test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Suggestion] Add a swappable action bar/API calls

logludloglud Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
After playing a level 60 GF for a while i have noticed how often I am required to switch powers based on the type of pull. I would suggest creating a second action bar that can be swapped with the first one when all encounters are not on cooldown. This would allow for people two have a normal and boss action bar that they can quickly tab between instead of searching their powers list.

Secondly, I do a lot programming in the down time (such as now with the shard maintenance . I was wondering if any one had heard anything about API or Plugin interfaces that may be allowed to help with things like the creation of an agro meter, or other API's.
Post edited by loglud on

Comments

• Options
    nuffinghonnuffinghon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    loglud wrote: »
    After playing a level 60 GF for a while i have noticed how often I am required to switch powers based on the type of pull. I would suggest creating a second action bar that can be swapped with the first one when all encounters are not on cooldown. This would allow for people two have a normal and boss action bar that they can quickly tab between instead of searching their powers list.

Secondly, I do a lot programming in the down time (such as now with the shard maintenance . I was wondering if any one had heard anything about API or Plugin interfaces that may be allowed to help with things like the creation of an agro meter, or other API's.

Great idea but I believe that it would raise up some new ways to exploit it. It would need some sort of a cooldown so that you can't do it in PVP. For example the 10 seconds cooldown when you exchange a skill could be applied to the bar swap. So instead for 10 seconds for each skill you'd get only 10 seconds. Maybe it would even have to be disabled in PVP.

I have not yet reached the end game content but I am surely looking forward to it. Let's see if the skill swapping is all that required or if it's just required to be "optimal".

Very interesting. I'll enjoy reading the opinion of everyone else on this matter.
  • Options
    sesorthossesorthos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought about this myself - it could be some sort of "build-manager" so you can create solo builds and team builds - or (in case of a Cleric) damage and healing builds. Since you cannot switch skills in combat anyway, it should not be too easy to exploit.
  • Options
    kuettbull3nkuettbull3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is a good idea.
    But I think it will make the game to easy in some aspects concidering you can switch skills in combat as long as the skills you want to replace isnt on cooldown.
  • Options
    gabyirkgabyirk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    loglud wrote: »

+1 for this, I'm not even close to the end game content but I can already feel the pain when I'm soloing using X and Y skills and then joining a dungeon where I could think of a different skill set during the run or even swap them before a boss fight with "better" skills.
  • Options
    nevarineswagyolonevarineswagyolo Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    /sign
    I do agree with this 1 and if they ever put extra bars it will cost Zen for sure.
    Neravarine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I agree with us having 10 or so bar options. Even let us keyboard shortcut switching. Include the whole bar, too, from the potions to the dailies to the tab. I would love to switch from a pvp focus, dungeon adds focus, dungeon boss focus, solo focus, etc.

That said, and for the sake of nipping any exploits, give the bar swap a 10s cooldown on all abilities changed. This is still faster than most can go in and change things, plus leave any longer cooldowns on individual encounters (to stop players from swapping to negate a 30s cooldown timer, if there are any).
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    uhm i don't have prob whit the ecounter :s only have to switch 1 power usually ^^
  • Options
    wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am suprised its not in the game yet. This is basic feature of every serious MMO.
    (plus, nothing hurts more then death on last boss simple because you are forced to cover all your screed with powers tab when switching skills)
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is a great idea. The should be no problem with exploiting this as you normally can't switch powers in combat and powers go into cool down after you switch them and the bar would have the same restrictions. It would come in very handy in many situations. You could set a bar for PvP and one for PvE . You wouldn't have to fiddle around with powers every time you enter a dungeon. I just hope they pay attention and use this idea.
    /sign
    I do agree with this 1 and if they ever put extra bars it will cost Zen for sure.
    Why do you think it would cost zen?
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I can see this for setting one up for PvP and one for PvE that you switch on the fly, but the number of set-ups some of you want to be able to hot swap may not be allowed because that would stray to far from the IP. Remember they are already bending the rules with some of the powers as it is, especially with the Daily powers. The game must adhere to the PnP rules to some extent before WotC uses it's veto power. Plus with D&D Next drifting away some from the MMO friendly rules of 4th Ed, WotC is probably taking a slightly harder stance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I can see this for setting one up for PvP and one for PvE that you switch on the fly, but the number of set-ups some of you want to be able to hot swap may not be allowed because that would stray to far from the IP. Remember they are already bending the rules with some of the powers as it is, especially with the Daily powers. The game must adhere to the PnP rules to some extent before WotC uses it's veto power. Plus with D&D Next drifting away some from the MMO friendly rules of 4th Ed, WotC is probably taking a slightly harder stance.

The issue is that this would only remove unnecessary clicks. You would still be able to swap these skills out manually between combat, as many of us already do.

The number of points we have to invest in skills are not asking to be changed. But I have many different roles and jobs that I picked up skills like 'Not so Fast' and 'Mighty Leap' for that don't necessarily get used in regular PvP/PvE content.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    We need this basic feature.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This would not change the actual game-play in any way. It would just make swapping powers a bit more convenient as you already can do that anyway. As an example, when I am in solo PvE with my CW, I use a more aggressive set of powers and every time I enter a Dungeon I need to swap my powers with ones that focus on crowd control. I can already change them, but if they implemented a feature like this, I could change them with just one click. I wouldn't have to open the powers window and fiddle around with the powers every time I need a different set of powers on my bar.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like a great idea that would work with the idea made by cribstaxxx in the thread below.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?487871-Suggestion-Dual-Feat-Spec
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)