test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do not get me wrong I love this game but..............

phantomarcher1phantomarcher1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am a capitalist and I know full well making money is a good feeling.

A little about myself and my gaming experiences first off.

I am a former paid to play gamer I have been retired for around 15 years. Recently came out of retirement and now play for fun.
I am a former CAL competitor, 97 CPL invitation competitor, Hosted 30 CS server's and each server had it own independent clan and MIRC channel. Which the clan i belonged to moderated those said Server's and MIRC channels 24/7 lol i feel old.
I beta'ed EQ1, DAOC, Lineage & Lineage 2, I beta'ed and was paid by certain Groups to beta these games including WOW.

Problem #1 The game has a progressive air to it: Only progressive activity i have seen is fast combat and cool effects.
problem #2 The drop ratios for gear in the lower lvls is so out of whack it is astounding.
problem #3 The only two character slots is a pain considering it will cost a person 200.00 for 3 additional character slot's.
problem #4 Auction house revolves around Diamond specifically and the only ways to acquire diamonds requires huge investments of time and hard earned cash and given the current economical status makes it harder to enjoy gaming.
problem #5 Chat interface it antiquated at best. The UI is antiquated, Though the game pretty much is what it is a great idea, But beyond that i have my reservations.

This is starting to be a RaiderZ and not limited to situation and we are all well aware what happened to the dozens of other games with this type of structure ='s money pit.

1) I was going through zen purchase options, 200.00 For the Hero pack that is a annual subscription for a 16.00 a month for a pay to play game that all content is available and the average cost of a pay to play game would actually pay out on the digital capital people are investing in.

2) That said 200.00 dollars doesn't give you anything besides a couple bells and ringers, doesn't unlock any new world content, It doesn't

A)Give anything besides shiny's..

B) It doesn't give anything substantial.

3) Who can afford to spend 200.00 on a digital valueless capital that really doesn't do anything but say hey "look at me i have a giant spider and a different companion".

My suggestions:

1) If you are going to offer digital capital make it worth the person's time to invest such a large sum of cash into that digital capital.
And we all know it doesn't cost you 200.00 to create the graphics for that spider or the character slots. Maybe 40-50.00 to create both in time for creation.

2) The Auction House should also allow Gold as a transaction currency. Diamonds will curve gold spamming, but that already happens and in game gold appears to completely worthless.

3) Yes this would give the impression that you are trying to curve gold spamming and increase revenue but given the current and future economy you may want to consider dropping the costs for players to enjoy the Perks of paying Cash to obtain digital capital.
Cont'd: The drop system for the unique gear vendor is to low and by the time the person actually gets enough of that unique trade drop item they are already to high to actually utilize that rare gear the bounty hunters offer.

4) Neverwinter is a wonderful game truly but you are already sinking the game into the money pit scenario.

5) This will have the same effect as RaiderZ did you will have a huge following then as you raise costs decrease availability to items and turning them in BOP items like you have been doing consistently with every patch, People are going to get fed up and bail and you will be holding yet another dead shell of a otherwise wonderful idea like your countless other free to play games.
Though they have made the in game digital capital better I fear they are going to lose out on this awesome game idea.
And the people who invested all that money will have nothing to show.
Hell when we competed and or paid for certain lan competitions we got something physical to say hey i did that and i have something substantial to show for it.
Post edited by phantomarcher1 on

Comments

• Options
    rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I've been gaming longer than most of today's players have been alive (true).

See, I sound like a pompous <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> already. Who you are and what your background is, is irrelevant. All customers that pay the same are equal.

“Why is it that whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean 'kiss my ***'?” - Ashley Williams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013

A little about myself and my gaming experiences first off.

I am a former paid to play gamer I have been retired for around 15 years. Recently came out of retirement and now play for fun.
    I am a former CAL competitor, 97 CPL invitation competitor, Hosted 30 CS server's and each server had it own independent clan and MIRC channel. Which the clan i belonged to moderated those said Server's and MIRC channels 24/7 lol i feel old.
    I beta'ed EQ1, DAOC, Lineage & Lineage 2, I beta'ed and was paid by certain Groups to beta these games including WOW.

1) I was going through zen purchase options, 200.00 For the Hero pack that is a annual subscription for a 16.00 a month for a pay to play game that all content is available and the average cost of a pay to play game would actually pay out on the digital capital people are investing in.

