test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advanced Deity system

varetmarkushvaretmarkush Member Posts: 68 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Am i the only one here thinking that it would be a nice idea to have more gods available for the player to worship?
Why not add some evil gods too? And even some f the dead ones? (...Cyric...)

And why the hell not make it actually matter in the game as to which deity you worship.. lets say some special feature unique for each god (example: Mask could give some feat that enchants sneak or Cyric could give some madness related feat.. lets say a chance to inflict comfusion or fear on the opponent when receive a hit..)

And why not a couple of quests? (for example for Cyric - yes yes HIM again hehehe- the player could do some doomguide (of kelemvor) slaying quests)
Post edited by varetmarkush on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think that just like classes, the gods you follow should give some special quests along your levelling and maybe a daily at lv 60. It doesn't have to be a big quest with epic loot, but at least it would make the god you select and the beginning matter a bit more.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I feel that, while I support this as a roleplayer and pen-and-paper type, there are too many players who would be against it based on their inability to separate fiction from reality.

Some would oppose worshiping different gods on a theological level. Others would be against having the mechanic further hardcode and streamline their roleplay options. And still more would feel that, being against gods in general, they would be forced to miss out on a mechanic due to ideology.

In the end, I think it's a smarter marketing move to leave out, but maybe not a better move for the game as a whole.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    I feel that, while I support this as a roleplayer and pen-and-paper type, there are too many players who would be against it based on their inability to separate fiction from reality.

Some would oppose worshiping different gods on a theological level. Others would be against having the mechanic further hardcode and streamline their roleplay options. And still more would feel that, being against gods in general, they would be forced to miss out on a mechanic due to ideology.

In the end, I think it's a smarter marketing move to leave out, but maybe not a better move for the game as a whole.

Those who are faithless, when they die, their soul gets absorbed into the wall of faithless and they suffer for eternity... or something like that. Anyway, no thanks! Bring on the deity functionality! I figured it would do something slightly different when you invoke, but was disappointed to find out that it didn't really matter which one you picked.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    slayorian wrote: »
    Those who are faithless, when they die, their soul gets absorbed into the wall of faithless and they suffer for eternity... or something like that. Anyway, no thanks! Bring on the deity functionality! I figured it would do something slightly different when you invoke, but was disappointed to find out that it didn't really matter which one you picked.

They still haven't given my half-Orc the ability to worship the only god he's ever known ... Gruumsh.

Till then, those puny gods can just keep on being amused for all I care.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Agree totally with first two posts. It would be great to have more deities and a unique quest line similar to how races / classes get their own quest lines.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Outstanding thought. Would love to see an advanced deity/religion system that has actual gameplay functionality. Unfortunately, this is once again a D&D fundamental. And for some reason wont be implemented. Would be a great step in the right direction though.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Some very different issues being raised here.
    There should be an option to not worship any diety, which works with the lore.

But speaking as an Honest-to-God member of the clergy, it's a game set in a fantasy world where other rules apply. If someone wants to run those quests, great. There could also be a questline for the faithless and false, since Kelemvor isn't such a happy, friendly guy anymore.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• varetmarkushvaretmarkush Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2013

My friend.. those ppl who due to insecurity sunken in a fake blind faith would oppose the idea of a character in a game worshiping another god.. well those are plain stupid and shoud not be taken seriously - and i believe (or at least hope) that there are not many ppl THAT stupid.. i mean com' on! if my character worships cyric should that mean that i worship a god that i read about in a book?! (oh that irony..)
    But nevertheless, this is a great game.. but there are (simple) ways to become even greater. I sure hope to see my favourite Cyric as an option one day..
    (in neverwinter nights 2 i was a drow hellfire warlock worshiping cyric...and i was a complete arsehole :p )
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Different deities atm are pointless since they all give the same buffs. It would be indeed much cooler if even the current deities would give you different boosts so the lore behind them (deity of the warriors, deity of the mages whatever) has some value. The buffs the different deities give you should be different.

And yes, specific questlines would also be nice, even items you could earn during doing them but unfortunately this game has a very weak questline anyway and mainly focus on the dungeon content. So you most likely won't see that happen.
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rabbinicus wrote: »
    Some very different issues being raised here.
    There should be an option to not worship any diety, which works with the lore.

But speaking as an Honest-to-God member of the clergy, it's a game set in a fantasy world where other rules apply. If someone wants to run those quests, great. There could also be a questline for the faithless and false, since Kelemvor isn't such a happy, friendly guy anymore.

Yep, but they definitely should not get benefits from Invocation and Altars! :-D

Perhaps a "The Gods are amused at your hypocrisy" comment when they try.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
    edited September 2013
    The newest expansion gave the PERFECT thing a Specific God could provide, Boons!

These could be tailored to you, based on your God of choice.

The Boon could be something as simple as a distinct set of Clothes, Armor, Shield, etc based on your God, that your equipment automatically transmutes too if you choose.

A Malarite for instance, could have anything he puts on his head, look like a Animal head, on his hands look like claws, and his cloak a animal hide.

All the Sunite stuff for a Sunite.

A Tempest follower could have their armor and shield appear blood spattered.

etc...
    Psyb3rTr011
  • dustwiperdustwiper Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    Different deities atm are pointless since they all give the same buffs. It would be indeed much cooler if even the current deities would give you different boosts so the lore behind them (deity of the warriors, deity of the mages whatever) has some value. The buffs the different deities give you should be different.

And yes, specific questlines would also be nice, even items you could earn during doing them but unfortunately this game has a very weak questline anyway and mainly focus on the dungeon content. So you most likely won't see that happen.

That's is a great idea. You can even have items made for each god's worshippers. Also like the feats idea.
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yep, but they definitely should not get benefits from Invocation and Altars! :-D

Perhaps a "The Gods are amused at your hypocrisy" comment when they try.

An excellent idea and something for both the role-players and min-maxers.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• lhachmacarlhachmacar Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've always thought the minibuff you get after invoking (Righteous, etc) should be based on the deity you worship.

Though that might lead to the min-max crowd decrying anyone who didn't make the "correct" choice for their class.
    edited September 2013
    lhachmacar wrote: »
    I've always thought the minibuff you get after invoking (Righteous, etc) should be based on the deity you worship.

Though that might lead to the min-max crowd decrying anyone who didn't make the "correct" choice for their class.

Agreed on both accounts. As for the Min-Max crowd. I tend to ignore them.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • ngeluzngeluz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree, but bringing evil gods would bring evil heroes, this would add a lot to the RPG and lore to the game, not to mention greet animosity between factions... New quest new mission like DC Universe one side quest bringing trouble the other side comes to solve it.

Umm, I think this impacts the game more than we think... But its a start! :rolleyes: