test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW Shield damage reduction

bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2013 in PvE Discussion
The tool tip on this power says "absorbs a large amount of damage" it does not state figures or even a percentage.

All i can find on the web is from Wiki which was posted in may:

5/20/2013 - Tested this spell by jumping off ledges. Tested ten times and it is clear that the damage reduction is exactly 50%, or 80% if in the spell mastery slot. A single hit (of any strength) drops the shield and then requires 6 seconds to reform. When the shield is diminished, it still reduces damage by 10%.

But since then we know it as been nerfed, But what actually was nerfed and what is the actual current damage reduction these days?

Most in game tool tips are just so very vague they could mean anything and finding actual facts and figures that are up to date is near impossible even from PWE or Cryptic.

Does anybody actually know what this power does and what its values are, i would have thought if Cryptic knew it would be included in the tooltip ? would be nice to have some figures to work from than just "a large amount"
Post edited by bowdidly on

Comments

• Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bowdidly wrote: »
    The tool tip on this power says "absorbs a large amount of damage" it does not state figures or even a percentage.

All i can find on the web is from Wiki which was posted in may:

5/20/2013 - Tested this spell by jumping off ledges. Tested ten times and it is clear that the damage reduction is exactly 50%, or 80% if in the spell mastery slot. A single hit (of any strength) drops the shield and then requires 6 seconds to reform. When the shield is diminished, it still reduces damage by 10%.

But since then we know it as been nerfed, But what actually was nerfed and what is the actual current damage reduction these days?

Most in game tool tips are just so very vague they could mean anything and finding actual facts and figures that are up to date is near impossible even from PWE or Cryptic.

Does anybody actually know what this power does and what its values are, i would have thought if Cryptic knew it would be included in the tooltip ? would be nice to have some figures to work from than just "a large amount"

I would absolutely love for this to be confirmed, since I started this dandy little thread about Shield on Tab.

Can anyone else confirm the post-breach DR?
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Shield: 50% then 10%.
    Shield on Spell Mastery: 80% then 47.5%.

Tested using same ledge jumping method.
  • Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »

May I ask what you used to extract the data?
    Using the "I take 1000 dmg w/o shield while using my full HV set, and 200 with shield activated" is a lot different from "I take 1000(1234) dmg w/o shield, and 247(1234) with it." Both implies 80% DR, but first one is incorrect, as the DR is added by addition, which means Armor DR+AC DR+ Shield DR is the total DR. It's also worth mentioning that DR seems to cap at 80%,
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Thanks i will take your word for it,

But the point of my post realy was: is there any facts and figures available from Cryptic or PWE, or does everything have to be worked out and tested by players ? Surely Cryptic them selves must have spell and ability values and figures they work off ? so why is there no list or any info at all for the players, OR do they just ghess at numbers and leave the players to work it all out for them, then if it turns out to be OP they nerf it,

LOL its like picking a weapon up and the tool tip says "does alot of damage" with no figures
  • Options
    edited September 2013

But the point of my post realy was: is there any facts and figures available from Cryptic or PWE, or does everything have to be worked out and tested by players ? Surely Cryptic them selves must have spell and ability values and figures they work off ? so why is there no list or any info at all for the players, OR do they just ghess at numbers and leave the players to work it all out for them, then if it turns out to be OP they nerf it,

Most MMOs do not detail how to play the game. Exploring the powers of your characters is considered Discovery and therefore constitutes part of the game. But, yes, it does give them (particularly Cryptic who seem to like to make stealth changes - not always nerfs - or break stuff) a lot more flexibility.
    May I ask what you used to extract the data?
    Using the "I take 1000 dmg w/o shield while using my full HV set, and 200 with shield activated" is a lot different from "I take 1000(1234) dmg w/o shield, and 247(1234) with it." Both implies 80% DR, but first one is incorrect, as the DR is added by addition, which means Armor DR+AC DR+ Shield DR is the total DR. It's also worth mentioning that DR seems to cap at 80%,

1. Open your Log tab.
    2. Find a ledge.
    3. Jump.
    4. Look for entries showing, "[Combat (Self)] You lose <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (YYY) Physical from falling".
    5. 1 - <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>/YYY = damage reduction.
  • Options
    misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

LOL its like picking a weapon up and the tool tip says "does alot of damage"
    Considering some balancing I've seen, I doubt anyone but the programmers actually have constant access to the exact numbers, I'm voting for the guys handling the combat and balancing basically asks for 5 different builds with nerfs/buffs ranging from 0-20% and goes for what feels right..
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Most MMOs do not detail how to play the game. Exploring the powers of your characters is considered Discovery and therefore constitutes part of the game. But, yes, it does give them (particularly Cryptic who seem to like to make stealth changes - not always nerfs - or break stuff) a lot more flexibility.

Agree BUT a tooltip which says "absorbs a large amount of damage" just means absolutly nothing at all, it could at least say "average 50% damage absorb" , but to just say "large" is a waste of time altogether. plus the tooltip does not say the absorb diminishes from the first hit, it says the shield dimishes, very very missleading, which goes for most tool tips in the game
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm too lazy to log back in and test this, but I recall Tab Shield being able to take two hits before fully diminishing. The first hit is subject to the greatest DR, the second hit to a lesser (but still large) DR, and subsequent hits to a reduced additional DR. Perhaps someone more industrious can confirm and provide the math :P
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    On mastery:
    1st hit 80-90%, I saw both occur. I think the 90% reduction occurs if you take more damage, like a few thousand and the 80% when I took less damage, like a few hundred.
    Second hit was 42.5% every time
    third hits and beyond were 5%

On normal:
    50% 1st hit
    Nothing after this, did not absorb any more damage.

Also of note, I only have 1 point in shield for this test. I don't know if the increased reduction actually works for shield like it says in the tooltip.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    On mastery:
    1st hit 80-90%, I saw both occur. I think the 90% reduction occurs if you take more damage, like a few thousand and the 80% when I took less damage, like a few hundred.
    Second hit was 42.5% every time
    third hits and beyond were 5%

On normal:
    50% 1st hit
    Nothing after this, did not absorb any more damage.

Also of note, I only have 1 point in shield for this test. I don't know if the increased reduction actually works for shield like it says in the tooltip.

How did you do your tests?

Also, it is interesting you got those values with only rank 1 Shield. My tests were with rank 3 Shield. Each additional rank above 1 is supposed to offer an extra 5% "Damage Resist Buff", according to the tooltip in the Power tab.
  • Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    How did you do your tests?

Also, it is interesting you got those values with only rank 1 Shield. My tests were with rank 3 Shield. Each additional rank above 1 is supposed to offer an extra 5% "Damage Resist Buff", according to the tooltip in the Power tab.

alchemy poison pots and jumping from above the praying lady down = 1, went to the right and down to the middle ledge = 2, then down again = 3.