test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to make NW competitive as a "real" full time mmo

zzhylawzzhylaw Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
1. Develop tools to more easily discover exploiters and be more aggressive in punishing aforesaid exploiters. Respond more quickly in closing exploits and most importantly stop releasing new content with exploitable issues.

2. Server wide PVP leaderboards with rankings, a que system that attempts to group people with similar rankings, a separate que for full premade groups, and more pvp maps.

3. "raids" which would really just be fancy dungeons with two five man groups working together in one dungeon, similar to GG but only PVE, instanced, with phat loots. 10 man raiding done that works within existing game mechanics.

4. Profit?
Post edited by zzhylaw on

Comments

• Options
    terrell396terrell396 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ah nice suggestions strongly agree with number 2
  • Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    zzhylaw wrote: »
    1. Develop tools to more easily discover exploiters and be more aggressive in punishing aforesaid exploiters. Respond more quickly in closing exploits and most importantly stop releasing new content with exploitable issues.

This in my opionion is the bigest problem with the game and also the bigest reason why most people leave, mostly out of sheer frustration.

Exploits and bugs seem to appear nearly with every patch and are mounting up very fast some have been in game for months and months without no resolve at all. The band of exploiters which are growning and growing take instant advatage most of the time without any action against them, take the nighmare box bugs and the huge influx of nighmare mounts, Cryptics answer was to fix it fairly fast, obviously because it had a efect on, and the the game econmy, and the action taken to the many 100's if not 1000's of people who took instant advantage of it were told
    'congrats on being lucky' lol seriously !

99% of exploits are reported straight away but very rarly are they acted upon straight away, some are left to run for months, this gives the exploiters masses and masses of time to take huge game alltering advantage of them and more often than not build their characters up gear wise very very fast which as now left a great divide between 'normal' legit game players and exploit and bug runners. Even on the forums when people ask if certain mechanics and obvious bugs are the 'norm' startergy to play the game and 99% of the time they are advised to 'go with the flow' or be left behind.
    Or the most commen advise is to join a guild that strictly runs non exploit content, this is crazy, you should not have to join 'special' non exploit guilds just to play a game as it should be played
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Chasing exploits is like chasing potential virus. We are talking a bunch of people (1000s) against a team of developers (who have stuff to do on top of monitoring?)

Sadly, PvP in MMO are minority compare to PvE crowd. It is a cool idea to implement ladder/leaderboard BUT that means even more fixes, balance and patches that people will not like. PvP balance is WAY harder than PvE. Unless the game is design with PvP from the get go (like Team Fortress or Global Agenda) it is pretty hard to balance it.

I do like raid. 10 man seems to be the magic number now-a-days. I do miss back in the day of 40 to 200+ raid (Lineage)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1) This is a fine, though vague, idea.

2) This isn't a PvP oriented game, so they won't put that much focus on it.

3) That could be fun depending on how it is done.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013

This should have been a priority during open beta, but instead, they didn't do anything, and nice, neat players, massively left the game. Now the only people playing are playing with their friends or just the worst scum the MMO world has ever seen, always looking for a cheating opportunity. That's a shame, because this is a great game and it deserves better anti cheating systems, not more stupid invisible walls people will find a way to jump around. :(
  • Options
    cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1) I agree that finishing dungeon with exploits is less fun but sometimes doing dungeon w/o it is just frustrating. I'm ok with patching all the bugs and exploits but at the same time it would be good to make dungeons more rewarding (many times its not rewarding at all).

2) Agree with everything and would add Guild and individual (divided by GS scores) leaderboards to it.

3) What worries me is that part about "within existing game mechanics" which applies also to reward at the end of it; imagine 10 people and only one gets reward (or 2 if you count 1 enchant as worthtime reward). Maybe for guild with 20+ active players who doesn't care too much for reward it will be fun but for PUGs and lesser guilds it will be non existing.
  • Options
    pwnznoobzpwnznoobz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I aggree 100 perc, also cryptic please add like even 3-5 boss Raid, we need even a 8 man raid for this game would be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, 2 tanks, 2 healers, 4 dps, or 1 tank if fight permits etc, I raid in wow @ fairly top us lvl, why i still play wow i need my raid fix and wow is still best pve raiding out there atm, I beg of ya cryptic if u want this game to surivive for anytime with people that love pve please make a 8-10 man raid, even 3-4 bosses would be great, and ty cryptic on great work so far
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Chasing exploits is like chasing potential virus. We are talking a bunch of people (1000s) against a team of developers (who have stuff to do on top of monitoring?)

