test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coffer of Wondrous Augmentations...pure RNG or something special about today?

darvinthesixthdarvinthesixth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So today, 9/22/2013 (a Sunday) It was time to collect 6 of these usually disappointing coffers and open them with eyes wide open... All 6 boxes today yielded a Coalescent ward, hot **** that was awesome...but wait...there is more!

I also had 3 other guild members collect their coffers today, All of them, including one guild member who had 2 to open ALL yielded Coalescent wards...Ok...so that's 10/10...

So my question is did we all fall out of the RNG tree and roll a 100 hitting every branch on the way down, or is there something else to it?

Higher chances on Sundays? Higher chance before noon time? I just don't know but this seems out of whack, perhaps an accident on Cryptics part? I don't know...

Has anyone else yielded remarkable results with the coffers today?
Post edited by darvinthesixth on

Comments

• baddumtssbaddumtss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This reminds me of Nightmare Thursday. Let's call this ... Bloody Sunday!?
  • sakiz105sakiz105 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2013
    not with coffers but i noticed the times that drops inferno nightmares

at gtm +2

02 47
    00 31
    04 39
    19 37
    19 47
    19 57
    17 37

during those minutes i have noticed more than 20 infernos per time zone (in around 3 weeks till fey patch)
    it's appears their code is childish,internal roll counting for everyone
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So if I'm not mistaken, GMT 2 at 2:47 would be 9:47 pm (21:47) eastern standard? And it sounds like you don't see that any more with the feywild patch?

I'm not about to run out and get a coffer off of the AH though. What I think you've seen happen here is just your on the "winning" side of the odds is all. Granted, if more people roll in with this same claim, well, you might have something.
    contents to be decided
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to understand from that post. Those sound like late afternoon/evening for U.S. and then late afternoon/evening for Europe, both time periods when you'd expect more people online which implies more boxes being opened which implies higher frequency of mounts being obtained, so I'm not sure I see the problem...?
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Opened 1. 1 Preservation Ward :) Boo!
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The RNGenerators more used tend to have those "spurts" of streaks, they compensate it on the long run, and in the end becomes totally random statistically, but its really hard to generate algorithms that are perfectly random, and not cheap, so the gaming industry use the common ones, and that's a trait of those algorithms, online gambling industy, OTOH, use ultra expensive generators and always invest millions on development to continue improving those, PS for example, dedicates 10m dollars yearly only on RD for RNG.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Gratz on your good luck , personally I have noticed that my luck with the coffer of wondrous augmentation seems to be worse than ever since the feywild patch , I have 4 of my alts synched up so they all get their coffer on the same day and I then send them all to my main character , before the patch I used to get at least 1 or 2 from the 4 I opened 1 after the other but the last 2 times I have opened 4 in a row I only got preservation wards.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've opened probably a hundred of those coffers and gotten 3 coal wards since i began playing in May. i opened 4 today and got 4 pres wards.
  • darvinthesixthdarvinthesixth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I was more curious as to if anyone else had encountered similar results today as it seemed a little too good to be true for 4 different people to go for a total of 10/10 on coals. I'll chalk it up to amazing RNG this time, but i'll certainly unlock the boxes at the same time next sunday (11:43 am EST(GMT -5) just fyi).

Best of luck to all coffer openers!
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Congratulations on being on the other end of the bell curve from the people who usually come on the forums to complain about the odds in this game.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    The RNGenerators more used tend to have those "spurts" of streaks, they compensate it on the long run, and in the end becomes totally random statistically, but its really hard to generate algorithms that are perfectly random, and not cheap, so the gaming industry use the common ones, and that's a trait of those algorithms, online gambling industy, OTOH, use ultra expensive generators and always invest millions on development to continue improving those, PS for example, dedicates 10m dollars yearly only on RD for RNG.

The random number generator in any computer language will be effectively random for the purpose of anything in a game like Neverwinter. That is, the distribution of results will be highly uniform over even a fairly short period of time.

When you have a large enough sample, you will get things that seem like patterns emerge, but aren't (magnified by the fact that the human brain is wired to try and detect patterns). Ever have 5 skill kits break on you trying to open that pesky skill node? The odds against are 0.25 * 0.25 * 0.25 * 0.25 * 0.25 = 0.02%. However if you open 1000 skill nodes in the course of playing, the odds of that happening at least once are 20%. Happened to me.

Online gambling companies (and also security companies) use hardware random number generators that use (typically) entropy caused by heat to create random numbers not to ensure an effectively *even* distribution of values, but to ensure that the *specific sequence* of values is not predictable. Most common pseudo-RNG's (software algorithms) are 100% deterministic if you know what *seed* was used to initialize the algorithm. While most programmers would be savvy enough to be clever about how they initialize the RNG, and probably to frequently re-initialize it, software algorithms can still be broken and thus the sequence they will yield determined. That will not help you at all opening coffers, but it could well help an online poker player.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I was 1/2 yesterday on CoWA's. 2 more to try today though.