test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] A beast character race.

deephorizon111deephorizon111 Member Posts: 103
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was looking into the Neverwinter wiki, lore, and books; too no avail I am not finding any beast race offered to be a playable character for this section of lore gameplay.

I was thinking werewolf but... they have no tails and its kinda sad and pathetic. Any feline race, cat people, and reptilian has been over used alot in other MMOs.

So I was thinking, maybe a humanoid bear (Not that panda <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> BS) could be used? Good for great fighter and guardian bad for ranger, caster, and thief.

Maybe a Avian race? Good for thief, caster, and ranger, bad for melee.

Goblins and Orcs are over used so no...

Don't get me wrong, I dont mind Human, elves, Dwarfs, and gnomes but I've made so many on so many other MMOs including MMO DDO, but I want to play something different, that is out of the genre.

EQ and I think this MMO as well, already has made a "Fairy" race. Tiefling (demon race) is okay but that's... not my cup of tea.

Hmm... not many beast race offered on the table. I don't think people would want "Minotaurs" on Neverwinter.

*sigh* This is hard.

Bah! I am going to push for a Bear race, its the only thing I have not seen in MMOs as a playable character and they have a small tail but that can be avoided all together when modeling it.

I've watch some old anime and read some manga comics as a character of interest in story lines and they always seem to make them as a great warriors.

Oh and before you, public community, post about the mount issue thing, well... I have no argument against that and it would look silly. However since DDO, doesn't have mounts and it is based on a DnD setting, I am sure PW will think of a way for the beast race, not requiring the need of a mount for speed percent increase. I could argue about Tieflings using mounts but I wont.

I really just feel the game lacks a playable beast race. I mean when you look at DDO, they had warforged and that was cool but we dont have those in Neverwinter so... *shrugs*

Anyways this is my suggestion. Take care all.
Post edited by deephorizon111 on

Comments

• thekedtheked Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suggest you look at the 4th edition D&D books, for information on other races.
    There will be no bear race. Perhaps Dragonborn would make it in, eventually. Maybe Shifters. Or Wilden. Who can say...except there will be no bear race, and no avian race.
  • deephorizon111deephorizon111 Member Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    theked wrote: »
    I suggest you look at the 4th edition D&D books, for information on other races.
    There will be no bear race. Perhaps Dragonborn would make it in, eventually. Maybe Shifters. Or Wilden. Who can say...except there will be no bear race, and no avian race.

Well I was kinda hoping there would be one because in GW2, they have the Kodan (Polar Bear Race) and the Tengu (Avian Race) and if you bought the collector's edition, in their book, they kinda mentioned that at a later date they would make them a playable race.

However, I don't like the Art GW2 uses, the Equipment they make, doesn't make sense and way... too goofy when you consider the gem shop on the back pack items or cosmetics.

So I was hoping to see DnD's version of what a character beast race would look like in their vision. Most of the time DnD makes good anatomy on beast races to making them pretty realistic so I was kinda hoping.

Edit: You might be right on the "Shifters" being a playable race, there are alot of "Were" 's in the hand book and since "Werewolf Lord" has been revealed and used in the Dungeons on Neverwinter, there may be a high chance that race might be available.

Then again, not sure how they would implement that. It took forever for "Druids" to appear on DDO at a very later date. So if this MMO doesn't do well, "Shifters" may never happen.
  • johnnyspilljohnnyspill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would love to play as a ratkin though I am not in love with the in game models right now. Any were-animal would be cool imo really.
  • natedoggenatedogge Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've played a gnoll, a kobold, dragonborn, orcs, all sorts in 4th edition.

There's no reason they couldn't include any of these as playable. They most likely won't, but they could.

Hell, if you're looking for something werewolfy, there're tonnes of other were-creatures. Werebats are my personal favourite.

Sadly the models are pretty poor for gnolls etc, but there you go.

Plus, GW2 was -awful-

GW1 was my favourite mmo back in the day
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, this isn't GW.

DnD occasionally allows monster races to be playable (IIRC, minotaur is playable under 4e), but it's not common, much less official, and besides, I'd rather see them add the more typical "core" races first, like the genasi.
    Edit: You might be right on the "Shifters" being a playable race, there are alot of "Were" 's in the hand book and since "Werewolf Lord" has been revealed and used in the Dungeons on Neverwinter, there may be a high chance that race might be available.

Then again, not sure how they would implement that. It took forever for "Druids" to appear on DDO at a very later date. So if this MMO doesn't do well, "Shifters" may never happen.

DDO is/was technically incompetent. Considering that shifting as a mechanic has been introduced with Sharandar, shouldn't be so hard to develop a class/race around it.
  • omegadrakeomegadrake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If I am not mistaken couldn't Genasi be any race but have some type of elemental in their ancestry?
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    well back in the beta dragonborn pics were leaked the same time as the archer/warlock pictures assuming these wern't a fabrication dragonborn might be the next race released, I have several friends who also would love to see a kobold player race.

According to some sites that have "leaked pics" there might be a winged fashion outfit on the horizon, Also haloween is coming up STO and CO and even cox are known for holoween having "Become powers" which are controlled temporary transformations. ot saying it will happen here but Id love to see a "Become Giant Spider" or "Become Bear"

im also hoping the owlbear mount is not a hoax