test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP

oregonizeoregonize Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
PvP should be drastically expanded. Lets face it, the PvE side of this game (lore, immersion, purpose) is relatively dry...as in, there are several other competing games that do it much much better. I think some of the dungeons and boss fights are great but, for the most part, this game is fairly un-engaging and a bit of a queue/gear-grabbing fest (to say the least). The PvP, however, can be really great at times, even though there are only 2 (3) maps. As it stands, I've run all the dungeons and have pretty good gear/enchants to the point where I don't really have a reason to keep grinding. I'm sure more end game PvE content can and will be developed but, there is no way the devs can keep up with the demand for new content and better gear....

This is why PvP needs to be expanded. Competing against others that have run the same dungeons and hit the same wall as you can be extremely fun, challenging and rewarding. It also offers much more in terms of creativity and usability of builds (given the generally uninspired endgame content)...With the dungeons/bosses as they are, there are very few (if any) reasons to innovate playstyle. This game has a great training ground in PvE but PvP is where it really has the potential to shine and differentiate itself from several other games out there right now that do PvE much better. As much as I love and appreciate the attempt at recreating the D&D world in this game, I see little hope for longevity in its PvE/lore alone. Play the story, grind and get your gear and then compete in PvP. Eh?

Expanding PvP is way way easier than expanding PvE and has a much much longer shelf life, period...not to mention that it has a much bigger incentive to spend real money on the game which, lets all admit, is the real reason that Perfect World is in the "F2P" business...

Ask yourself this: Are the dungeons and boss fights dynamic enough to even necessitate new skill paths and strategies? The real incentive to implement new skills and gear lies with PvP...Feel free to disagree. :-)
Post edited by oregonize on

Comments

• alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    Tera has a PVE with fights much better than NW, indeed, to the WoW also has a PVE than in a dugeon level 60 is more evolved than the end game of NW. Tera if it were not so poorly optimized it could be a really popular MMO. Do not believe the devs will strive to try to expand the PVP before PVe because the PVP is much more difficult to balance.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Its seems they wont expand any further the PvP content in the months to come. Someone once quoted that in an interview was said that they would do it when, maybe, Module 2 or 3 comes out. I may be wrong. One of the Moderators might have better info about it.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Its seems they wont expand any further the PvP content in the months to come. Someone once quoted that in an interview was said that they would do it when, maybe, Module 2 or 3 comes out. I may be wrong. One of the Moderators might have better info about it.

I honestly wouldn't even count on that. Seriously, do yourself a favor and look at the state of PVP over in CO and STO. I suggest you bring a tissue, because its pretty dang sad. So while I can honestly say, I generally love Cryptic games, PVP has NEVER been one of their strong points.

They have never focused on it, have never really supported it, they typical offer the absolute bare minimum and call it a day. Cryptic games have always catered to the casual and the new MMO player. PVPers and the hardcore crowd have never really, and most likely never will, be supported as much as they wish.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    @sockmunkey, yes im totally aware of the PvP state of CO and STO, thats why i quit both a year ago, but due to lack of incentive in NW, im slowly going back to then and i share the same feelings u have about Cryptic games. Just personal preference. :o
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    @sockmunkey, yes im totally aware of the PvP state of CO and STO, thats why i quit both a year ago, but due to lack of incentive in NW, im slowly going back to then and i share the same feelings u have about Cryptic games. Just personal preference. :o

Totally, I don't fault Cryptic or blame them for their lack of PVP. Anymore then id fault Ferrari for not making a family friendly mini van. Its just not their thing. They obviously have their target set on making the game as casual friendly as possible with very little focus on PVP. This is only a problem if you come here expecting PVP to be a main focus.

Im of the mindset that im here to enjoy the parts that I like, ignore the parts that I dont. And if I have a need the game cant provide I can play more then one game to fill that. Expecting one game to be everything to everyone is just unreasonable.
  • oregonizeoregonize Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Someone needs to let the investors know that the incentive to spend real world money on their uninspired endgame PvE pales in comparison to what people would be willing to spend to be able to "dominate" in PvP (cuz nobody is buying perfect Vorpals in order to face roll PvE that much faster...). And while they are at it, point out that PvP is WAYYYY less labor intensive (expensive) to develop and maintain than PvE.

If the PvE in this game was top notch, I wouldn't be bringing this up. But making balancing mistakes in PvE (skills,classes, boss mechanics etc) is far more noticeable and unforgiving than it is in PvP. Would you rather your players complain about getting owned by something you (the devs) created or complain about getting owned by another player??? Furthermore, for every player getting owned in PvP, there is another player owning said player and enjoying the game...I'm pretty sure the endgame bosses don't enjoy face rolling a team of players...and they certainly don't spend money on the game...

It seems like business 101 at this point. While I understand that PW hasn't traditionally focused on PvP, it is, without a doubt, in their best interest at this point from a money making "F2P" standpoint....
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Totally, I don't fault Cryptic or blame them for their lack of PVP. Anymore then id fault Ferrari for not making a family friendly mini van. Its just not their thing. They obviously have their target set on making the game as casual friendly as possible with very little focus on PVP. This is only a problem if you come here expecting PVP to be a main focus.

