test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thank You

pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
There are so many posts in these forums complaining about this or that problem with the game, so I thought I would start one to express my appreciation for the game experience. This is the first MMO that I have played and I am thoroughly enjoying it. There are many different things to do, there are five different classes - perhaps not enough for some, but it's enough for me to explore. I play a CW, I've tried a TR and GF and didn't really like them, so next I think I will try a DC. I like the teamwork aspect, being a part of a team to help reach a shared goal of defeating a dragon or slaying some baddie boss. And the fellow players overall have been quite good, of course a few bad apples but mainly other respectful and kind players. So thank you devs for working very hard on a great MMO game and I look forward to all the great improvements to come!
Post edited by pointsman on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the game!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    unfortunately, game company forums tend to be an outlet for disgruntled customer grievances. i commend you for being able to look through the muck and see the greatness that does exist here... not just in the forums but the game itself.

for me, the game's graphics hit me like a freight train initially and i was sold on the great detail that was put into the world they created. next it was the combat mechanics. my first character i took to 60 was a GWF and even though i soon discovered they were the red-headed step-children of all the classes, i still loved that experience. my second (and now first love) is my tiefling control wizard. so far, i have created a character for each class and only my DC is not a level 60 (she's at level 43 and patiently waiting for me to finish leveling her). i also love the lore, the storyline... i think my favorite dungeon is the cloak tower. the first time i saw the gelatinous cube, i might have girlishly squealed.

joining a guild and interacting with like-minded gamers, running dungeons and teaming up against other players definitely added to the experience.

of course, no game could possibly be 100% perfect but i have not seen any evidence that would lead me to believe that this company isn't fully focused on moving towards that goal. after all, rome wasn't built in a day.

thanks for the awesome thread. :]
  • Options
    exterminatumexterminatum Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Game is actually loads more fun now than on launch. My only issue is with the packs being so expensive. Oh, and no Archer/Hunter class.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh, and no Archer/Hunter class.

Soon(tm) :p
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    nearlydiamondnearlydiamond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Actually I think the complaints come out of frustration at seeing something with such huge potential. If a game is totally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> then people wouldn't bother to play it let alone complain about it. Kudos on positivity but I still think much of what's posted is constructive. You are right though this is a very fun game to play
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This game has actually taught me somethings. I am a long time MMO gamer, since 2000. I usually would just use my mouse to click my skills. Here you have to use the keys. So now I have taken this back to my other MMOs and use the keys there.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am glad to see players that can acknowledge the game's problems and still enjoy the game.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    nightspiritgnightspiritg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There have been changes here and there since I started that I haven't liked,1 or 2 I hated but for all the complaining,(I have made 1 or 2) I see that the people complaining are still playing and I always say "I have fun" and I do,that's why I play.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the nice posts, and for your constructive feedback! We appreciate them very much! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    For me, the game's graphics hit me like a freight train initially and I was sold on the great detail that was put into the world they created. Next it was the combat mechanics.
    I have to agree. For a f2p game, this game really is very pretty with every setting maxed out. The combat mechanics are also very fun, I often find myself having to take a little time adjust when I play similar RPG games(such as my habit of pressing 6 and wondering why I'm not on my horse in Skyrim or forgetting I don't have any manual at-wills in DA:O).

In general, I tend to feel the game is moving in the correct direction, but progress sometimes feels very glacial, especially given the lack of dev(as opposed to community moderator) interaction with the playerbase.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Most "complaints" are feedback on how to improve the game, falling on deaf ears.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    As one poster mentioned, it is more common to see complaints than praise. And that's probably several thousand-to-one ratio kinda rare.

As the old saying goes, happy customers are too busy enjoying the game.

So as I caution every new MMO player, stay away from the forums if you like what the game is. You won't find any more news than you'd really get when the patch releases. You will find hate, bile and upset feelings, and that's just the posters with 'constructive' feedback!

Nothing can ruin a game worse, than the game's forums. But I grew addicted to them long ago, to my dismay.

To the game itself: love the combat system. Graphics are very nice. Character customization was a stiff breeze in the right direction compared to most games I see nowadays. And it's all in one of my favorite IP's, Faerun. So all in all, I'm enjoying it. Even got my wife to play. Now if I can just get her a machine of her own, cause she's cramping my dungeon delves.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Most "complaints" are feedback on how to improve the game, falling on deaf ears.

Agreed, most 'complaints' are a single players opinion on how to change the game more to their liking and tastes, and are callously ignored by the professionals for a number of reasons.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    roguish98roguish98 Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2013
    The Foundry is epic. Even at this early stage, there is creative, engaging content to be found there! The fact that I may check and find a new quest or campaign posted each time I log in keeps me fascinated! I would love to see the authors have the ability to incorporate player-specific information into their quests. For example, at character creation, we choose a gender, a background, and a deity. It would be awesome if the content creation tools could detect these attributes (such as in Neverwinter Nights 2).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Insinuating that the complaints are merely done because people want the game changed to their tastes? How about all the complaints from people who don't want most of the end game content obsoleted once you have your equipment? Cryptic has been destroying this game since August 22nd.

So I'm left feeling like an idiot. What the heck did they do on August 22nd?

• Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    So I'm left feeling like an idiot. What the heck did they do on August 22nd?

Gonna go out on a limb and say that was the BoP update.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The 22nd was the Feywild, module 1, start day.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the game is great out of the box, probably especially if you're new to MMOs like the OP. I'm enjoying the heck out of the levelling process. But most MMOs usually do have a good levelling process. It's usually at endgame that you get most complaints, and that's the make or break time for most players.

Unfortunately we've seen a trend with Cryptic for some time now. CO had enormous potential but development nearly stopped on it because of STO. STO had huge potential but languished in the run up to NWO. Now NWO has huge potential, and poor old CO is on maintenance mode, probably with STO soon to follow while they work on the next cash cow. Sadly, this "scorched earth" policy just seems to be Cryptic's business model. I think they've got a rep. amongst players for that sort of thing now (certainly on most MMO forums these days) that it's going to be hard to ever shake off - even if they care.

But still and all, it's a heck of a fun game for levelling up at least one of each class, and it obviously did have some love and passion put into it. Kudos to Cryptic for making yet another game with .... huge potential.

Plus, when all's said and done, making MMOs is hard yo, and the fact that Cryptic can have 3 up and running at the same time has to be some kind of technical achievement in itself, and a tribute to the power and flexibility of the engine they started developing back in CoH days.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i'm just going to leave this here:

your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes, I complained about some changes that were pushed to players without "good" communication, but overall this is the best game I have played in a long time. I have been here since Beta and still log in almost every day... Usually, a game investment gives me a month, maybe 2 before it is promptly uninstalled from my computer... This one has been installed for many months and used longer than any other I can remember... maybe aside with Skyrim.

Thanks for that.

;)
  • Options
    hwlrmnkyhwlrmnky Member Posts: 90
    edited October 2013
    This is my first MMO, too, and I am also having a great time. It's nice to see that my PC gaming combat skills translate to this game :cool: and I really enjoy the variety of activities. I've surprised myself by enjoying PvP and I'm finally learning my way around the Gauntlegrym map. I appreciate the quiet sense of humor that permeates the content. I also like the not-so-quiet; my first Mimic chest had me laughing so hard I nearly let it eat me.

Also, thank you for letting me choose whether my character runs around in her underwear. It's nice to have the bikini option but I prefer being able to wear armor, too.