test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level 60 PvP Suggestion: Gear Score Brackets

flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi all, I was playing some PvP with my newly level 60 character yesterday and noticed a lot of frustration going around. The main problem with balancing is that not all level 60 characters are created equal. I'm not talking about classes either- I'm talking about how geared the character is. A new level 60 character just isn't as equipped as a veteran and the disparity really shows between the two. This adds frustration to the game for two main reasons:

1) The person with a low gear score just spends the time being destroyed by people with a high gear score.

2) The people with high gear scores get annoyed by a member of their team that can't do much because of their low gear score.

So I propose the queue puts people in two brackets. (Maybe more if people think that's better.) One with a gear score below maybe 9k and one with gear scores above 9k. (Or maybe some different cut off, I'm not sure what a good score is.)

Does anyone else think this or something like this would be a good idea?
Post edited by flamexsoldier on

Comments

• darkchlddarkchld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi all, I was playing some PvP with my newly level 60 character yesterday and noticed a lot of frustration going around. The main problem with balancing is that not all level 60 characters are created equal. I'm not talking about classes either- I'm talking about how geared the character is. A new level 60 character just isn't as equipped as a veteran and the disparity really shows between the two. This adds frustration to the game for two main reasons:

1) The person with a low gear score just spends the time being destroyed by people with a high gear score.

2) The people with high gear scores get annoyed by a member of their team that can't do much because of their low gear score.

So I propose the queue puts people in two brackets. (Maybe more if people think that's better.) One with a gear score below maybe 9k and one with gear scores above 9k. (Or maybe some different cut off, I'm not sure what a good score is.)

There is one major flaw with this....You would have people with 12-13k gs, take off gear wait till queue pops, then put all the gear on as a work around.
  • har1106har1106 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If the developers could somehow lock the gear slots when the match started then players would be forced to use the gear they queued wearing. I do agree with Flamexsoldier in that level 60 pvp needs to be balanced! I will admit that I am not a big pvp player and only pvp with friends but Neverwinter pvp was great until I hit level 60. Now I queue and I am up against players who do nothing but pvp. They have the gear and skills strictly for pvp and within two to three hits my character is dead. I have had matches where most of the players on my team all leave because they are fighting a losing battle. I might as well just sit at the spawn and get what points I can, so what is the point in actually queuing for a pvp match if there is no chance of a challenge!
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The problem I see is that a lot of people are spending a lot real money to get those high gear scores for PVP, so if you allow a lower tiered bracket you eliminate the motivation for some people to sink cash into this game, which isn't in PWE's interest.
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    darkchld wrote: »
    There is one major flaw with this....You would have people with 12-13k gs, take off gear wait till queue pops, then put all the gear on as a work around.

GS is rechecked when you accept Q pop and locked thereafter until match is over. Pretty easy, and eliminate the armor swapping people we're posting about recently.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • smokeygbsmokeygb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited September 2013
    This should be a given at this point and has been discussed for months. C'mon Cryptic, put gear locking and gear tiers into place.
  • metaplexusmetaplexus Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The idea is of course good, but remember that GS is calculated differently for different classes.

Seen those 12k gs Guardian Fighters? Yep, they get that much with rather low gear.

Then, some enchants don't count for GS (tenes for example, I think), so they would need to add the GS count for everything that is currently missing it.

And, as a TR, I want the freedom to switch my gear depending on the fight. Rogues have one ability which makes them super-annoying point contesters. If the enemy score needs to be stopped quickly, I do what I must and contest a node with gear not fitting my normal spec.

edit: And actually, saying low GS players get crushed by higher ones is not actually true. A good group, preferably with voice communication has a huge impact against an unorganised higher GS group. Not saying that it would help against p2w dudes, but it does do something.
  • kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I think the idea is good.

One bracket for 10k GS and above.
    One bracket for under 10k GS.
    Have the gear slots lock when entering pvp.

I like this because I am sick of queue and being stuck with a team that has blue and green gear. The team members with the blue and green gear 90% of the time get killed of quickly and it ends up being 1v5. I mainly use a 13GS TR.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The gear score requirement would have to be different for each class.
    I play a 13.8k TR with rank 9 enchants.
    I've seen a GF with 18k with rank 7 enchants.
    If they did a general gear score requirement for all classes you'd still end up getting stuck with under-geared GF's and GWF's.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • naillinailli Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and assume if I want to pound face at lvl 60, then I should pvp grind from 50-60 for glory points?
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Even an extremely low cap like 9.2k would be preferable to nothing. It would keep most of the new 60s fighting each other and not getting horribly mismatched with characters very far outside of their range.

Probably best not to even attempt to stratify PvP too much. As others have noted GS is too inconsistent across the board and too subject to artificial inflation and deflation.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• ch4rxych4rxy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    Even an extremely low cap like 9.2k would be preferable to nothing. It would keep most of the new 60s fighting each other and not getting horribly mismatched with characters very far outside of their range.

Probably best not to even attempt to stratify PvP too much. As others have noted GS is too inconsistent across the board and too subject to artificial inflation and deflation.

Im one of those just 60 players and if played 9 games so far and i lost 8 games 7 of those my team left of where down right insta killed...... the 1 game that was even was great ! and the 1 that we won we 1 hitted the enemy...
    WTF there is no motivation for new players to even try pvp.... they know they get insta killed most of the time....

so imo trion wil lose alot of new players to this ****ty PVP mechanics !where uber geared NUKE low geared.....

so EITHER make a ladder system like in Leugue of legends OR make good use of GS.
  • swarfega27swarfega27 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ch4rxy wrote: »
    Im one of those just 60 players and if played 9 games so far and i lost 8 games 7 of those my team left of where down right insta killed...... the 1 game that was even was great ! and the 1 that we won we 1 hitted the enemy...
    WTF there is no motivation for new players to even try pvp.... they know they get insta killed most of the time....

so imo trion wil lose alot of new players to this ****ty PVP mechanics !where uber geared NUKE low geared.....

so EITHER make a ladder system like in Leugue of legends OR make good use of GS.

Might want to recheck the name at the top and bottom of this forum just incase what you type causes readers to disregard it.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Something would be good. I haven't even gone into level 60 pvp on my hr because I know that all that will happen is death from being in mostly blues still, and I really hate glory piking which is what an ungeared toon amounts to in pvp.
  • shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Actually, if you're in all 60s blues, you're fine for PVP. Unless you catch one of the roving pre's of ubar-geared people, you shouldn't have any issue with playing and living. Heck, most DCs wear blues, because the epic gear that was made for them, doesn't have survival stats.
  • kaoswpkaoswp Banned Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    Actually, if you're in all 60s blues, you're fine for PVP. Unless you catch one of the roving pre's of ubar-geared people, you shouldn't have any issue with playing and living. Heck, most DCs wear blues, because the epic gear that was made for them, doesn't have survival stats.

This man speaks the truth. Watch this noise:

Example: TR lvl 60

1- Battlefield Scavenger set(glory)
    2- ancient weapons(not CN, the cheep ones)
    3- grand necklace of blessings
    4- piercing berserkers rings
    5- frostpelt girdle
    6- blue shirt/pants with slots
    7- rank 7 enchants
    8- normal bark shield
    9- normal terror

All of this requires that you do Sharandar and get 1mil AD which is about $15. Now shhhh
  • idrankthseawateridrankthseawater Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PVP has definitely got to get tweaked/fixed somehow... especially with the new feats and boons out. Is there no place for a casual player now?