test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter

sadorsador Member Posts: 59 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I want to like this class, I really do, but it doesn't really play that well. Granted I'm only level 11, but I'm getting pretty destroyed by pretty much everything I fight. In PVE, the moment I let Guard down to attack anything, I get blown the hell up.

PVP is ridiculous, I did one round and and ended up dead last at 60% of the damage of the next lowest guy, had one kill and spent more time in the respawn area than anyone else. Do GF get that scary later on that everyone just focuses us down?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You don't need to let guard down to attack. You can poke the opponent with your sword over the shield. GF leveling is probably the slowest and most boring of all the classes(but you really shouldn't be dying) and GF as a class doesn't shine until you get your more useful knockdown powers.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    sadorsador Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Should my guard be failing after 5 or 6 hits? I have to let it down to rebuild the meter I thought?
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sador wrote: »
    Should my guard be failing after 5 or 6 hits? I have to let it down to rebuild the meter I thought?
    If your guard is low then circle the opponent. Ideally you should only use guard to block the higher damage attacks you can't move away from. Guard is a bit of an emergency measure.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I believe guardian fighters are broken(almost) op

your PvE problems will be solved as soon as u get your cleric pet (lvl 16 i think) it was a bit hard til that but u can just block and poke. use right mouse button to charge shield, that pet is so awesome that it owns many pug clerics, and if ur any good u can get top dmg done, top dmg taken, top heals, aaand top enemies killed in dungeons

as for PvP, i lvled my GF only by doing pvp + daily quests, he is not a pushover at any lvl(im now lvl 56 with Head Hunter title (most kills in 50 games) and 12xx kills), but your kill potential will be low til u get knights challenge, til that use Lunge(never ever go to pvp without it) griffons wrath(lvl 2) and put a point in knee breaker, after u get knights challenge use it in place of knee breaker, when u get Frontline Surge use it in place of griffons wrath, at lvl 50 u should replace knights challenge with Bull Charge, at least if ur going Conqueror. ofc there is an FFN HUGE power spike at lvl 50~51 when u get the good daily, bull charge and reckless attacker(Conqueror) atm pvp feels like pve, just run around and kill stuff, but i dont see any of the good pvpers i met during lvling anymore, so maybe they are waiting for me at 60

also its important to have good reaction in pvp and know what your enemies will do and when to block, learn how the skill casts look like, for example TR jumping in the air for a slow strike that dazes u for like ever, or CW animations, without Reckless Attacker it doesnt matter as much, but still ur moving really slow while blocking.

here is a great guide that helped me a lot
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?437251-Guardian-Fighter-Scrotobagins-Regen-Tank-amp-DPS-Builds

• Options
    chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    sador wrote: »
    I want to like this class, I really do, but it doesn't really play that well. Granted I'm only level 11, but I'm getting pretty destroyed by pretty much everything I fight. In PVE, the moment I let Guard down to attack anything, I get blown the hell up.

PVP is ridiculous, I did one round and and ended up dead last at 60% of the damage of the next lowest guy, had one kill and spent more time in the respawn area than anyone else. Do GF get that scary later on that everyone just focuses us down?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Get your GF to 60. With decent gear, you would be amaze at how versatile GF is. But I do agree with the rest, it is the most boring of all the classes..
  • Options
    astronauchastronauch Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't really agree with you, as a new player myself. I got mine to lvl 10 yesterday and went straight to PvP, I ended up in #1. Not only I tried to get the recap points and defend bonus (and that's what really counts, capping and defending), but also scored 37 assists. As the lvl suggests there's not much to go on about, just Lung Strike + Griffon's Wrath on CW when I see them, they have to run, and you have to block the following CC they try on you. Lung Strike has a neat cd so it's rinse and repeat. I scored really low on kills but that's not the job, just make sure the **** mages (or clerics) don't pull too many tricks, and when that is done, you go on the rogue and finish off the GWF with the daily or a debuff to help out (can't remember seeing another GF though, but I would probably ignore him until the squishy bits are off the table).

In PvE I really felt a bit of challenge, specially because either I was lagging or Cleave after blocking only gets going properly with a double click and hold on the mouse. But again, Lung Strike+Block (yeah, they noticed you), Cleave, Block, Cleave+Lung on higher lvl (should be the one remaining) + Griffon got the job done so far (occasional Tide of Iron in the mix when getting 1V1).

