test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Demo Record Livestream - Updated with more info!

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey everybody!

Krystle (RunisFallonis) and Mark (Paaaassccheemmm) from the Neverwinter Video Team will be doing a Demo Record livestream this Thursday, August 8, at 3:30PM PDT! (when is that in your time zone?)

Tune in to learn all about the basic and advanced features of Neverwinter's Demo Record tool, from the video technomages themselves: http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community

Here's an example of what can be created using the Demo Record tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXmfIZy8m0

If you have any questions about Demo Recording or making awesome screenshots and videos in general, post them here and we'll do our best to get them answered on the livestream.

Cheers!

UPDATE from RunisFallonis:

Hey everyone! Thanks for tuning in to our livestream about using the demo record tools. Below are a list of the console commands used, key things to remember about rendering, placing cameras and the scenarios for using each camera. Have fun! We can't wait to see some awesome videos :)

If you were unable to tune in, here is

part 1: http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/442815150
part 2: http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/442827553

Note: Unfortunately, demo record is not an officially 'supported' feature of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World. What does this mean? If you are having issues with using this feature, unfortunately we will be unable to help you. It is available for experimentation and open for public use, however we cannot provide and will not answer support tickets about this feature.

Location of demo files and rendered screenshots:
*NOTE* this is contingent upon wherever you originally set up your Neverwinter install.
Default location for demos:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\demos
Default location for screenshots:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\screenshots

Console Commands (accessed by using tilda):

In chat within the game:

/demorecord UniqueDemoName
/demorecord_stop

In Console Option of live client:
-demoplay UniqueDemoName.demo
-demosaveimages NameOfDemo.demo OutputName jpg
(Can also use TIFF and TGA)

Optional Commands:
-windowedsize OptimumSize
-renderscale 1-3
-visscale 1-100
-demoplaybackrange TimeInSeconds (e.g 20 50)

Inside the demo playback:

fov 10-120
showcampos 1/0
showfps 1/0
Using 1 and two alternates between x/y/z axis and the rotate tools

[FULL RENDER SCRIPT = -demosaveimages NameOfDemo.demo OutputName jpg -windowsize 1900 1200 -renderscale 2 -visscale 100 -demoplaybackrange 20 50] Obviously change the numeric values to ones that better suite your machine or demos.

Camera Types:

Easy Path - covered
Automatically drops in both a look at point and camera point based upon where your screen is looking at.

Watch Entity - covered
Look at point that is set up to follow a character. Look at point on the character can be adjusted for a better angle of where you are looking.

Shadow - another stream later on TBA
Follows the person.

Orbit - another stream later on TBA
Drops in an orbiting camera path with a central look at point that can be adjusted (read: raised or lowered depending on viewing angle).

Look Around - another stream later on TBA
Is a pivoting camera point that is in the center of a ring of look at points (opposite of orbit).

Normal Path - covered
Cameras and look at points have to be set up manually by the user.

Key points to remember about rendering:
    -You can set the maximum render in the render script and life will be glorious. -If you are looking to create a 720p movie or smaller, it is recommended to render at a much larger output so that you have room to move the scene around in your video editor of choice. Video settings (e.g. how 'good' everything looks) is based off of the in game video settings that you currently have set up. -Audio is NOT recorded by the render script. 3rd party software (e.g. fraps, audacity, any pro-grade audio software) is recommended to capture the audio of effects. Audio effects are also based off of your current game settings. Meaning if you have everything muted, most likely everything will be muted in demo playback. -At any point you can pause your demosave in progress by hitting spacebar. -You can also hit tilda to bring up your console and do FOV.
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• michaelpoynermichaelpoyner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2013
    I use Razor GameBooster to record my game-play and the Quality is good, and it also helps with game performance. But when the NeverWinter tool comes out I'll be sure to test it out.
  • banaman3banaman3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use Razor GameBooster to record my game-play and the Quality is good, and it also helps with game performance. But when the NeverWinter tool comes out I'll be sure to test it out.