2) That said 200.00 dollars doesn't give you anything besides a couple bells and ringers, doesn't unlock any new world content, It doesn't

3) Who can afford to spend 200.00 on a digital valueless capital that really doesn't do anything but say hey "look at me i have a giant spider and a different companion".

My suggestions:

1) If you are going to offer digital capital make it worth the person's time to invest such a large sum of cash into that digital capital.
    2) The Auction House should also allow Gold as a transaction currency. Diamonds will curve gold spamming, but that already happens and in game gold appears to completely worthless.

3) Yes this would give the impression that you are trying to curve gold spamming and increase revenue but given the current and future economy you may want to consider dropping the costs for players to enjoy the Perks of paying Cash to obtain digital capital.

4) Neverwinter is a wonderful game truly but you are already sinking the game into the money pit scenario.

5) This will have the same effect as RaiderZ did you will have a huge following then as you raise costs decrease availability to items and turning them in BOP items like you have been doing consistently with every patch, People are going to get fed up and bail and you will be holding yet another dead shell of a otherwise wonderful idea like your countless other free to play games.
    Though they have made the in game digital capital better I fear they are going to lose out on this awesome game idea.
    Hell when we competed and or paid for certain lan competitions we got something physical to say hey i did that and i have something substantial to show for it.

I have a feeling that you have miss the massive flametrain that now stops at the f2p station, and stuck there. I may be wrong lol. Anyway, considering playing the game without spending any money first. If you like the game, you can either slowly purchase zen, then buy more useful stuff like mounts, which grants every single character of your account, existing or new, the mount. The ioun stone is also a good buy.

Otherwise, you may have earn enough astral diamonds (another ingame currency) to convert to zen, then slowly spend from there. If the game is really what you are looking for, you may want to look at the $60 pack Feywild Pack instead, which has almost all the $200 pack has, as the $200 pack is considered outdated.

Finally, you need to have a very thick skin if you want opinions from the forum. Prepare to have your post being torn to bits of sentences and getting them burn and trash, and be called a "bridge dweller" just because.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Instead of It is to long to read and you don't care, actually read what i have stated let it sink in there is nothing in that statement with me claiming i am superior.
    It indicates i have a Idea of what i am talking about and shows i am not some butt hurt person ranting on irrelevant preconceptions.
    You are not getting the point of the statement.
  • Options
    doryandarkstardoryandarkstar Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can get additional character slots a lot cheaper than $200, look in the zen store. Maybe $6 for 2 additional slots? I could look it up but I am lazy...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Truth is not negative man and if i was a troll i wouldnt of wasted time and effort clearing up what the point was in the beginning.
    A troll doesn't give substantial foundation for their claims.
    A troll doesn't offer solution's for their stance.
    A troll doesn't waste their time clarifying the message they are trying to convey.
    50 dollars is not a fair investment for a onetime offer with minimal return in investment.
    50 dollars is a full game not a mount two character slots and a companion.
    I am not being negative i am being realistic here.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah you can but the topic is they are sinking the game into another money pit for gamers.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I plan to do that i was just using the packs at examples for the money pit situation they are creating :).
  • Options
    timmbeertimmbeer Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Truth is not negative man and if i was a troll i wouldnt of wasted time and effort clearing up what the point was in the beginning.
    A troll doesn't give substantial foundation for their claims.
    A troll doesn't offer solution's for their stance.
    A troll doesn't waste their time clarifying the message they are trying to convey.
    50 dollars is not a fair investment for a onetime offer with minimal return in investment.
    50 dollars is a full game not a mount two character slots and a companion.
    I am not being negative i am being realistic here.

Not going to be a wet blanket, but if the company wants to change dramatically, the company would have change long ago. Cryptic did a one time "lower the zen purchase" for respecs token, dyes and some other stuff. You can browse back at all the suggestions made, especially anything concerning zen and the Neverwinter packs, and see how other response.

That is why I suggest you should play the game without spending money first, then see if the game deems your effort to fight for it, or just run away.
    "Lucky" is the new FOTM.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I love the game but i also see the future of this game based on the direction they are creating.
    They are slowly implementing BOP items, which restricts people from trading or sharing those items, that is kind of on the borderline of acceptable, and i fully understand why they are doing that. All i was saying is they are creating the money pit scenario and given their history it has not ended well for them in the past. And it is unlikely it will not end well for them now if they continue this path.
    I put this thread here in hopes the moderator will see it and mention they re-analyze their current trajectory is all.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    problem #3 The only two character slots is a pain considering it will cost a person 200.00 for 3 additional character slot's.

