test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Language Barrier and chat suggestion for basic hints

yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I had to drop from a pug yesterday due to the language barrier and the inability to communicate basic information to my teammate who was a DC. I know I am a bit critical of other Dc because my main is a dc so i have certain expectations on power selection, however, i get everyone has different play styles. Well, after using 10 pots before the first boss and trying to tell them some hints the reply is ' no english' soon after, other party members left and i followed.

This got me to thinking that if there was multi-language hints or other basic chat dialogue that had pre-set phrases in it that could be selected, and when sent, would use the game language setting to display it in the players c9nfigured language, that would help address a huge issue with pugs.
For instance, I could choose 'Hello' from the drop down, and it would say hello in the language the user has the system configured to use.

I am not asking for a raw text translator, but rather a set of popular phrases and hints you could choose from, for example:
Please Cast Astral shield in Divine mode.
Astral seal should be applied to adds
Kite the Adds
GWF on adds
Let the Tank pull adds
Great run
Want to run another dungeon
and so on
or any number of the basic hints players share or would need to communicate to get a successful complete.

This is just a basic concept, but i think it could go a long way. The game does this already to an extent, i.e. the boss name shows un the party leaders language or when you cry for help, it says it in the language - or i assume that is it, I do not say pomancy :}

thoughts?
Post edited by yyrkoonstyphoon on

Comments

• danderouslydanderously Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Although it's a pain, Alt-tabbing out to google translate to change messages around might give you more freedom than game-specific messages ever would.
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree, but I think this could serve 2 purposes, as it would have hints that are considered best practice, i.e. are yoiu ever going to go wrong tellin a DC to use astrial shield in divine mode?

new players would read the hints trying to use the chat mechanism, so it serves 2 purposes - communication and education on best practices in play.

Also, the game specific terms may not translate the same as the name of the power in the game. so astral seal may be something totaly different that what was implemented in a different language. it could be space sea animal (seal) rather than seal that closes something.