Anyway I look forward to play this class.
  • Options
    captkickasscaptkickass Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    as said above, a cleric companion helps a lot. it also gives you a little practice in gathering aggro to keep your party members alive.

use block sparingly for the bigger attacks you can't avoid, don't burn it up during enemy's normal swings. think of it like weaving block in as needed, rather than block being the default position.
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2013
    I've been playing GFs since I started the game about six weeks ago. I'm no expert, but I've learned a few things through trial and error. I can't speak to PVP at all, but here are some thoughts on PVE:

1. Make sure you carry plenty of pots. I know, common sense right? But you'd be surprised how often I see folks in Blacklake or the Tower chugging back towards the campsite desperately trying to outrun mobs because they're low on health and have no pots. You're a GF. You're going to take damage, some times a lot of it if a mob surrounds you. Keep your pots stacked and be ready to hit the 3, 4, or 5 key at a moments notice.

2. Use your encounter powers to your advantage. At low level, your choices are limited so you have to optimize them. Typically, I'll start an encounter with a mob by using lunging strike right off the bat, preferrably on a weak mob member like a Nasher sniper or recruit. That either kills them outright or it just takes one quick swing to finish them off and that's one less opponent to think about before they've even had a chance to hit me. If there is no boss in the mob like a hexer or enforcer, I immediately Griffon's Wraith the next low level mob. Like lunging strike it can pretty much take low level mobs out fast.

If there is a boss, I go for Villian's Menace if available to get the AOE damage to the group and, more importantly, the immunity to knockback. I'll then use Griffon's Wraith on the boss, but (importantly), I try to time it to strike just beofre they are letting go of their big hit. The stun effect delays their next big strike. In the interim your lunging strike is ready to go off again. Use it. If everything is on cool down, hit that shift key and put your shield up until you can dish out another big attack. As tang56 mentioned, you can keep using aggravating strike with your shield up to keep the damage coming. Now, this is just what works for me at low levels, so ymmv. But it's an example of how to thin a mob right off the bat and reduce the punishment. Speaking of which.....

3. Work your way from smallest to biggest if you can when in the midst of a mob. Focusing on the leader just gives more time for the two or three underlings to wail on you. If you are surrounded, the subordinate mobs flanking or behind you are going to dish out as much, if not more, damage as the lead mob. Take the easy targets out first. You'll take a hit or two from the boss, but nothing you can't withstand if you have your pots.

I hope this helps. I really like the GF class (again, speaking in PVE). It might feel clunky. But once you have your rotation down, you can do a world of hurt.
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    chipster wrote: »
    Get your GF to 60. With decent gear, you would be amaze at how versatile GF is. But I do agree with the rest, it is the most boring of all the classes..

I don't find it boring at all. I think every class has the potential to be "boring" if you aren't doing some little playstyle tweaks once in a while. I have been playing the same GF since open beta and have done 3 repecs and am constantly trying new things. This takes the boredom out of the game, for me at least. There are many ways to play each class......
  • Options
    jaxlee79jaxlee79 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    some quick advice that may help out, I dont do PVP so this is things I picked up in PVE.

1) we are very late bloomers, at level 16 you get a free companion, the Cleric is nice especially at lower levels, but once you get up there in levels and experience with your class and can start absorbing damage I suggest getting a dps one, I used the wizard because he does "try" to stay at range, still used the Cleric in dungeons and harder mobs (elites etc.)

2) when you have a companion flanking is your friend, after you lunge in to a group of mobs cleave once (any AOE will do so they stay with you and not on your companion) and then try then running through them so they spin around, most of the time your little friend will be behind the mobs, and therefor you will get a flanking bonus, and extra dmg is always good.

3) Think of your shield as your means to avoid the red circles of doom! others classes have to run away, we just raise our shield and take it like a champ :) it is also good to block knock backs and other controlling powers (might work in pvp with CW holds and CC's)

4) We are slower leveling than the other classes i find this due to the lower damage we do at lower levels, and the fact that our class is the slowest moving in the game.

Keep at it if you enjoy tanks, we get better later on in the game, but to play well takes practice, and lots of research, and there are a ton of guides on here and youtube that will help explain all of our feats, and powers, feel free to experiment, but beware respecing in this game is costly, and the costs go up every level you gain (for feats) powers take zen to respec, so i HIGHLY recommend spending time and getting intimate with our powers and what you need to have end game so you don't miss something and need to buy zen (though you can buy it with A.D through the exchange)

Good luck!
  • Options
    mctankypantsmctankypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've leveled all other classes to 60 and can honestly say I'm having a blast leveling my GF. I'm in the low 30's right now and have found that using the Cleric companion with high regeneration has been key in making ALL encounters laughable. Even on boss fights I rarely ever have to use a potion. I'm sitting at 900 regeneration that cost almost nothing in AD to buy.
    I just looked for the highest regeneration on each piece without losing too much armor. I can be as reckless as I want even in group settings without worrying about dying.
    Also take advantage of doing Foundries for extra xp while you're out adventuring. Pvp at low levels isn't very rewarding as there are tons of bots and if you lose you get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for xp.

Try regen :)