I couldn't read the whole thing. Way too pompous and preachy, But this stood out to me.

You can get two additional character slots for $5. And can do so up to 50 characters. Seems fairly generous to me.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013

Hero pack was to give the players the opportunity to help Cryptic just for the sake of helping. Virtue is its own reward, things like that. The subscriber might just have been given a forum title. It's a very different thing than their "reward for charge" program which is more aimed at getting recurring money from the players.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Again i wasn't being pompous I was giving foundation through years of experience for my statement's.
    On the topic of character slots.
    The character slots thing every game offers at least 4 slot's. not two slots that is a PWE thing that has created the pay to create a character you may or may not like which i understand they need funding for their game creation and maintenance. I have no quarrels with that besides being a pain :). You should really stop cherry picking and actually read what is stated pretty clearly.
    That they are slowly increasing a pay to win scenario which has been their error through many of their failed games.
    I want to see them continue on this path it presents a good situation for those with minimal money to invest, and i support that i really really do but they are not staying that path they are slowly implementing BOP items that are zen items not limited to mounts but armor that is not zen as well this limits access from people. They are progressively making the same mistakes they have countless times that has cost them more money in the long run than it would have if they where to just stay the path they started.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sometimes little investments make a large sum.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    my daughter has spent all of twenty dollars since launch her CW is in very nice looking powerful gear, she can run any content, she has a wicked looking mount, and she still has plenty to do...I on the other hand have spent about four hundred if you count both collectors packs and the Zen I have bought for Nevewinter STO and CO, but I did that because I chose to.

I'm not a professional gamer or anything, but I do have some industry experience.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Again i wasn't being pompous I was giving foundation through years of experience for my statement's.

ROFL. I can't help but think you sound pompous, while you're telling people you weren't being pompous. No one needs to know about your years of experience for you to say what you do/don't like about a video game.

On the topic of character slots.
    The character slots thing every game offers at least 4 slot's. not two slots that is a PWE thing that has created the pay to create a character you may or may not like which i understand they need funding for their game creation and maintenance. I have no quarrels with that besides being a pain :). You should really stop cherry picking and actually read what is stated pretty clearly.

I'm up to 34 character slots. I bought some with cash when the game was first released. The rest I got with AD I earned in the game. $5 for 2 slots is pretty cheap as far as games go. And they have already had at least one sale where they were considerably cheaper.

That they are slowly increasing a pay to win scenario which has been their error through many of their failed games.
    I want to see them continue on this path it presents a good situation for those with minimal money to invest, and i support that i really really do but they are not staying that path they are slowly implementing BOP items that are zen items not limited to mounts but armor that is not zen as well this limits access from people. They are progressively making the same mistakes they have countless times that has cost them more money in the long run than it would have if they where to just stay the path they started.

I don't play their other games. I've tried both STO and PW. Didn't like either. So I don't care what kind of system they use. This game, Neverwinter, is (in my opinion) one of the least pay to win or money gating games out there. They aren't charging for access to new areas. Or selling tickets to join in PvP matches. Or making me pay for more hotbars. Players aren't getting anything uber with cash unless I can get something just as good in game with AD.

There are things I would like to see of course. But I know, as a player my opinion is biased. I'd like to see the packs sold for Zen. And Mount/Companion upgrade prices adjusted. And a reward system for the foundry. And more classes. But overall the game is great. Many of the suggestions in your first post would ruin it. That's just my opinion though. Its up to the developers, who watch things behind the scenes, to decide what should, can, and will be done.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    You people really need to lay off of him. He was simply voicing his opinion and giving suggestions to the devs, then you all attack him just because of his extensive gaming background.

The quality of human beings dropping every day.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Problem #1 The game has a progressive air to it: Only progressive activity i have seen is fast combat and cool effects.

Since the game is mostly about combat, aside for making adventures in the Foundry, what else did you expect?
    problem #2 The drop ratios for gear in the lower lvls is so out of whack it is astounding.

Out of whack compared to what?

The $200 pack was for a bundle that included character slots. Characters slots can be purchased without being part of a bundle for much less money. That you don't know this basic fact makes all your critique suspect.
    problem #4 Auction house revolves around Diamond specifically and the only ways to acquire diamonds requires huge investments of time and hard earned cash and given the current economical status makes it harder to enjoy gaming.

