test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

deflection build?

bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Thieves' Den
So with enchants and boons that deflect damage anyone stacking deflection? What is the soft cap? I am finding that TR end up tanking bosses......so wondering how people are building to survive? I have read the life steal is #1 but was curious about deflection. Other games I have played people generally say HP is pretty much always the most beneficial...
Post edited by bkloes on

Comments

• munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bkloes wrote: »
    So with enchants and boons that deflect damage anyone stacking deflection? What is the soft cap? I am finding that TR end up tanking bosses......so wondering how people are building to survive? I have read the life steal is #1 but was curious about deflection. Other games I have played people generally say HP is pretty much always the most beneficial...

I run a deflection gear set for PvP and love it.

Had many a complaints from people fighting me of how tanky my TR is.

27%dmg reduction and 41% Deflect, just under 26k health.

Deflection and Regen will be about your best bet for a pure PvP gear set imo as a TR. But with that, you need to have high deflect and regen, and normally people are running Greater Tene's with this set. Without the Greater Tene's, and stacking regen gear and deflect, your damage will be total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, because you sacrifice just about everything when you slot the regen gear/jewelry.

With my pvp gear, I haven't noticed a difference in damage at all. Only noticeable difference is I'm tanky as all hell, and have yet to be one shot, even by P-Vorpal users and being debuffed.

I chose to bring up my deflect because I seem to always be fighting GWF's 1 vs 1 for contesting nodes in premades. I don't run a perma type build, so without defense I wasn't lasting very long VS well geared/played GWF's. Now, if I play smart, I can hold a point vs a well played/geared Sent GWF 1 vs 1 for quite sometime if I am playing well that particular match. If I am able to get them below 50% health, I 9-10 times am able to kill them with Shocking. The goal is just to survive long enough to get a daily and bring them below 50%, and hopefully keep it a 1 vs 1 without his team coming to help.
  • rishzothrishzoth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've had the high deflect build on my TR since open beta, but don't play my rogue much anymore.

• quetzogghandrquetzogghandr Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm actually experimenting with this right now, for PvE (boss tanking).

As a Halfling rogue spending all my ability points on DEX and CHA (starting with 16+2 in both stats at creation), I rolled out the gate with 15% deflect chance, or 16.5% with campfire buff. Add to that 9% from 6 more points in DEX and CHA (at lvl 60), 3% from Lucky Skirmisher, and the bonus you get from your score (Gear, enchantments, Sharrandar boons...) -- 13.6% if you stack as little as 2.000 points* -- and you end up with a Deflection chance of 42.1%. With a trickster rogue's deflect severity, that equates an expected damage reduction of 31.5% from deflecting alone. Slap some defense on as well, and you quickly become one tanky son of a toon.

Note that I haven't actually finished this build yet. It's still a work in progress, but I am expecting lots of awesome from it.

* 2.000 points in deflection can for example be obtained, if you use the Sinister Shade set (518 points), Ancient Spymaster's weapons (206 points), 2 rings, a necklace and a belt with 150 deflect each (600 points), the Fey Elusiveness boon (250 points) and slot Silveries in a bunch of your defense sockets. You could slot Azure as well, to raise your Defense instead, but that can and will be slashed drastically by things with Armor Penetration.
  • ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Playing through my 3rd TR right now and only through pvp.

Currently level 42 and stacking 1.4k deflection, absolutely loving it. I initially started out all power because quite frankly defense isn't too noticeable in earlier stages, even with little AP, which is exactly what I've (had) to sacrifice, still haven't noticed any drawbacks on this. My first sin has 2k AP and I feel alot of the time during pvp and gvg that some of it's wasted, not sure what the diminishing returns are on AP but I'm quite happy dropping it in favour of deflect.

My current TR feels very tanky and not at all underpowered for it, it's nice running round 4 opponents while capping or just running then all off while the rest of the team caps. Even getting 1 or 2 kills in in 1vs3/4
  • arcrivalarcrival Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    PvE I do not really see the need for this build. If you are in an all out battle GvG I could see the potential imagine the peops going wtf why wont he die. Now what is your DPS like. You have to be making an offensive sacrifice. If you are still hitting some good LB's from stealth i guess it wont matter just be a different play style. I mean viable if the deflect plays out at lvl 60 and your dps aint total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. A GWF does this because he can achieve high defense and deflection and use tenes and powers to stay on a point. Plus the more people that show up = more hp steal w/ aoe so it is a good build but with a TR if you give up being a crit 1 shot king to meh I can run around and after my teams dead because I wasnt there to destroy the CW's and other TR's then now 2 peops run over and melt me then it was not such a great idea.

I guess my point is this build would seem more situational. It will be interesting to see the end product I have my TR on preview and will do some testing to. what gear are you using or have tried so far?
  • pipetstebepipetstebe Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Give mor3 feedback and equipment ideas for this build please im v.interested :)
  • spicenspicen Member Posts: 248 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    I run a deflection gear set for PvP and love it.

Had many a complaints from people fighting me of how tanky my TR is.

27%dmg reduction and 41% Deflect, just under 26k health.

Deflection and Regen will be about your best bet for a pure PvP gear set imo as a TR. But with that, you need to have high deflect and regen, and normally people are running Greater Tene's with this set. Without the Greater Tene's, and stacking regen gear and deflect, your damage will be total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, because you sacrifice just about everything when you slot the regen gear/jewelry.

With my pvp gear, I haven't noticed a difference in damage at all. Only noticeable difference is I'm tanky as all hell, and have yet to be one shot, even by P-Vorpal users and being debuffed.

I chose to bring up my deflect because I seem to always be fighting GWF's 1 vs 1 for contesting nodes in premades. I don't run a perma type build, so without defense I wasn't lasting very long VS well geared/played GWF's. Now, if I play smart, I can hold a point vs a well played/geared Sent GWF 1 vs 1 for quite sometime if I am playing well that particular match. If I am able to get them below 50% health, I 9-10 times am able to kill them with Shocking. The goal is just to survive long enough to get a daily and bring them below 50%, and hopefully keep it a 1 vs 1 without his team coming to help.

Hey, I'm wondering how high i should stack deflect for it to be effective? With my current build on live servers I have abit over 28k hp and over 1k regen but only 15% delfect. With respec, and switching hp enchants to deflect i could get it up to near 30% and I would lose about 2k hp. What do you think, should i switch that 2k hp to double my deflect chance? I need to save AD alot first though so this is quite the long shot. (I regret not choosing halfling when i would've actually could choose it.) :D
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spicen wrote: »
    Hey, I'm wondering how high i should stack deflect for it to be effective? With my current build on live servers I have abit over 28k hp and over 1k regen but only 15% delfect. With respec, and switching hp enchants to deflect i could get it up to near 30% and I would lose about 2k hp. What do you think, should i switch that 2k hp to double my deflect chance? I need to save AD alot first though so this is quite the long shot. (I regret not choosing halfling when i would've actually could choose it.) :D

I dont literally zero experience with any sort of regen gear I'm afraid.

The only thing honestly that I am lacking in my set up, IS regen. However, my gear fits my playstyle perfectly and I love my gear, i wouldnt sacrifice any of it to gain regen.

For you however...if you were able to double your deflect, and only lose 2k health, I would absolutely say go for it. Deflect is absolutely insane for us. I cant stress it enough.

Heres a video I just made, somewhere in it I show my stats if you are curious.

Its a random pug I solo q'd for, and it showcases very well how effective having high deflect is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XzXyGUS0Q