test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ice peak epic dungeon advise

pjdvpjdv Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 67
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
okay, tried our first guild epic dungeon...we thought - hey, we've got some pretty good gear, let's give it a go.

We managed to beat the boss only by the classic 'have someone run all the mobs around the room' while a few of us hit the boss for a very long time.

So the boss goes down but then there was no physical way we felt we could actually clear the dungeon with the ice golems respawning even after the boss was dead. We simply could not generate enough DPS period (we have one of each class in the dungeon). Not a problem but if it had been a DD event, I assume we could not have opened the chest 'in combat'. As is, we couldn't even exit the dungeon properly until someone ran the entire MOB set out of the room and you died, did not enter combat and ran to the door.

Just looking for advise on that final battle tactics - spoiler alert! and really, how do you clear that last room with respawning massive hit point, immune to CC ice golems.......
Post edited by pjdv on

Comments

• Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The only tactic that I know of that works is the one you used. Your tank aggros all the adds, trolls and ice golems and then kites them back and forth until the main boss is dead. DDs help out with Sharpshooters as soon as they respawn, as they will kill your tank if there are too many.

After the boss is dead, let everyone die. Let everyone except one person stay dead. That one person revives alone and walks into the room and gets killed by the add horde. After that, the mobs will despawn and the room is clear.

Yeah it is silly as hell. But I don't see how anyone but a super geared team would even begin to actually kill the adds the normal way, during the fight. So this slightly cheesy strat is the only one there is that works. It also works regardless of gear level, you just need to have enough patience until the boss finally dies.

This fight could definitely be designed better. All the boss fights in this dungeon are a bit buggy, we often have the problem that after bosses 1 or 2 the adds don't even stop spawning. They sometimes keep coming even after the boss has been dead for 30 minutes and the party moved on many rooms.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks. Am happy that being laughed at by those stupid golems isn't just our experience
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    All the boss fights in this dungeon are a bit buggy, we often have the problem that after bosses 1 or 2 the adds don't even stop spawning. They sometimes keep coming even after the boss has been dead for 30 minutes and the party moved on many rooms.

This. I've had runs where the trolls from the first boss keep turning up in a slow but steady stream, all the way to the end. Kinda amusing (since they come along one by one, and thus get almost immediately kerbstomped), but probably not working as intended.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    oh we definately had this at every campsite....only honey badger being the crafty little creature he is was aware of them long before we got back from our bio break
  • Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Yes, kiting mobs is only way to succeed (poor mechanics imo).

As for the adds that remain and keep spawning after final boss is dead, have everyone die and not respawn. Some mobs will despawn then. Next, have only 1 person rez and run in and die again. Most of the mobs will despawn. After that, the rest of group can revive. There should only be a few mobs to kill after that.
  • Options
    alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    The number of adds is ridiculous ... I've never seen a game where the tank is forced to flee all the time the adds instead of fighting with them. Yesterday I made a FH for the first time and found a joke totally frustrating to be forced to just run for 10 minutes with 50 mobs behind me.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ya, that's not how I would want to play a tank. He kept asking us 'should I fight them', 'can I turn around' and we just told him KEEP RUNNING! freaking conga line that was funny if it wasn't so sad
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Interesting thread. The only time I've ever completed Frozen Heart was by precisely doing this. We had a GF that knew the score and guided us through the boss fight, then the "all die, one respawn" technique. I have failed it on a few times, overwhelmed by adds that you can't CC and take forever to kill.

I'd love to hear from any of the mods or Cryptic mappers about this fight. Is this how it's supposed to be? I'd be fascinated to hear from anyone at all that's managed it without a GF. Long distance running never struck me as the natural skill of a chunky tank...
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?
  • Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    make sure that no one aggros any mobs except for the tank (besides the archers which the cw should be killing)
    you can three man (tank, tr, cw) this without a healer if the tank is good/geared/specced enough

another thing you can do is, dont kill all the archers because they will just respawn.. keep one aggrod on cw and one on cleric and let it plink away, it wont kill you

also if you dont have a tank, the cleric can kite all the adds
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    bubba1966 wrote: »
    make sure that no one aggros any mobs except for the tank (besides the archers which the cw should be killing)
    you can three man (tank, tr, cw) this without a healer if the tank is good/geared/specced enough

another thing you can do is, dont kill all the archers because they will just respawn.. keep one aggrod on cw and one on cleric and let it plink away, it wont kill you

The question is, how did you end it once you'd topped the boss? Kill the adds, or die for victory?
  • Options
    danielztdanielzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    bubba1966 wrote: »

Exactly, we did it with three men too a while back.
    TR on boss, CW on archers, GWF kite mobs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    danielzt wrote: »
    Exactly, we did it with three men too a while back.
    TR on boss, CW on archers, GWF kite mobs.

1st Axiom of Internet Forums : forumites never ever pass up the opportunity to boast

Postulate : if no-one is boasting about the situation in question, something is up!

Conclusion : No-one has ever completed Frozen Heart by killing all the adds on the final boss, including forum mods.

Seriously though, who has done this?