test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why Can't Tieflings Have White Hair?

prettyceltprettycelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 777 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there some pressing reason that all characters don't have access to the same creation options for appearance?

I've noticed elves with very bright platinum white hair, yet my Tiefling isn't given that option. The lightest shade it gets is gray, without stepping over into blonde. Why? Who made that decision? Fire them and offer the same options across the board, at least as far as color choices for such things as eyes and hair.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I think it's fore lore reason, see in the dungeons and dragons 4e monsters handbook, there are detailed info about his sort of things in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Sorry my keyboard is bad, and the background color of the quick reply box does not let me see what I'm typing very well :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tieflings have the same 10 rows of hair colour options as Dwarves, Humans, and Halflings, plus two rows of greys.
    Wood Elves and Half-Elves have the same 10 rows of hair colour options as Dwarves, Humans, and Halflings, plus one row of greens.

I have input all the hair/eye/complexion options on the wiki (e.g. http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Tiefling) except for Moon Elves and Menzoberranzan Renegades, since I don't have those packs.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    As far as I know when Tieflings get old their hair becomes white so...I don't know.

The limited hair color selections has been something Zebular and I have nudged them about quite frequently. His character has gray hair instead of white because the game doesn't permit him to have white.

Other notable lack of options are mainly with the drow not permitting the use of bleach blond hair (normally denotes old age or sickness) or the ability to choose green, blue and gray eye colors on drow (normally denotes surface elven bloodlines)*

If Zeb sees this post I am sure he can chime in with a whole slew of missing coloration which are specifically stated in the lore and source material as possibilities.

*I forget which eye colors aren't an option but I know at least one or two of them aren't available selections.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We have dyes for clothes, why not for skin and hair?

I mean, yeah, you can get a "change appearance" token from the zen shop, but that's not what i'm on about. (I haven't used one, but I'm going to guess that it doesn't unlock new hairstyles and colors.)
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you wanna test the change appearance option you can do it for free, you just can't make the changes permanent. But, no, you don't get more options if you change your appearance. You get the same as in character creation.
    I would have really liked to have the option to make my Half-Orc of a more greenish hew, but no luck. If I remember correctly, there's been some talk about adding more options at character creation. Hopefully we'll have more options in the not too distant future.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    seduiriseduiri Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would really like for more options to be made availible aswell. Even if you have to pay for them, there are currently not enough options for the character creation imo.

For example i would really like to give my drow priestess grey skin, but unfortunatly almost all the skin color options are shades of brown or pitch black. Also, more hair options is needed, it is really sad in my opinion that there arent more longer hair options. Almost all the hair options are some form of mohawk D:
  • Options
    kiteareskiteares Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As far as I know when Tieflings get old their hair becomes white so...I don't know.

<snip>
    THIS!!
    I want white, not grey but pure white hair for my, well all my toons. Would be happy to have it on my teifling, if that's all I can get, but would it be that hard to put a full rgb list on there?
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    from the IRC chat with Velasquez, more character customizations are planned, but initially the focus was on combat, monsters, armor, etc.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A better question is:

"Why can't Tieflings have helmets, without clipping errors?"

the same goes for the dwarven helmets, because of their big noses clipping through anything,
    aswell as the half-orc helmets with eyebrows/teeth etc. clipping through the visor(s)...

While we are at it, why do male GWF with a medium/slim body type have the sword IN and not ON their backs?

Crazily good designs, yet no way to make use of them on 50% of the classes.

• Options
    nearlydiamondnearlydiamond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    prettycelt wrote: »
    Is there some pressing reason that all characters don't have access to the same creation options for appearance?

I've noticed elves with very bright platinum white hair, yet my Tiefling isn't given that option. The lightest shade it gets is gray, without stepping over into blonde. Why? Who made that decision? Fire them and offer the same options across the board, at least as far as color choices for such things as eyes and hair.

Ye gods! Next you'll be wanting female Dwarves without facial hair and alcohol problems too!
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't understand why female dwarves can't have optional facial hair. It would be a fun way of illustrating the fact that they're a totally distinct race/species/whatever from humans and halflings besides just making them unrealistically well-endowed compared to the other humanoids. But then I don't do DnD outside the game so I dunno.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    manplowmanplow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hairy female dwarves are pretty standard in literature, you just never see them in games for some reason.

Edit: Gimme them alcoholic women.
    Warrior Nation. Always recruiting. Check us out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Like a snow plow, but for people.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A better question is:

"Why can't Tieflings have helmets, without clipping errors?"

the same goes for the dwarven helmets, because of their big noses clipping through anything,
    aswell as the half-orc helmets with eyebrows/teeth etc. clipping through the visor(s)...

While we are at it, why do male GWF with a medium/slim body type have the sword IN and not ON their backs?

Crazily good designs, yet no way to make use of them on 50% of the classes.

I doubt we'll see race-specific armor and clothing, so any that have different traits, (like Tieflings' horns, half-orcs' tusks, etc), are going to look weird wearing them... and which is probably another reason why we can disable the visual on the helmets but not other parts.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I also would like some more customization in the different races looks. Tieflings currently have one look for their tails, only thing you can change is the length/thickness...tieflings horns, facial spikes (for the males), and tails all look different from one to another, having no options for the tails, and few for the face (least i think the face can be changed, my tieflings are female so idk about the male characters too much) and horns is rather disheartening.

