test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Easiest class to play?

rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Got a DC and a CW. Was wondering if the fighter types play anything like their cousins in other games, usually easier? Mainly PvE...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
Post edited by rortie on

Comments

• Options
    chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Devoted Cleric is the Hardest. the rest is easy...
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    None of the classes are any more or less difficult than others imo. That said, heal spec DC and GF are the slowest and most painful to level.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rortie wrote: »
    Got a DC and a CW. Was wondering if the fighter types play anything like their cousins in other games, usually easier? Mainly PvE...

For PvE, I've found the Great Weapon Fighter, (GWF), to be the easiest to solo. They do good damage and have excellent survivability. Their attacks and other abilities are, IMO, flashier than the GF's, and they have some cool looking weapons and armor. After the GWF, I've found the CW the next easiest to solo, (even easier in some circumstances), then the GF/TR, (GF because of lower damage, TR because of lighter armor), and finally the DC, (I rank them lowest simply due to lower damage, though their survivability is quite high).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Great Weapon Fighter is without question the easiest to play and a lot of fun too. Can take a lot of punishment before they die and they deal good damage. Get a Cleric companion and you'll jut breeze through the game. In my opinion Half-Orcs make the best GWF, but Humans and Dwarfs should be good too.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It's a two-fer.

The Great Weapon Fighter moves fast, hits relatively hard, and can live longer than the others on his own (if he's using pots). Standard melee class. Moves are relatively slow so you have more time to think, and more room for error. Not an easy class to be great at, but an easy class to go solo with. Just remember, they are a fighter, not a barbarian, and thus they are designed to be more of the defender role than a striker.

Most powerful? Control Wizard. Going from my GWF to a CW made me feel like I was cheated in life. Control Wizards wreck things, and they can do it from afar. Problem with CW's is things move faster. Have to think faster, react faster, be ready to dodge quickly. There's always some spell or ability going off, some movement you have to make. But if your quick on the mouse, CW is easier than any other class by far.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    GWF is super-easy to play. No need to worry about dungeons and PvP, you won't do any. Your gwf will be doing only foundries. No need either to learn your Dailies, or which rotation of which encounters, it's all nerfed beyond repair.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    GWF is super-easy to play. No need to worry about dungeons and PvP, you won't do any. Your gwf will be doing only foundries. No need either to learn your Dailies, or which rotation of which encounters, it's all nerfed beyond repair.

Ouch. Many agree with this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I suppose that would depend entirely on how you enjoy playing your fighters. GF's and GWF's play very differently. If you want to be able to take a hit from anything and keep going, build a GF and accept that you have just enough speed to escape from an oncoming glacier - but only barely. If you want to be able to do significant AoE damage and be mobile, go with a GWF but recognize that they can be harder to play "effectively" from many people's perspectives.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Devoted Cleric is the Hardest. the rest is easy...

Lol I have all classes 60 and find DC the easiest to play. I don't have to worry about anything except for "is there a blue circle on the ground? No, well time to put one there". Heh it's very relaxing though, I can do dungeons half paying attention and I never have to worry about the actual screen, only the player health bars on the left and where my circle is going to go once every ~15 seconds.

From a PvP standpoint the Sent GWF is one of the easiest to play, but it seems one of the harder ones to gear. I see a lot of terrible gear choices on them... I think setting up your character properly is half the battle. But once you're in beast mode gear wise it's pretty easy to press tab and not die =P

PvE standpoint I would say DC though.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Try all the melee classes for a few levels and see what you like. GWF feels more frantic and fast paced but I found I preferred the GF play-style more. My hope is that the new classes (Ranger/Warlock) will fill a niche in pve parties that will allow the mentality that you need 3 CW's for every dungeon to die off.
  • Options
    ealonealon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have a near 30 DC. Haven't had too much trouble. Does that mean i'm in for a butt whoopin later? :eek:
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ealon wrote: »
    Have a near 30 DC. Haven't had too much trouble. Does that mean i'm in for a butt whoopin later? :eek:

Depends a lot on how you play and who you play with. DC can be a lot of fun to play, they're just a bit more limited than some of the other classes in areas like PvP.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the botclass seems easy and sometimes more effective then humans in pvp. :D
  • Options
    ameranth342ameranth342 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    There is no such thing as a 'easy' class to play, its all down to how YOU play them, every player as a different playstyle, it is more about finding a class and set up which suits your playstlye, and probably more importantly one you enjoy, if you dont realy enjoy a class your defeating the whole object of the game, FUN and ENTERTAIMENT. Things are always easier if your enjoying yourself along the way.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Interestingly I found the GWF to be difficult to play. It gets *nothing* good until mid levels; the first at will aoe is very late in the game and it takes many levels to get a decent single target basher as well. So there you are with long cooldown aoe attacks that can take out a few trash once in a while but take too long to cool down to spam, and nothing at all that really works against the tougher mobs. That means you take a serious beating from all the tougher guys and bosses while you have to stand around waiting on cooldowns when questing around trash. The class becomes quite good and is actually tied with wizard for my favorite AT 60 but leveling up, the gwf is anything but easy and I put it as only marginally better than a cleric before level 30 or so. Thankfully levels go fast so the frustration only lasts a few days.

