, and I'm in the process of going back and majorly revamping and cleaning up my 1st quest "Trouble in Conyberry" using everything I've learned in the last 6 months (as well as being able to use new detail assets and foundry tools released since beta).
  • Options
    builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited October 2013
    Best to start small and expand from there otherwise you could end up bogged down and lost.
  • Options
    boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Best way to start is just to experiment with what you can do. Start with making a basic map, talk to NPC, kill enemies, then add more things later. Run other people's foundries to get ideas and put in some tricks, puzzles, and polish. Get creative with the map details so it feels like you are going some place you never been before.
    Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
    Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
    Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited October 2013
    Welcome to the insanity. Agree with all the advice above. Most of all do something that you really love. The investment in time and effort demands a certain degree of dedication, so starting from a position of doing what you really enjoy in the first place gives you a solid frame to stand on.
  • Options
    faythe0107faythe0107 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hi....................................
  • Options
    boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    faythe0107 wrote: »
    hi....................................

I started with a campaign, but I used to write for Living Greyhawk in the rpga so I had a good idea how to set up a plot to hook multiple groups. The problem was honestly I got so much better at it my last two modules are way better then my first. I now have five modules, two to go. I have had a blast creating them but not tons of people play foundry's.

If you want to create a campaign for your own enjoyment I recommend you have a "Overarching" story arc in mind. Listen to player feedback and change where needed. And make sure you type in Word and copy and paste because its a real pain in the butt t spell check and type in the little boxes they provide.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It may even be worthwhile to just create a single standalone quest rather than a first quest in a campaign. If it is standalone, you don't have to worry about going back and fixing all your learning-curve experiences and "I wish I'd ..." moments. When you learn more you can go back and improve it, or just delete it and reclaim a quest slot.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Welcome aboard! And as most people already have said, it's probably easier to start with something small to get used to the foundry tools.
    Let us know if you have any doubts. :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited October 2013
    shadw2012 wrote: »
    I do have one question though, how do you all deal with the "sorry cant think of a nice way to put it, so i wont" people who just review to be hateful, sorry i have other words for it, but it wouldn't be polite to put them down, lol.

Simple IGNORE them.....Life is too short to worry about it - react only to constructive criticism.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I do have one question though, how do you all deal with the "sorry cant think of a nice way to put it, so i wont" people who just review to be hateful, sorry i have other words for it, but it wouldn't be polite to put them down, lol.

You just did. By realizing there ARE such people out there who simply want to grief others, or somehow put them down (to make them feel better about themselves???), you just ignore them and realize they are low-lifes.

Create because you enjoy creating, accept creative critiques and suggestions in the spirit that they were given - to help you create an even better experience. There are some wonderful reviewers out there that are willing to offer their opinions. But, also realize most are simply their opinion -- not everyone likes the same kinds of things, so go with what you feel is right for the story you are telling.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to all for the great advice, i greatly appreciate it. I will be starting off with the basic see this person, go here, more story, couple of encounters and go from there. I look forward to reading the feedback once i publish it.

So...how's that foundry quest going? Can't wait to see it.
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's all good advice... and yep, you should start small. There is a steep learning curve with the foundry and there are lots of tricks to accomplish your desired effect. Have fun!!