test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why isn't gear randomized in games like it was in Diablo?

endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just random except harder areas got better chance at really nice stuff.. then no constant run for "Bobs Uber Belt of Epic Death".. AH would always had different stuff and stats.. personally I like it because everyone is different then. Lots of variety. But no games do it. Its FUN! Makes more like D&D as you never know what might happen. Makes scrolls valuable.. maybe health, maybe crit, maybe proc, maybe etc. Uber folks can still buy the best on AH..everyone can look different too. Probably costs more as always..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by endocin on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Isn't the gear here, (up to blue gear at least), random? It uses a series of prefixes and suffixes attached to a base item - like how 'nefarious' always applies a bonus to a specific stat and such...

The purple pieces appear to have their stats specifically chosen by the devs...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My only gripe is that the blues have limited variety. You can't get a ring with say 234 lifesteal for example, 133 is the max.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    because diablo is diablo and this is neverwinter.

you have the ability to customize your gear with enchantments. you can use combinations of all kinds of gear to accomplish whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

in d3, everybody all had the same gear, the same slotted gems and very little variation.
  • artilliaartillia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Randomized stats on EQ in Diablo is the bane of its existence and core player hate the wide range. Nothing worse then getting high intelligence on a barbarian piece with zero strength.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    edited October 2013
    artillia wrote: »
    Randomized stats on EQ in Diablo is the bane of its existence and core player hate the wide range. Nothing worse then getting high intelligence on a barbarian piece with zero strength.

i'm not talking about the random rares. i'm talking about the uniques.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    NO WAY.

This is not an ARPG. I heavily dislike the pure RNG factor in games such as Diablo/PoE/TQ etc.

In NWO I know I can farm CN for Ancient weapons. I know I can get helmet T2 from SP. I don't want to be a slave to the pure RNG of suffixes and affixes on base items, it's insane.

Loot tables are amazingly fine. Please play an ARPG if you don't like them. When I didn't like RNG lootsplosions in PoE I was told to go play an MMO, so there you go the same road :P
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    artillia wrote: »
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i'm not talking about the random rares. i'm talking about the uniques.

Uniques in D3 have some random stats with the set ones too. Its funny, D3 items drop/loot is pretty much a failure. Even the Devs there admit it. They are working on what they call Loot 2.0 or something to fix it. I don't think any game anywhere would adpot that system.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Neverwinter and Diablo are not as different in this aspect as you may think.
    The thing in Neverwinter is that everyone is crazy about Gear Score, but if you search through the Blue gear you will find that it can have some pretty wild stats, kinda like the Magic/Rare gear in Diablo. Some Green items can have stats the you might not expect from that type of gear and even unusual sockets. I have found a belt with Offense Socket on it. Also I hear there some special rewards in PvP which can have unusual stats, but my experience with PvP is very limited.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    D3 is too random, I know that much. You have to filter through too many items, or did when I played.

I wouldn't cry if this got implemented, but I'm fine with things for the most part.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Don't all blue 60 belts have offensive sockets? Those aren't rare anymore. After they increased the blue drops, they become pretty common.

They went from selling 100k+ AD to pennies. The PvP gear fell into the same category.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    edited October 2013
    yes, there is the fact that d3 is about to have a loot make-over which would tell me that it's not as fantastic as the OP thinks it is.

i like the neverwinter loot system.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Actually that was how Ultima Online was built some years ago, all the mobs droped random gear with random properties. Only the end game bosses droped artifacts (named items).

I think in Neverwinter we still need "named items" from the T1/T2/CN/etc.... but giving random properties to blues and greens isnt a bad idea at all.
  • chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    okay kids, actually it's like this. in neverwinter people complains and hope that gear stats is randomize, because its NOT really that random. and vice versa, those games like D3/PoE when gear stats are so random. players will complain and hope that every gears stats are Not random.

same with games like elderscroll/skyrim. some players wish that gears should be random in skyrim. No company can please everyone.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Random loot is fun but frustrating as well and far, far better suited to a single player game like D3 (yes, you can group up, but it is still a single player game, on par with grouping for shar daily quests here).

Lorewise, in the D&D world, EVERY magical item was handcrafted with a fair bit of effort and expense on the part of the craftsman/enchanter/etc. Meaning, it would not even make sense to have hyper-random loot like diablo where you get a "wizards hat" with strength and dex or a barbarian's weapon with intellect and so on --- because no craftsman/enchanter would DO that.

I have played d3 for hours a night for weeks on end without getting more than 1 or 2 items that were even worth trying to sell or use. And my character is not a trillion gold character with the best stuff, it is just a casual MP3ish character with no item worth more than 10 million or so, and only a couple of those. a 10 million gold item is still novice level gear, the really good stuff is over 1 billion a pop for reference. I do not see this game going there -- where people kill mobs for weeks on end hoping for just the right combo of stats for each gear slot.

That said, family affix/prefix gear that is appropriate for one of the classes in a "limited random" way is pretty sweet and would be a nice halfway measure. For example, a "rogue's" prefix could mean the item rolled (crit chance, armor pen) or a "knight's" item could mean (deflection, defense) or a "caster's" item might have power, recovery. Combine those with some sort of suffix and so on... you start to get useful but random drops. I think what we have is pretty close to this idea already, but what is missing are the "flavor" additions like "chance to do X when hit or hitting" type fun stuff.
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The way DDO fif it last was was sort of as hybrid. You had your fixed stats... then for a piece of equipment it would have 1-3 psuedo-random stats based on what class the equipment was for. For example the ring that dropped in Sschindylryn would give you the following:

Seal of House Dun'Robar - Ring: Lesser Random Ability Score (enhancement +7 or insightful +2), Dodge 4%, (any of the following: Shatter +10, Stunning +10, Vertigo +10, Exceptional Combat Mastery +5, Tendon Slice 10%)

Something like this could be done.
  • armalyanaarmalyana Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I actually enjoy the loot as it is. Only thing I would love to be changed would be the chest loot at the end of a mission, I always get gear that is not for my actual toon... seriously?
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    armalyana wrote: »
    I actually enjoy the loot as it is. Only thing I would love to be changed would be the chest loot at the end of a mission, I always get gear that is not for my actual toon... seriously?

That has NEVER happened to me... what dev did you <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off?! I mean seriously!? That sounds like a bug.
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I have had that happen too..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited October 2013
    okay kids, actually it's like this. in neverwinter people complains and hope that gear stats is randomize, because its NOT really that random. and vice versa, those games like D3/PoE when gear stats are so random. players will complain and hope that every gears stats are Not random.

same with games like elderscroll/skyrim. some players wish that gears should be random in skyrim. No company can please everyone.

You are so wrong. Blizzard acknowledges that they screwed up the loot system. They fixed it with the release of the console version. Loot 2.0 or something. I don't really follow but friends say it is so much better cause you get stats that you can use instead of garbage.

Neverwinter needs a little ground - I suggested this way back. Just copy, World of Warcraft with "Hardmode" "Heroics" or whatever you want to call it. The gear is only just slightly better, but not by a whole lot that people think the "need" it to be successful in the game. Think professions where you can upgrade your Tier piece to make it slightly better. Not everyone is interested cause it is so small, but those that do have something to aim for.