test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Compromise Between Open World Gameplay and Instanced Gameplay...

arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
The Neverwinter game world feels so small and cramped. Although there is a wide variety of zones to adventure in, their linear design and the instantaneous travel between them result in a feeling of closeness, of how they are all within easy reach.

What if there were intermediate zones that connected all of the existing zones to each other, in a way that gives the feeling of an open world but are really separate linked maps strung together. For example, there might be a buffer zone between the Blacklake District and Protector's Enclave that one had to cross to get to either zone. One would have to take one of the area transitions in Protector's Enclave, which sends the player or party to one side of the transition zone, and they then have to make it to the other side and take the area transition there to get to the Blacklake District.

This is how it worked in Neverwinter Nights 1. You started at the city core, and then move through a chaotic No Man's Land zone which ends with the heavily guarded entrance into Blacklake, and finally the Blacklake District, where all the nobles live.

Or perhaps something similar to Baldur's Gate 1, where you couldn't instantly travel to distant zones. You would have to cross the map to unlock possible transition zones to each cardinal direction, and so on until you reached your destination. However, once a zone is unlocked, you can travel instantaneously between them through the world map, just like how it currently works in Neverwinter.

Or maybe, there could be permanent teleportation circles like in DnD 4e which allow people to teleport from circle to circle for a fee (to pay for the ritual components expended). It would be a good money sink for people who want to get somewhere NOW.

So, folks, what do you think?
Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
Post edited by arontimes on

Comments

• Options
    adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Imo the best would be something like BG1 as you suggested together with more exit points on the existing maps. The world would will feel alot more open and it should also not be such a big coding issue (apart from the point that you have to create these maps, however a foundry update together with a map contest could speed things up). It does also not necessarily have to be a square grid, it can be some 'chaotic' net if you like.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I like the idea, something like Ragnarok Online,although most cryptic games work like neverwinter, with just a few maps. I would really like if they would add transitional maps in between the existing ones. But I don't think it will happen, it's a big change in the game and I think it's too late for that...
    I hope I'm wrong though XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yea, I feel this is missing as well. Its not as if Cryptic's engine couldn't handle it. Just look at how large the map in CO's Millenium City is. A map that size set as a wilderness area of the sword coast as a transition area between the city and the other zones would be simply epic.
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2013
    I agree. There's a certain break in the immersion when 'teleporting' from one area to the next. The idea of the no-man's land might even encourage folks to form travelling groups if the peril between zones would warrant it.
  • Options
    texasgunmantexasgunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Or maybe players like me would view it as an unecessary pestering to get to our quest zone. I enjoyed Neverwinter's style of travel between zones and linear questing after running all over in World of Warcraft for so many years where the zones are huge and running across it on foot takes too much time for my tastes. I would rather a system like NW than WoW, to be honest. It is refreshing to level so fast, fast-travel between PE and my quest zones, and I like the ability to play the game solo during leveling and group with others if I choose to.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
    Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
    Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I like exploring so having only the important quest zones is a bit of a let down. I know some people hate to travel but they could easily add some teleport system.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Agreed. There should be something between "the safe PE zone with the bank" and "click on the gate to reach a zone with monsters at every corner". I enjoyed a lot most of the Eder's scrolls RPGs. I think the game would be a bit more attractive if it were more sandbox with larger maps, and more freedom. It includes travelling.

Something i like doing when i don't want to pvp and do dungeons, or farm more dailies, or do what cryptic wants me to do, is going to helm's hold with a lvl 60 character, enjoy the scenery (because the map is awesome, probably the best by far in the game), and grab some profession nodes. Mobs don't attack me, that's relaxing. I'm free to do whatever i want to do in the area.
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    open world is my choice hands down. Instances like this just suck. When i first heard about this game i was sweet cant wait to run around neverwinter explore the areas. Then this was not the case.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    open world is my choice hands down. Instances like this just suck. When i first heard about this game i was sweet cant wait to run around neverwinter explore the areas. Then this was not the case.
    The way cryptic's engine works it's not possible to make a truly open world, it works with instances, but there are ways to make it look more like it was open world.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    The way cryptic's engine works it's not possible to make a truly open world, it works with instances, but there are ways to make it look more like it was open world.

Thats why when i play this game it seems like its a consol game. It doesnt feel like a true mmo.
  • Options
    lordcessnalordcessna Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They could have some open areas with wandering mobs, maybe housing etc. Although to be honest, after playing sandbox games, (darkfall) I do NOT have any desire to have to suffer manual travelling, mudane tasks that resemble real life. Who has time for that? I remember riding around for hours with my buddies looking for fights in darkfall.

I like the foundation we have here at NW, you can log on for an hour and actually accomplish something. Sandbox games you will spend an hour just trying to get to your destination...no thanks
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I love exploring - I've put hundreds of hours into Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3, just wandering around. I spent plenty of time in WoW trying to find ways up onto the mountains between zones. Minecraft ftw. Etc.

That said...
    drbaals wrote: »
    Thats why when i play this game it seems like its a consol game. It doesnt feel like a true mmo.

...I've played a number of MMOs with a similar style. And several others that were even more instanced (like Vindictus). That's why I figured this thread would be about how NWO currently is when I saw the title "A Compromise Between Open World Gameplay and Instanced Gameplay...", because that's how I see the game right now - sizable adventure zones that you run all over while getting to the instanced areas.

(I also find it kind of humorous that the game all the "true" D&D players drool over, D&D Online, is more instanced than this one - yes, there are wilderness areas to explore, but those are private group instances, too. Only place you run into piles of random other players is in town.)
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    While an open world area with housing or whatever you want to put in it would be interesting, the fact that you don't have to traverse the "whole world" to get to your destination (ie 20 minutes of holding w on your horse) is a huge plus IMO. Open world MMO's, even ones with paid travel like WoW where you can go afk, it absorbs 20+ minutes sometimes just to get to your destination.

The instant Q's and ability to grab dailies from anywhere and the automatic porting of your group to the instance are big bonuses, for me at least, and I'm very happy that I don't have to walk/ride everywhere and waste hours of my game time just travelling.

by instant Q's I mean you can Q yourself instantly from anywhere, not that they pop instantly ;)
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.