test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF Guard + Barkshield

tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
edited November 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
The tooltip on Guard says

Block all incoming damage in front if you at the cost of your Guard meter. Also negate control effects, like Daze or Stun.

I took my GF 60 to the Tower District, pulled a few Orcs, killed all but one, then proceeded to Guard. The combat log looks like:

[Combat (Self)] Your Guard absorbs 72 (14) damage from Battletested Orc's Hacking Frenzy.
[Combat (Self)] Your Barkshield Armor absorbs 1 (1) damage from Battletested Orc's Hacking Frenzy.
[Combat (Self)] Battletested Orc gives 0 (72) Physical to you with Hacking Frenzy.

Even though 100% of damage was absorbed, somehow 1 point of damage was applied to the Barkshield armor, causing it to lose a stack. Since Guard absorbed 100% of incoming damage, that should not have happened.

To quote Panderus on the intended behavior

Guardian Fighter's block does not make them immune to everything. Debuffs, large hits (as listed above) and attacks 'behind' them should still affect them. The attacks behind them include an AoE attack when the center of that attack is behind the Guardian Fighter, not the source of said attack.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?489661-Control-Immunity-still-bugged-and-Client-Server-synchronisation-still-bad/page7

Nothing listed in the quote seems to apply here.

The Guard should have fully protected my GF (as evidenced by 0 damage applied), and the stack of Barkshield should not have been removed.
Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
Post edited by tripsofthrymr on

Comments

• kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So in PvP all anyone has to do is sneeze on the bark 3 times and the stack is removed huh? Further, it sounds rather useless in PvE as well.

Sounds "flaky" to me... I'll stick with my Greater Negation GF tyvm.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    And the tooltip is clear
    Whenever you take damage one charge of Bolstered Bark is consumed.
    It's not Whenever you take a hit (possibly a zero-damage hit)
    English is not my first language.
  • vegasonevegasone Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 94
    edited October 2013
    I use Barkshield and I see that "absorbs 1(1) damage" all the time in my combat log. That is not when the charges are being removed. You will absorb a **** ton more damage than that trust me.

Try your test again, this time noting that the charges are listed as "Bolstered Bark" and you can visually see them as a buff under your portrait. When you have 3 charges left, you absorb the most damage.

I am curious as to how your test will turn out with shield blocking because my GF is the one character I haven't tried Barkshield with.
  • dante125pldante125pl Banned Users Posts: 42
    edited October 2013
    single at will hit with hp drain type enchant ill remove the barkshield stacks too
    for example 1 hit with plaguefire removes all the barkshield stacks
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wow, that's nasty. Makes Barkshield quite useless for GF!

Imagine instead if with Soulforge when blocking near 25% HP someone sneezes on you and procs it!
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    vegasone wrote: »
    I use Barkshield and I see that "absorbs 1(1) damage" all the time in my combat log. That is not when the charges are being removed. You will absorb a **** ton more damage than that trust me.

Try your test again, this time noting that the charges are listed as "Bolstered Bark" and you can visually see them as a buff under your portrait. When you have 3 charges left, you absorb the most damage.

I am curious as to how your test will turn out with shield blocking because my GF is the one character I haven't tried Barkshield with.

I did watch the 3 stacks of Bolstered Bark disappear during the test. That's why I went to the Tower District... so things move slow enough to exactly observe.

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Wow, that's nasty. Makes Barkshield quite useless for GF!

Imagine instead if with Soulforge when blocking near 25% HP someone sneezes on you and procs it!

My DC has Soulforged. That doesn't really work correctly either, as it can take up to 2 seconds for the "immunity" to kick in, at which point you can be dead (acknowledged bug, so hopefully at least for Soulforged a fix is on the way).

edited October 2013
    dante125pl wrote: »
    single at will hit with hp drain type enchant ill remove the barkshield stacks too
    for example 1 hit with plaguefire removes all the barkshield stacks

Plaguefire ignores resistances (if I recall correctly), I guess perhaps ignores Guard too. A low-level Orc's sword attack does not.

• ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Plaguefire ignores resistances (if I recall correctly), I guess perhaps ignores Guard too. A low-level Orc's sword attack does not.

Plaguefire don't ignore resistances. Guard absorb PF damage as DoT damage.
  • misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    Plaguefire don't ignore resistances. Guard absorb PF damage as DoT damage.
    Yup, but only until the guard is dropped. And it'd still drain you Barkshield.
    DoT/fast weak hits is the easiest way to counter barkshield. Tries to put BoTS on anyone using it in PvP when I use my DC, quite fun as it turns almost completely useless.
    Wizard.jpg
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All the more reason to stick with a Negation Enchantment...
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
    edited October 2013

Only a few things ignore Damage Resistance and Tenebrous happens to be one of them. Not general Necrotic damage.

Tenebrous also shares other nasty properties with a few other things, like TR's Shocking Execution by ignoring all immunities. Also something that will be removed shortly from Tenebrous.