Im of the mindset that im here to enjoy the parts that I like, ignore the parts that I dont. And if I have a need the game cant provide I can play more then one game to fill that. Expecting one game to be everything to everyone is just unreasonable.

I do fault them. How hard would it be to make 2-3 more maps? Or let people create their own in the Foundry? Easy stuff.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do fault them. How hard would it be to make 2-3 more maps? Or let people create their own in the Foundry? Easy stuff.

Eh ... look on the bright side: at least we have a lot of Mounts to choose from.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Eh ... look on the bright side: at least we have a lot of Mounts to choose from.
    really? are you going to keep posting the same trolling reply in all topics?
    About pvp, yeah I wish they would add a few more maps, I don't think it's really hard. I hope they will do it tough.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    really? are you going to keep posting the same trolling reply in all topics?
    About pvp, yeah I wish they would add a few more maps, I don't think it's really hard. I hope they will do it tough.

Who's trolling?! We do have a lot of mounts to choose from, do we not? Apparently, the developers think this is the best medicine for what ails the game so we may as well drink it!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    oregonize wrote: »
    Someone needs to let the investors know that the incentive to spend real world money on their uninspired endgame PvE pales in comparison to what people would be willing to spend to be able to "dominate" in PvP (cuz nobody is buying perfect Vorpals in order to face roll PvE that much faster...). And while they are at it, point out that PvP is WAYYYY less labor intensive (expensive) to develop and maintain than PvE.

If the PvE in this game was top notch, I wouldn't be bringing this up. But making balancing mistakes in PvE (skills,classes, boss mechanics etc) is far more noticeable and unforgiving than it is in PvP. Would you rather your players complain about getting owned by something you (the devs) created or complain about getting owned by another player??? Furthermore, for every player getting owned in PvP, there is another player owning said player and enjoying the game...I'm pretty sure the endgame bosses don't enjoy face rolling a team of players...and they certainly don't spend money on the game...

It seems like business 101 at this point. While I understand that PW hasn't traditionally focused on PvP, it is, without a doubt, in their best interest at this point from a money making "F2P" standpoint....

i don't know that pwe stockholders are all too worried about pvp in neverwinter considering it is a very small part of just one of the games that turn a profit for the company. also, pwe/cryptic doesn't sell pvp gear directly via the zen shop. the in-game pvp enhancements are collected, fused and sold by players. if players are buying zen to convert to astral diamonds to buy pvp items from the auction house, then this is just part of the in-game experience and all stockholders would be interested in is how much zen is purchased in total. also, considering when you buy zen, you have to transfer it from your perfect world wallet to whatever game you play, i'm not even sure that investors are pressing to know exactly how much is being spent in neverwinter (you can do a google search for an investor's report and see exactly what information is relayed to investors if you're curious.) you, as a neverwinter player, have entirely different interests than someone who invests money into this company. you want it to succeed for different reasons... or you want it to fail. either way, perfect world has fifteen game offerings right now. as far as getting stockholders riled up about pvp in neverwinter, i just don't see it causing that much of a ruckus.

secondly, cryptic is now a subsidiary of pwe and to my knowledge has always been a privately owned company.

and lastly, cryptic stated somewhere (if i remember correctly) that they weren't opposed to implementing more pvp maps/options... but it's just not their main focus. just like there is no plans to implement raids at the present time.

i'd also like to point out that i totally disagree with your statement that the pve is uninspired. might not be your cup of tea and that's okay. obviously you are pushing for the pvp angle here but unfortunately the focus just isn't there.
  • neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2013

Yes. But, apparently, Rosie O'Donnell will never be one of them.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Who's trolling?! We do have a lot of mounts to choose from, do we not? Apparently, the developers think this is the best medicine for what ails the game so we may as well drink it!

this has been stated at least ten times in these forums if not more.

the developers do not work on zen shop items. a separate department handles that. the two are not interrelated. not to mention that two "game breaking" bugs were fixed in this last patch. all the doom and gloomers should get together and start their own company so they can bring us this totally awesome and perfect MMORPG that is launched perfectly with no problems, that patches bugs exactly when the players want them patched (except there won't be any bugs because the game launched perfectly with no problems), and that whatever business model they choose is accepted by everyone. they will also kiss their player base's a**, too. it's okay. i'll wait.
  • siamk0siamk0 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't even count on that. Seriously, do yourself a favor and look at the state of PVP over in CO and STO. I suggest you bring a tissue, because its pretty dang sad. So while I can honestly say, I generally love Cryptic games, PVP has NEVER been one of their strong points.

They have never focused on it, have never really supported it, they typical offer the absolute bare minimum and call it a day. Cryptic games have always catered to the casual and the new MMO player. PVPers and the hardcore crowd have never really, and most likely never will, be supported as much as they wish.

City of Heroes, and City of Villains had a lot of focus on PvP. But it did not happen in the beginning to took 2 years I think. Can't remember it has been so long ago. There were open PvP zones, an arena with options on match size and location, Also instances guild bases that were customizeable where you could upgrade defenses for PvP raids on other guild bases. Cryptic has the chops to make PvP very diverse and interesting.

I am hoping that they do