test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What did you do?

runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Performance and Stability
Made adjustments to increase CPU performance in areas of high population, player or otherwise.

I have crashed 3 times in about 20 minutes since this patch. And its not even a crash to desktop. Its forcing my PC to restart. Never had that happen before. So, uhm... what did you guys change?
Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
Post edited by runebane on

Comments

• Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh, they probably messed around with the referencing of MMX/SSE/3DNow! sets.

What type of processor are you using?
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    An older i7 quad core. Its not great, I know, but it was working fine before today's patch.

Played some more and the last time it crashed, it only went to desktop. I got to see the error message and it said my video drivers quit responding. Ugh, just updated those a couple weeks ago. Anyway, will be looking into that.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    For the past few days, I've been unusually laggy it don't happen all the time just randomly when I run or fighting. I think this is lag spikes? But I don't rubberband which is weird.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    nylatlthesecondnylatlthesecond Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My laptop crashed like a week ago which completely broke it, although I don't think it was the same thing. Did you notice anything special about the game before it crashed? Graphical glitches or something?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Didn't notice anything other than it being really crowded. But I wasn't lagging. It was right after the patch and the festival area was full. I checked the instances and there were only about 6 of them (iirc). But they were all at max players, or nearly so.

3 of the crashes were in the festival area. I was riding my howler between the entrance and the festival merchant. A fourth was in PE, also riding my howler. Between Lord Neverember and the exit. Again, I didn't notice any graphical glitches. Or even any lag. One minute I'm running around, the next my PC is restarting and I'm like 'What?'

In the past I've had a few crashes playing Neverwinter since Fury was released. But never anything that force-restarted my PC.
  • Options
    notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hmmm...my computer use to do that. Not just NW but other games as well. I would be find for couple of months then suddenly start shutting down and kicked to restart. It would happen several times then stop later doing it again. Ended up being my battery pack going out.

Just thought I would mention what fixed my problem like that. Use to drive me crazy, it was not only when there was alot of graphics like casters, I could just be standing somewhere and poof....computer would shut down and kick me to restart.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm still running an i7-920 and I haven't had any issues with the game since the patch.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    I'm still running an i7-920 and I haven't had any issues with the game since the patch.

Yeah, its looking more like my vid card instead of the processor. I noticed its running hot since the patch. :( Just weird that I played for 5 hours right before the patch without a problem. Now I can't go 30 minutes (often less) without my computer restarting.

I noticed a beta driver was released for my card a few days ago. Going to give that a try. Not sure after that. As much as I love this game, I'm not going to fry my computer trying to play it.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    try lowering settings to minimum then raising them back up to normal. ive noticed the game seems to be randomly changing my graphic settings on me you don't notice until you either notice stuff looks really good or really bad or stuff starts crashing.
  • Options
    baktanus666baktanus666 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Have you checked if your CPU generates too much heat? Overheating CPU can cause computer restarts. PWE/Cryptic changed something about the game that's supposed to "increase CPU performance". It could be that they messed up again. :)
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well at least you can get the game to launch....
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Yeah, its looking more like my vid card instead of the processor. I noticed its running hot since the patch. :( Just weird that I played for 5 hours right before the patch without a problem. Now I can't go 30 minutes (often less) without my computer restarting.

I noticed a beta driver was released for my card a few days ago. Going to give that a try. Not sure after that. As much as I love this game, I'm not going to fry my computer trying to play it.
    Glad you may have found the issue...hopefully a driver change will take care of it. Of even adjusting in game settings.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)