test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Allowing at-wills to all be used ...

lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, I saw this in another post that was flamed to hell because the poster started on a high-horse. But here's a simple suggestion:

Tie each at will with a very specific motion-and-click option of the mouse (unlike the current one-click equals one-power method). Take GWF for instance.

Sure Strike - Left Click
Weapon Master's Strike - Left Click and Drag from left to right
Reaping Strike - Right Click and Hold
Wicked Strike - Right Click

The crux of this idea is allowing players to choose to keep their current keybindings or mix and match as they see fit, instead of sticking players with options they are unaccustomed to and forcing them to abandon their current method.

Would it break the system if all players had access to all their at-wills?
"Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
Post edited by lobo0084 on

Comments

• Options
    xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    It's not a horrible idea, but you have to consider everything else around it. For one there are tactical and playstyle choices that are forced by limiting to only use two. On top of that there are feats and powers that augment certain at wills. If you were able to use them all and then spec accordingly, your character would be essentially 'broken' and over powered. This would of coarse lead to more nerfs which the whiny little children would be up in arms about and declare quitsies everywhere as if someone cared.

So you shallow out the experience and gameplay. break the current system and force nerfs. and dismantle public opinion because its always the narrow minded babies that speak the loudest. It wouldn't be food for the game or experience. Though it is a cool idea.

There is also some flawed logic. if one click activates, its hard to get through your combo. If you add a drag then you are interfering with the camera and aiming. It's would be a painful undertaking and almost require a full re-code just to get that functionality.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I believe this is how the spellplague got started. :rolleyes:

It could be fun.
    It would take a long time to remember which one gets the hold and which gets the drag.
    If it happens, put some stock in carpal tunnel braces.
    :eek:
  • Options
    forsakenavenger#8064 forsakenavenger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    valwryn wrote: »
    I believe this is how the spellplague got started. :rolleyes:

It could be fun.
    It would take a long time to remember which one gets the hold and which gets the drag.
    If it happens, put some stock in carpal tunnel braces.
    :eek:
    LMAO! :cool:
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    One problem:
    Unlike encounters which are artificially capped at 3 (4) powers by the Neverwinter mechanics (as button mashy and NW could be it would be even more so if players had access to all of their encounter powers) you are limited to two At Wills at a times in PnP 4E D&D.

You're not really supposed to have more than 2 At-Will Attacks and while the devs could, in theory, toss that limitation out of the door it would be unlikely IMO. All of the additional limitations are for the sake of game balance and removing limitations is generally an unbalancing act. :p

In a nutshell the reason why they mess with the limitations laid out by D&D is to increase game balance. It's unlikely that they'll reduce any limitations defined by D&D Rules.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Does anyone here actually believe the devs have any idea on how to balance anything?
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Does anyone here actually believe the devs have any idea on how to balance anything?

Balance in an MMO is an illusion, if it was simple to balance classes then WoW wouldn't need to do any balancing passes 2 years after releasing an EP. Any balance pass works until someone finds a new fotm build, then another balance pass is needed.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Won't happen. The idea of having limited powers is to make people actually think about what they're walking into combat with. Yes, trades-offs are a thing.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    In my opinion the at-wills are perfect. Should only be one created an extra slot for utility encounters.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Balance in an MMO is an illusion, if it was simple to balance classes then WoW wouldn't need to do any balancing passes 2 years after releasing an EP. Any balance pass works until someone finds a new fotm build, then another balance pass is needed.

I agree. There will NEVER be a "one balance fix all" for any MMO base. It is a constant tweak overtime. Even if the dev tweak one skill (which they do) it may cause a ripple effect that may make another skill more powerful (or less powerful) and thus need MORE tweaks and changes.

All skills look GREAT on paper until you have thousands of players using it and find better combo and FotM.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.