Sadly, PvP in MMO are minority compare to PvE crowd. It is a cool idea to implement ladder/leaderboard BUT that means even more fixes, balance and patches that people will not like. PvP balance is WAY harder than PvE. Unless the game is design with PvP from the get go (like Team Fortress or Global Agenda) it is pretty hard to balance it.

I do like raid. 10 man seems to be the magic number now-a-days. I do miss back in the day of 40 to 200+ raid (Lineage)

But if the devs put out a blanket statement saying that anyone found to be using an exploit will be punished harshly, and they follow through on their threat, people will learn quickly not to exploit. So even if they remain in, people will eventually get it through their heads that using them is a bad idea...

They don't even need to spell out what *exactly* is considered an exploit - a few general examples and a statement that said list is not exhaustive, would be enough.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Even the original Teamfortress wasn't balanced very well by class. It was due to the map design and chokepoints that made it balanced in team play.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Actually, they will have to be pretty clear as to what constitutes an exploit if they are going to be handing out harsh punishments. Those who paid good money into this game deserve more than vague generalities if the punishments are to include account banning.
  • Options
    chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do tbink bigger group content wouod help a lot. Even 8man dungeons would be good. Not only could cryptic then make a more "hardcore" progression path, but this would also increase the viability of support classes and things like offtank GWF builds. I really feel even just adding a 6th slit to dungeon runs would go a long way to helping with class role issues.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How to spot an exploit:

Step 1.) Ask yourself "Should I be able to do this?"
    Step 2.) If the answer to (1) is "NO" then it is an exploit and you should NOT be doing it.

You really do not need 'Clarification' as people keep throwing around, you just need the above.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    PvP is a waste and no resources should be expended on it, ever. No reason for a leaderboard (lol) for PvP simply because PvP is a useless activity and should not be in this game to begin with.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    How to spot an exploit:

Step 2.) If the answer to (1) is "NO" then it is an exploit and you should NOT be doing it.

You really do not need 'Clarification' as people keep throwing around, you just need the above.

This is inadequate.

When it comes to account suspension reasonable clarity in standards is essential. What I think I should do may not agree with what those calling the shots on what is or is not an exploit think I should do.

For example, when I first heard of the issue of monsters being pushed off ledges what came to my mind was tactics. Yet, I often hear this action as being described as an exploit, at least by players. So... should I or shouldn't I push things off ledges. Without some sort of clear, defined standard I'm pretty much shooting blind in what the right thing to do is.

If the penalty for guessing wrong in the above situation could be account suspension, and some like myself have invested a good amount of money into their account, I think it reasonable to expect clear standards, especially on issues such as this that have been raised many times on the board.

It will not bode well for the company if it can't adequately define standards on exploiting, and as a result could potentially appear to have a cavalier attitude regarding account suspensions.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There would have to be channels and processes to appeal bans, no doubt, but there is a pretty clear distinction between, for instance, knocking enemies off ledges vs using holes in the terrain to glitch through walls or taking part in suicide runs to get further in the map.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The exploit thing is a very controversial topic to much and people will get accidently banned or use banning to grief others this can waste a lot of GM time trying to sort things out. time that could be used to catch actual exploiters. my though is is they added more account value ie adding account banks more BOA items ect. people would be less likely to want to risk losing their stuff than that guy with 5-10 accounts.

Leaderboard could be a good idea, for both pvp and pve achievements(top score for midsummer feast :P) a lot of people like seeing their name on a temporary board that wouldn't take to long to code up. there could also be titles and stuff. Plus giving the pvpers a little leaderboard that wont really change any game balance or effect other aspects of the game really cant hurt.

10-30 man raids sounds like a great idea on the surface but when you factor in pets and monsters could be chaos on the servers as City of heroes found out when they added in raids. if done right however this could be awesome. Id also love to see raid/Guild foundries that allow more than 5 people into a mission. Probably have to seriously restrict the complexity of the mission but would be very popular im sure, as would pvp foundries.

4, More customizability adding craft-able outfits maybe drop cosmetic items in end game dungeons:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?483891-Idea-Craftable-Fashion-Objects&p=6026521#post6026521
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    There would have to be channels and processes to appeal bans, no doubt, but there is a pretty clear distinction between, for instance, knocking enemies off ledges vs using holes in the terrain to glitch through walls or taking part in suicide runs to get further in the map.