Hairstyles are another thing, it's always been a big thing in Star Trek Online as well, hairstyles for different races being limited, and the hairstyles on Neverwinter are limited for ALL the races, they really need to add more, and fixing the current ones for the models they have should also be a priority for their art team, going back to Tieflings...some of the hairstyles clip through the portion of their horns on their brow, which is very VERY immersion breaking...it effectively limits Tieflings even more on their hairstyles.

(idk about other races, as the only non-tiefling character i have is a moon elf, and elves and human facial features are pretty vanilla and work with pretty much all hairstyles, though i would like a larger selection of colors, hairstyles, and tatoos for them)

end rant
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
  • Options
    seduiriseduiri Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I really do feel that more customization all around for all races is needed. I love playing around with foundry and the costumization in there. There are so many more hair styles, skin colors and hair colors, eye colors ect. I wish that more options would be offered for us when making characters, because there are soo fiew options that about half the characters i see looks so similar, just a different hair color. :c

But that Tieflings cant have white hair is really....strange. I mean shouldnt white hair be an option to all races? Perhaps i am biased though since i almost always give my characters white hair. I think its pretty looking and gives me a sence of fantasy. Yet alot of them only get blond or grey. :/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    I also would like some more customization in the different races looks. Tieflings currently have one look for their tails, only thing you can change is the length/thickness...tieflings horns, facial spikes (for the males), and tails all look different from one to another, having no options for the tails, and few for the face (least i think the face can be changed, my tieflings are female so idk about the male characters too much) and horns is rather disheartening.

Hairstyles are another thing, it's always been a big thing in Star Trek Online as well, hairstyles for different races being limited, and the hairstyles on Neverwinter are limited for ALL the races, they really need to add more, and fixing the current ones for the models they have should also be a priority for their art team, going back to Tieflings...some of the hairstyles clip through the portion of their horns on their brow, which is very VERY immersion breaking...it effectively limits Tieflings even more on their hairstyles.

(idk about other races, as the only non-tiefling character i have is a moon elf, and elves and human facial features are pretty vanilla and work with pretty much all hairstyles, though i would like a larger selection of colors, hairstyles, and tatoos for them)

end rant

A few of the meshes and textures are a little wonky with non-tiefling races' hairstyles, too, and some of them clip slightly on certain face shapes. The really good hairstyles are just that -- really good -- but some of them could use a little extra polishing. All of the medium/long female hairstyles come to mind; the medium-with-bangs looks great, but many of the others are just a little rough around the edges texture-wise.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Lore-wise, tieflings aren't supposed to have white hair. Tieflings are the offspring of humans and devils, although their origin as a race varies according to setting.

A tiefling's offspring will always be a tiefling, no matter the race of the other parent, and they live the same as humans. They also can have body hair, but no facial hair. Their horns can be cut off, and some tieflings have done it themselves so they are accepted in human society.

Differences: tieflings smell like sulphur, are heavier than humans and resistant to fire.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lore-wise, tieflings aren't supposed to have white hair. Tieflings are the offspring of humans and devils, although their origin as a race varies according to setting.

A tiefling's offspring will always be a tiefling, no matter the race of the other parent, and they live the same as humans. They also can have body hair, but no facial hair. Their horns can be cut off, and some tieflings have done it themselves so they are accepted in human society.

Differences: tieflings smell like sulphur, are heavier than humans and resistant to fire.

That is the retconned 4E definition WOTC used when they made Tiefling a full race. Hopefully they change it back, as they were way more interesting before. They were originally a human & fiend hybrid. Meaning they could have devil or demon ancestry.

IIRC the lore explanation for Forgotten Realms was that once Asmodeus achieved godhood, he put a bit of his blood into all exiting tieflings on Toril. Or something like that. Doesn't make much sense for the ones that were descended from demons instead of devils.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    That is the retconned 4E definition WOTC used when they made Tiefling a full race. Hopefully they change it back, as they were way more interesting before. They were originally a human & fiend hybrid. Meaning they could have devil or demon ancestry.

IIRC the lore explanation for Forgotten Realms was that once Asmodeus achieved godhood, he put a bit of his blood into all exiting tieflings on Toril. Or something like that. Doesn't make much sense for the ones that were descended from demons instead of devils.

This is all true of course, but it doesn't mean you're stuck with it. After all, if your Tiefling is a 'proper' Tiefling of Toril or not is really an RP note only. You can be part of a family of Demon blood Tieflings that somehow avoided Asmodeus' sire-ing (which is a heck of a story on it's own) or maybe not even from Toril. Personally, the RP behind my Tiefling is that she's from Sigil, and was 'hipped' through a one way portal, and is now stuck on Toril.

Point being, it's your RP story. Other Rp-ers aren't going to hold you to the true Toril story too hard if you have a half decent explanation, and folks that aren't Rp-ing don't care to hear your story anyways.

What you can't do right now though is have white hair. I'm secretly wondering if it wasn't on most hair colors to avoid folks making pseudo-drow back in the beginning, but I wasn't here so...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    People made billions and billions of pseudo-drow anyway. It's not because of that. ;)
  • Options
    masamundanemasamundane Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    People made billions and billions of pseudo-drow anyway. It's not because of that. ;)

Well, I got nothing then.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i was playing around with making a tiefling yesterday and the lightest of gray looks kinda white.