test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter for MAC OS X?

skoakfoldskoakfold Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Will Neverwinter ever work on MAC OS X?

I'm accustomed to troll's so serious responses only please.
Post edited by skoakfold on

Comments

• Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Theoretically, it should work under Wine (Crossover). Although I would suggest you either Bootcamp Windows or run a Virtual Machine. It's probably easier to get it to run in either one of those two.
  • Options
    kejser91kejser91 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    why even buy a mac for gaming
  • Options
    skoakfoldskoakfold Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kejser91 wrote: »
    Girlfriends laptop.
  • Options
    judgemonroejudgemonroe Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kejser91 wrote: »

That's not usually how it works. It's typically "Buy a Mac for work/utility. Hey let's see if I can play some game on here, too." Answer: yes. Unless you ask on the Internet where morons don't understand that computers have a use beyond generating triangles at a rapid pace. But thanks for the nonanswer to a question you're going to see asked of every game from here on out; you better get used to it.
  • Options
    vornamvornam Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yes... download CodeWeavers' CrossOver form this page http://www.codeweavers.com/via/dungeons-and-dragons-neverwinter/
    Follow the instructions down there.
    You can download a 14 days trial and test the game.

I am patching the game, at the moment.
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    vornam wrote: »
    Yes... download CodeWeavers' CrossOver from this page http://www.codeweavers.com/via/dungeons-and-dragons-neverwinter/

Seconded.

CrossOver works great for my various Macs that have the right hardware specs for the game.
  • Options
    petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm running NW via Wine on a 2012 MBP. Before anyone bashes me for using my mobile for gaming, it's because sometimes I want do my dailies when I need to travel.

But very often, if i attempt to play any longer I will get a D3D out of memory error (or something along those lines). AFAIK, there's no DirectX on OSX. After that, the game quits itself.

Anyone else getting the same error?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    petpet2 wrote: »
    I'm running NW via Wine on a 2012 MBP. Before anyone bashes me for using my mobile for gaming, it's because sometimes I want do my dailies when I need to travel.

But very often, if i attempt to play any longer I will get a D3D out of memory error (or something along those lines). AFAIK, there's no DirectX on OSX. After that, the game quits itself.

Why not dual-boot into Windows, instead of using an emulator?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    petpet2 wrote: »

Mobile gaming is great. I'm running on a late-2011 MacBook Pro via CrossOver with no errors. I work in a telecom NOC, so I like to multitask my work apps with NW running in the background for professions, browsing the AH, and running quick little quests during quiet times. Plus, I can always hop over to Starbucks or McD's and play there for lunch. WINE has made boot camping is pointless for this game.

My hackintosh with an nVidia 660 GTX will rarely (~once a month) get a similar error and crash out. I just reload the NW application and play on normally.

For everyone who didn't know, WINE/CrossOver ports the game to OS X, it is NOT a slow Windows emulator.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skoakfold wrote: »
    Will Neverwinter ever work on MAC OS X?

I'm accustomed to troll's so serious responses only please.

it might be next year since sto should get mac version this year whit season 8
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    For anyone else interested in playing on their Macs, but they don't have CrossOver, use this website to port Neverwinter via WINE:
    http://portingteam.com/files/file/7839-neverwinter-online-dungeons-dragons/
  • Options
    vornamvornam Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wine is not an emulator.
    WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator.

It's a compatibility layer: it gets codes from the running software, and it translates it to executable code of the hosting machine.
    An emulator is something that "bubbles" an entire instance of an operative system (or hardware, sometimes) and makes it run into a window.

Wine, and all of its children as well, like CrossOver is, works in run time, in user space of the *nix system.
    For gaming, it mainly translate D3D instructions into OpenGL ones, making the video rendering possible on non-windows systems.
    The software runs on the machine hardware directly, through a translation of the codes that it's still passed to the CPU as executable; so the software is actually "native" (or rather, "translated")

The reasons why it's better to use Wine than bootcamping are:
    1. I don't have to reboot into a horrendously bugged OS
    2. I still have all my shell, desktop, files, commands, Apps, whatever in the background when I play.
  • Options
    petpet2petpet2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Why not dual-boot into Windows, instead of using an emulator?

because i deleted bootcamp right before NW's open beta =D.

I've ran D3 on bootcamp, it was very stable and smooth then. idk but NW may run more stable in bootcamp, at least for me.
  • Options
    woodrow83woodrow83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    very cool man. i am using this process as we speak.