Absolutely, there is a big difference there, and intentionally glitching through walls is a pretty clear exploit. I mentioned the knocking off ledges on in particular as that one seems to be often debated.

Heh, there was one time when one of the monsters knocked me back so that I was trapped in the terrain, and could move about normally and such but couldn't find a way back out, so there would have to be an appeal process for sure.

Of course, there is a big difference between knocking just about everything off ledges, and occasionally bumping the odd thing off, so I suppose that might be the basis of some of the difference of opinion on that particular issue.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Absolutely, there is a big difference there, and intentionally glitching through walls is a pretty clear exploit. I mentioned the knocking off ledges on in particular as that one seems to be often debated.

Heh, there was one time when one of the monsters knocked me back so that I was trapped in the terrain, and could move about normally and such but couldn't find a way back out, so there would have to be an appeal process for sure.

Of course, there is a big difference between knocking just about everything off ledges, and occasionally bumping the odd thing off, so I suppose that might be the basis of some of the difference of opinion on that particular issue.

It happening once would never be too much of an issue (most MMO players have gotten outside the map in other MMOs due to glitches and stuff) but finding a reliable way to repeat it and instead of reporting it using it to gain an advantage, that's exploiting.
  • Options
    bladepowahbladepowah Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2013
    sasheria wrote: »

A fellow lineage player here. Yes those are fun times, imagine raiding valaks/antharas took many many hours to complete and you got some pvp in the lair, and everything drooling about the epic jewels. No wonder before, they use to have joke stuffs like "WTT baium ring to my family, WTT Antharas earring to Ferrari. You can just imagine how precious and worthy it is to have them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    It happening once would never be too much of an issue (most MMO players have gotten outside the map in other MMOs due to glitches and stuff) but finding a reliable way to repeat it and instead of reporting it using it to gain an advantage, that's exploiting.

Yes, as I agreed, repeatedly glitching the terrain for the sake of advantage is a pretty clear cut example of exploitation. Clear cut situations of exploit aren't an issue. Ambiguous situations may be the cause of problems, if reasonably clear standards are not set in place.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I agree with raiding along with new T3 gear.

Cryptic please give an actual reason for most of the players in your "2million strong" base to come back to this game
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    all solid ideas. I hope they are working on a few of these. For pve 10 person raids would be nice to get more guild community. Also alot of people enjoy the combat pvp, would be good to add some perks there as well. I'll add one more, please god add another pvp map :P
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    fennelfennel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I'd be especially pleased with this. Botting shouldn't be ignored, either. It's very demoralizing to see someone with far less of an honor code leave their game running with a macro driven command, while they sleep or do housekeeping.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    10-30 man raids sounds like a great idea on the surface but when you factor in pets and monsters could be chaos on the servers as City of heroes found out when they added in raids. if done right however this could be awesome. Id also love to see raid/Guild foundries that allow more than 5 people into a mission. Probably have to seriously restrict the complexity of the mission but would be very popular im sure, as would pvp foundries.

I don't really see raids working in this game until there's significantly more mechanics added/character customization (gameplay-wise) introduced. There just aren't enough roles to fill presently to build a meaningful 10-man raid without resorting to bloating HP or spamming adds.

More classes/paragons with more class specific skills is, IMO, the only way raids could work in a game like this.
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    How to spot an exploit:

Much too vague... Try this :

If it should be reported as a BUG, benefits the player, and can be repeated, it is an EXPLOIT.

Although exploits should be reported, failure to do so is in itself not a punishable offense, as players are not responsible for game content.

Repeatedly or continually taking advantage of an exploit should be defined as EXPLOITATION, and constitutes a punishable offense, as the player is responsible for their own behavior.

Communicating or teaching an exploit to other players also constitutes a punishable offense and should result in more serious punishment.

Penalty severities should range from warnings to expulsions at the discretion of the GMs and should reflect both the magnitude and duration of the offense. They may take into consideration both the history of the player and any warnings they may have previouosly received for similar activities.

An appeal process would be nice, but technically optional. The EULA all players agree to gives the company pretty much carte blanche authority on subscription terminations.

Note: the exploit definition itself is nearly a standard, or was .. and the rest of it simply reflects what I have seen in other games.
  • Options
    spadgerspadger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    An open world pvp zone for two different factions for level 60's with unique daily quests that grants rewards, as well as awarding rewards for pvp kills.