The in game market does revolve around AD, but AD doesn't necessarily take a huge amount of time or hard cash to collect. Some methods of AD do take some time. Packs are occasionally offered that cost money that include AD in the bundle. You can exchange Zen for AD. But, you can also earn AD through selling drops and crafting. You are losing more credibility as you go on.
    problem #5 Chat interface it antiquated at best. The UI is antiquated, Though the game pretty much is what it is a great idea, But beyond that i have my reservations.

The chat interface could be better. The UI works fine as it is.

The Hero Pack is optional, unlike annual subscription fees. As such, this comparison doesn't have much meaning.
    2) That said 200.00 dollars doesn't give you anything besides a couple bells and ringers, doesn't unlock any new world content, It doesn't:

It gives you a tier 3 mount on all of your characters, at no additional cost. It gives you a tier 3 pet on all of your characters, at no additional cost. The more alts one has, the more benefit the package gives. So, it's not the fluff you make it out to be. Aside from that, the package includes priority access to the game should queue times ever develop.
    My suggestions:

And we all know it doesn't cost you 200.00 to create the graphics for that spider or the character slots. Maybe 40-50.00 to create both in time for creation.

We should also all know the cost of what they offer isn't to make up for the cost to produce the mount, character slots, or whatever. It goes toward the large pile of development costs that have to be made up when the game launches, and the development costs that continue to accrue with each new thing put out, along with the costs of maintenance, upgrading, and so forth.

No, gold shouldn't be the currency of the auction house. Gold has plenty of use when you are doing the higher tier content and you have to keep up your potion and healing kit supplies.

It would give the impression they are needlessly fiddling with the currency systems.
    Cont'd: The drop system for the unique gear vendor is to low and by the time the person actually gets enough of that unique trade drop item they are already to high to actually utilize that rare gear the bounty hunters offer.

That gear is used mainly as skins when one is higher level, not for actual use as weapons.

Neverwinter is only a money pit if a player can't control his spending on the game.

Speculation doesn't equal fact.
  • Options
    wergildwergild Member Posts: 33
    edited October 2013
    I would just like to add that it is very easy to earn AD (and a very small time investment - you could watch TV or play for a couple hours, for example). You can earn 25,000 a day easily.
  • Options
    therancidcattherancidcat Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can i point out, that everything Money related, the Zen store, Lockboxes, packs, are controlled by the games Publisher, Perfect World Entertainment (PWE) and not the Dev's of Cryptic.
    Now Do you honestly think PWE give two hoots about the future game population, the lore, whether people have much money out in the real world? No, they just want to make as much money as possible, before the ship sinks, which is the normal model for mmorpg's these days, they launch are hugely popular for 6-12months and then die.
    So yes the game is a huge cash grab, for PWE, just look at all the games they host, they are in the business of makin money.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You people really need to lay off of him. He was simply voicing his opinion and giving suggestions to the devs, then you all attack him just because of his extensive gaming background.

The quality of human beings dropping every day.

If we are going to look at quality of human beings lets look at all sides shall we? Coming off as pompous and preachy has set consequences on line and in real life, it's one of those life skills you should learn by first grade.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did you know that when potatoes were imported in Europe, they were first brought in as decorative plants, for their flowers ?
    And because the potato's fruits are toxic, containing solanine, people were reluctant in the beginning consuming it's root tubercules, the actual potatoes. So, in order to encourage the population to use them as food, a smart french scientist devised an ingenious plan to make people use potatoes. They created a potato field, and they had it ostensibly guarded during day time, in order to make people steal them during the night.

So anytimes you feel that you have gained good value by some exploit, or shady deal ... double check if in reality aren't you the one fooled. :D
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    If we are going to look at quality of human beings lets look at all sides shall we? Coming off as pompous and preachy has set consequences on line and in real life, it's one of those life skills you should learn by first grade.

Since we're bringing things back to first grade, isn't that where you're suppose to learn the ABC's? So shouldn't you know Perfect World Entertainment's abbreviation is PWE, not PWI? (Directing my attention to your signature.)

Back to the point. Examining the quality of all human beings, I'll start with you. You say there are certain consequences for pompous and preachy people, though the only way to know if someone is being pompous or preachy is to look at ones own opinion, and since this is all based on opinnions, that means there are no set rules or guild lines for how one should act when encountering a pompous or preachy person. To sum it up, you choose who is pompous and preachy, you also choose the consequences, and since you choose for there to be any consequences for someone being pompous or preachy, it basically makes you another internet bully.

TL;DR? Because of someones personality, you choose to single them out and be a complete ******.
    Grow up.