The irony, given this thread, is that Barkshield is practically the only effective enchant in the current game to Tenebrous! But its no use on a GF if even tickling them with guard up negates Barkshield...
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Full tooltip of Perfect Barkshield says:

"Every 8 seconds you armor recieves a charge of Bolstered Bark up to a maximum of 3 charges. When you have one charge of Bolstered Bark your armors absorbes 810 damage. When you have two charges of Bolstered Bark your armors absorbes 1620 damage. When you have three charges of Bolstered Bark your armors absorbes 2430 damage. Whenever you take damage one charge of Bolstered Bark is consumed"

Just want to be sure I'm getting it correctly. Assuming it's strictly for PVE GF - no tenes, PF enchants etc - It's quite clear that each hit no matter the dmg takes away one charge. BUT! when I take 1dmg I still have 2429 to absorb (in full charge version) is that correct?

Sorry for possible lame question, I want to be perfectly sure since I'm still not convinced Barkshield over Negation...

thanks!
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • xnghtmrxxnghtmrx Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds like you lose a Charge even if you only take 1 dmg... "...Whenever you take damage one charge of Bolstered Bark is consumed."
    Whenever you take damage (even if its only 1 dmg) one charge of Bolstered Bark is consumed... So I'd say you still have 1620 dmg to absorb (2 charges).
    edited October 2013
    Well that's sucks :/ can any1 actually running barkshield confirm this please?

2). Yes. I am panzer!
    edited October 2013
    I'd like someone to confirm too... Because TRs Cloud of Steel could take down all 3 charges of Bark :S
    edited October 2013
    Seriously it can't be like this. If it is, this enchant is just stupid....

2). Yes. I am panzer!
    edited October 2013
    kemi1984 wrote: »
    Just want to be sure I'm getting it correctly. Assuming it's strictly for PVE GF - no tenes, PF enchants etc - It's quite clear that each hit no matter the dmg takes away one charge. BUT! when I take 1dmg I still have 2429 to absorb (in full charge version) is that correct?

Sorry for possible lame question, I want to be perfectly sure since I'm still not convinced Barkshield over Negation...

thanks!

No, I believe that should read absorbs up to 810 damage.

The thing is I take no damage with guard up, but Barkshield is STILL depleted.

edited October 2013
    Well that's sucks :/ can any1 actually running barkshield confirm this please?

Confirmed. Which is why I filed a bug report. If you take ZERO damage (e.g. due to Guard) the Bolstered Bark should not be consumed, but it is.

edited October 2013
    Confirmed. Which is why I filed a bug report. If you take ZERO damage (e.g. due to Guard) the Bolstered Bark should not be consumed, but it is.

Thanks for checking this out. Waiting to get this one fixed than...

2). Yes. I am panzer!
    edited October 2013
    So is not every time you take damage but every time you are being hit?
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We're looking into these reports. Thanks for posting!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for info Som!
    We're looking fwd to hearing those great news soon:D

Edit.

One thing is to fix/correct enchants cooperating with GF's guard.
    Another, maybe even more important, is to correctly describe how the enchant works.

We need to know does ANY amount of dmg depletes one charge of bolstered bark, or it need to take certain amount of dmg (like mentioned in the tooltip) to get depleted.

That's the key point if you ask me...
    I will test it on lesser today/tomorrow & give you guys a shout.

2). Yes. I am panzer!
  • dante125pldante125pl Banned Users Posts: 42
    edited October 2013
    they still didnt fix plaguefire enchant, do u think they ill ever manage to fix barkshield??
    edited October 2013
    dante125pl wrote: »
    they still didnt fix plaguefire enchant, do u think they ill ever manage to fix barkshield??

If you go with that attitude, nothing ever gets fixed, which is patently untrue.

Also, it is highly unlikely that Plague Fire is broken in Feywild by accident because with its normal 3x stacking debuff it would be far better than every single new weapon enhancement (and better than Vorpal or Lightning for low crit chance classes and builds). It is just another one of those stealth nerfs/undocumented changes that have been used frequently in this game since the beginning. Even whole classes are affected by them, e.g. the Cleric.
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for info Som!
    We're looking fwd to hearing those great news soon:D

Edit.

One thing is to fix/correct enchants cooperating with GF's guard.
    Another, maybe even more important, is to correctly describe how the enchant works.

We need to know does ANY amount of dmg depletes one charge of bolstered bark, or it need to take certain amount of dmg (like mentioned in the tooltip) to get depleted.

That's the key point if you ask me...
    I will test it on lesser today/tomorrow & give you guys a shout.

Yeap, it's broken. Unless I'm reding it incorrectly. If ANY dmg takes off one charge than this enchant is pretty much useless.
    I can confirm than no matter what dmg you take, nor if you're holding your shield up, one charge goes poof!!

That sucks hard, I was hoping to have an alternative to Negation :(

2). Yes. I am panzer!
    edited November 2013
    Bumb it up.
    Can we have any update on it?

I didn't test the normal or higher versions. Can anyone using them confirm it's broken as described above?

2). Yes. I am panzer!