GF is very, very easy. Nothing really does much damage to you, your at will aoe can easily clear trash at any level 1-60, and your encounters hit sufficiently hard to solo the harder mobs rapidly. If you build for high damage, it is a very fun and easy class to play. Tanking is harder and a lower dps survival & threat build is more challenging to play in a group.

Wizard is also fairly easy, with hard hitting aoe and single target skills that really kick in after only a few levels (after level 10 or so its just a cakewalk). However, it is not a durable class and you can actually die, making it marginally harder than the GF. If you have no trouble kiting or maneuvering in combat, its just as easy, but because you have to do those things, it is a little more difficult, see? The GF really can just stand there and take it from 99% of the soloable content.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Interestingly I found the GWF to be difficult to play. It gets *nothing* good until mid levels; the first at will aoe is very late in the game and it takes many levels to get a decent single target basher as well. So there you are with long cooldown aoe attacks that can take out a few trash once in a while but take too long to cool down to spam, and nothing at all that really works against the tougher mobs. That means you take a serious beating from all the tougher guys and bosses while you have to stand around waiting on cooldowns when questing around trash. The class becomes quite good and is actually tied with wizard for my favorite AT 60 but leveling up, the gwf is anything but easy and I put it as only marginally better than a cleric before level 30 or so. Thankfully levels go fast so the frustration only lasts a few days.
    I don't know what kind of problems you could have had with while you were leveling your GWF, I found it to be a walk in the park. Between the Cleric Companion, Unstoppable, and Restoring Strike, I barely had to use any potions. But you're right, when you get to level 60 and have all your powers and feats, it's even better and a lot more fun. I would say GWF it's at tie with the Rogue for my favorite class. Rogues are a bit more tricky to play as you need to maneuver a lot to avoid damage, while GWF can take a lot more damage and go Unstoppable.
    ... Speaking of Rogues, I am surprised no one has mentioned yet how overpowered they are :rolleyes:
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Alot of this, if you can't tell Op, comes down to personal preference and playstyle.

GWF and GF are both fighters. They are both defenders. They are both meant to be tanks. But the classes themselves can be played very differently, including different speeds, attention requirements, and methods of thinking.

And even within a class, as I am first and foremost a GWF, I have seen differences in successful approaches. My guild mates prefer the 'sit still and duke it out' approach, and have built their GWF's accordingly. Their tank is significant, their gank is stronger, and they make great frontline fighters and boss managers. They generally use sprint defensively, and unstoppable offensively. Some use Sentinel builds, some Destroyer, and some hybrids.

Me and a few others, though, use GWF as skirmishers. I move more than anybody I've seen in PvP, including the local CW's. I'm constantly applying damage or CC to multiple targets. My tank is amazing, namely due to my offensive use of sprint and defensive use of unstoppable, waiting till it's full 100% for full bonus. My gank suffers, but again, I'm applying more CC than anything else. If only I had a bit more threat (I do have related feats), I would make an amazing add tank.

The point is that the classes are very diverse, and it's really going to come down to how you sync with them. A lot of players see imbalances where the real issue is player input. When you have a full crew at the top of their game, no class is really better than the other in it's given situation.

So listen when a player says 'GWF suck' or 'CW are broken', and take it with half a heart. Play the class yourself.

GF are an amazing class and many work wonders with it, and as much as I love fighters, I can't play it for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I'm so frustrated with how slow they move and how little it feels like they can do. But on the same breath, I also don't care for TR due to how much effort I have to spend trying to stay alive.

If I were like many others, I'd try to have those classes altered to fit my personal playstyle. But I recognize that not all players are the same, and in fact are just the opposite, and that there is nothing wrong with those classes ... just me playing those classes wrong.

Just keep that in mind.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When soloing, I'd say that I find TRs the easiest to play, but in a dungeon I'd say DCs - partly because of their very limited choice of actions there.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    GWF - Easiest to play and be bad but still not die instantly (you can level to 60 super easily). Hardest to be good. Impossible to be amazing because the class is nerfed hard core.

GF - Another easy one to be bad with and not die instantly (you can level to 60 easily). Takes the right feat setup and gear but can be amazing in both damage and surviving.

CW - Absolute beast when it comes to controlling and killing everything in sight. (Be careful, though. In epic dungeons, this class is very key to success. If you aren't doing at least "good" then it's likely a wipe. The party cannot carry a bad wizard unless there's another wizard that's good there.)