The tool is already part of the game
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I use fraps for recording. This new type of recording is nice, but is it any different. When I record. I generally just tap a hokey to enable and tap it again to stop recording it. However, the main part of the concern is the lack of support. If someone has a general question, they're is no support other then owners manual.

And, DISCLAIMER: demo record/play is a nifty tool that you're welcome to use to create amazing screenshots to share with your co-adventurers. Please note, however, that we cannot provide any support or troubleshooting for the demo record/play tool.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm looking forward to the "replay" link, as the live stream never works for me (prolly 'cause Adobe Crash... er, I mean Flash is required ~cough~)

Please post the "Replay" link ASAP after the lifestream!
  • zeebadee1zeebadee1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Woo for demo tool!
  • runisfallonisrunisfallonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    I use fraps for recording. This new type of recording is nice, but is it any different.

In short, yes it is very different. Main differences include ability to unlock the camera from the player, change FOV, demand a 'higher quality output' from the source, less chance of skipped frames as is frequent in 3rd party screen record software and Hi-res output (not to mention full screen without HUD if you choose to FRAPS what the cameras do). In short, we'll explain more and you'll see more during the live broadcast, but this is a reason why using it is ideal in making videos. Granted, it does have its limitations, but put it this way - it's another awesome tool to use or consider using in getting certain shots for videos that you would like to make (or even screenshots you would like to grab).
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When I open the demo record tool to see stuff I have recorded how the heck to you save/record what your screen is seeing to sue that footage in something like WMM? I use fraps most of the time but would like some free range camera stuff too but I cant figure out this tool for the life of me...
  • paaaassccheemmmpaaaassccheemmm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ayroux wrote: »
    When I open the demo record tool to see stuff I have recorded how the heck to you save/record what your screen is seeing to sue that footage in something like WMM? I use fraps most of the time but would like some free range camera stuff too but I cant figure out this tool for the life of me...

Hey ayroux, we just did a live stream to walk you through the steps on how to use the camera paths and to render your footage.

1st part is here; http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/442815150

2nd half here; http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/442827553

Hope this helps!
  • neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Links I need Links! LOL

First of all, WOW, schweet! Very cool

You had mentioned a few extra links to people working with this in creative ways.

I look forward to working with this tool.

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    twitch tv asks for an access code because the video is private. What is the access code?
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    The channel is not supposed to be private. Sorry about that I'll let them know!

Update: They are tinkering with the settings in preparation for tomorrow's live stream. The Demo Record Livestream will be available again soon! :D
  • sprydragonsprydragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Could you please combine both threads covering DemoRecord, this one and the one in Art and Fiction.

Be nice to have both in the same place....
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Member Posts: 2,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a typo in the render script and instructions
    'windowsize' is not a command, the correct syntax is 'windowedSize'.
    edited August 2013
    Ah yes, thanks for spotting that!

As a check - can everyone see the demo record stream now that the 24 hour live stream has ended?
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still coming up private for me..
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Member Posts: 2,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Double check that live feed folks. Here's incentive...

Demolisher for .demo files is now available.
    Play, Edit or Render your .demo with ease.
    Works for Star Trek Online, Champions Online, and Neverwinter.
    JEiQh7k.png
    Download Demolisher from Sourceforge today
    *Not supported by Cryptic Studios, Inc. or PWE Inc.
    edited August 2013
    Still coming up private for me..

Try this link: http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/442827553

and let me know if it's still private.
  • resintokeresintoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited September 2013
    Hello! I am currently learning the demo record software and am running into a specific error: every time I rewind to the beginning of my recording, the client crashes. Is there any type of video settings I can play with to maybe make this happen less?
    Check out my Twitch stream & video highlights!!
    <Four Twenty> is recruiting! Apply by registering on our website!
    Check out my cleric guides, notes, and discussions!!

5563438nSKoR.png