TR - Easy to level to 60. If you're not good then you'll spend most of your time dead in epic dungeons. But a good rogue can be extremely useful. Be aware, though, that rogues are EVERYWHERE! and you generally only need one in a group. So odds are, you aren't getting a group unless you have friends/a good guild.

DC - this is the one class I don't have as much experience with. From what I gather, the hard part is leveling to 60 if solo.
  • Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I tried cw, gwf, tr and dc so far, and personally i find

most easy: tr>cw>dc>gwf

with the gwf i sometimes had the problem that you cant block anything and also not really dodge so effective as a wizard or tr, so you take more hits and have to watch your hp more carefully.

gf isnt really my playstile :)
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    ealon wrote: »

In my opinion there are two phases to a of DC;

- The easy part soloing and leveling to 60.
    - The hard part where you have to essentially forego all of your offensive capabilities and become an exclusive healer in dungeons at level 60. Even most PvP groups will chew you out if your are trying to kill/DPS. True, you can get a more offensive cleric build but I guarantee you that you will not have fun in most groups as everybody hates a cleric that doesn't make healing/buffing/de-buffing his/her priority. Only time you can get away with dealing damage over healing is if there are two clerics, one to heal while the other kills stuff, or if you are in a well-played/experienced group that can look after itself without a DC and they don't mind you tagging along and going wild.

What is particularly nasty about a level 60 DC in an epic dungeon is that you are an aggro magnet and if there is no GF/bad GF in the party, you will be drawing mobs from across the world. Healing Word may as well be renamed Healing Taunt because casting that in a dungeon fight is like putting up a huge neon sign that says ''ALL SPEARS, AXES, ARROWS AND CASTS GO HERE''. Factor in that you are likely running powers geared to healing and de-buffing targets, it can be a hell of a battle getting mobs off of you while looking after the others.

I leveled my DC to 60 running 60% solo and 40% with a TR & CW. Was pretty easy. But be prepared to completely change the way you play at level 60 in PvPs and Dungeons. Different animal all together.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't really speak for that many classes, but between the two geared 60s I have, CW and TR, I have to say that CW is easier by far.

CW I can really just jump/move around a bit (as long as I'm not in red circles it's k), spam encounters and storm pillar like crazy to kill things, use either OF or sing depending on what's better for the situation, and just hope I don't have aggro of everything in the room (which unfortunately, I usually do). Getting good damage on CW is ridiculously easy as long as you're not dumb. The class is fairly straight-forward in PvE once you have your build set up well (still working mine out though, but it's getting there). However, in PvP, I feel like CW is one of the harder classes to play, especially as you're extremely squishy and your CCs are easily dodgeable (except for Icy Rays really), and classes like TR and GF can easily negate your CCs/damage skills if you're not careful.

On the other hand, I find TR to be a lot harder to play in PvE. In order to maximise damage, you need to know how to work your AoE skills (Dazing Strike, Duelist's Flurry and Blitz, though blitz is easy and just a spammable skill really), and usually you'd need to work and time your skills with a CW who uses tabbed entangle/sing to get good damage. Also some bosses such as Malabog are a lot more difficult than fighting your typical mobs; where I can jump around mobs in stealth or rely on CWs to CC them, I can't do that with a boss. Also trying to maintain WR on a teleporting boss isn't even really that easy (and I usually don't bother anyway, too much trouble and the boss dies at the same speed anyway). Whereas CWs are at range and can stay out of the way of most attacks, TRs are melee and always up close; therefore, you always have to keep an eye out for danger. PvP-wise, yeah, TR is far easier than CW. I have ITC and stealth, it's far easier to stay alive than just keeping distance. Although on both chars, I detest TRs that simply spam impact shot + CoS and do nothing else. At least you have to make sure they can't dodge LB, lol.

Solo, CWs are still easier than TR. Killing things take way longer on TR than it does on CW (mobs at least, ofc TR > CW for single targets).
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »

Sad but true.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gwf not worrying about pvp? lol
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Answer always depends on playstyle and capabilities: whether you like to move around a lot, be proactive, or whether you prefer to take a stand and soak up punishment. Whether you like to be of benefit to your team, or top damage meters, etc., etc. Whether you like to press lots of buttons to do a job or just one. Whether you like timing-dependent combos or steady pressure.

For me, the best class in the game atm is the CW - but you have to be quick on your feet to take advantage of its huge potential damage output and control ability, because you can go splat at any moment if you mis-time things. But then again, my CW is the highest level atm, and that might change as I level up the others more. Also as a CW you are an aggro magnet and that tends to develop an amusing but exhausting Benny Hill scenario in dungeons with the multitudes of adds these dungeons spew out :)

GF, TR and DC are also fun in their various ways. Nothing says "Baruk Khazad!" like a Dwarven GF. The other classes all have their cool tricks.

Like some others have said above, for me I just coulnd't get on with the GWF - the first AW was just too weird for me to cope with.