test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The woes of limiting gameplay mechanics to the action bar

naillinailli Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
The ONLY real thing that irks me about this game (most of all) is that we're utterly limited to what we have locked into the action bar. I mean, it's totally ridiculous to make combat abilities linear in a dynamic combat environment most especially when you can't fully utilize your powers without activating them first...VIA the dreaded action bar.

Simply put, what's the point of spending 'points' on multiple powers if you can't use key and mouse modifiers to toggle between them?

For example:

Cleave = Left Click Press
Crushing Surge = Left Click Hold
Threatening Rush = Left Click Drag

Yes these are all At-will Guardian strike powers, 2 thirds of which I have to ignore because of these 'linear' limitations; which to me is a serious design flaw...

One solution I can see befitting to this game, is to allow key and mouse bindings to be set directly through the Power Sheet. The only thing that really needs to be on the action bar is toggling between Class Features and keeping track of cooldowns.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Post edited by nailli on

Comments

• Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The whole point is to force you to make choices. If you had access to every power then the only choices you have to make are what order to fire them off. Having 3 encounter, 2 daily, 2 at-will and 2 passives make it more interesting, and I believe that it leads to more variety. And it allows those other powers to be available when you expect to need them, that makes the points spent on them useful and not wasted.

For example: I usually have Opressive Force and Arcane Singularity on as my CW's dailys. But when going up against the last fight of MC I switch out AS for Ice Knife, and I also switch in Ray of Enfeeblement and Chill Strike, other powers that are not usually on my bar. I find that far more interesting that having all of those powers constantly ready to fire at the click of a button or 2.
  • Options
    alderonthedracoalderonthedraco Member Posts: 82
    edited September 2013
    In my opinion the number of at-wills are good ... The only complaint I have is the number of encounters. There should be an extra slot for utility powers.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    This isn't a table top game. Unless you can show me where the dice is? It's a serious design flaw to mix linear combat (client side) with dynamic combat (server side)...It's absolute nonsense to limit us to the action bar and this is all coming from someone who played DnD in the 80s. Trust me when I say this, the combat mechanics on both sides completely contradict one another and I think they know this. My best guess is that this mess is a result of them listening to beta fanboys who haven't a clue about what they're talking about...
  • Options
    joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I kind of agree with OP. While WoW's options were a bit overwhelming, NW's three encounters gets really, really monotonous even with the great combat system. I often wish for a 4th Encounter option. I understand the rules of 3rds, rock paper scissors, but that's just me.
    BladeRunner-Proud member of the BlackCloaks.
  • Options
    clearlyavirginclearlyavirgin Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    nailli wrote: »
    I'm 30.

So devs...is this who you were listening to in your past beta tests?

I'm never coming here again...

I highly doubt any of the devs read this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> anyways...perhaps moderators pass on one good idea or another at meetings.

Other than that, we're just dollar signs...pfft, I should have learned to accept this fact by now.

The forums are here to keep you from bombing them with emails....remember that.
    Now you seem to get it. Complaining, suggesting, and ranting is pointless. This forum is just one big distraction.
    This game is f2p but the devs will do whatever they can to get every last bit of cash from this cow.

For example. The DD bops didn't impact too hard on current players. However it made it almost impossible for a new player to get better gear once hitting level 60 without spending money.
    Unless of course this new player finds a team willing to carry them throughout the entire dungeon just to get t2s.

But don't forget, before you can enter most dungeons you have to at least get pvp gear, which takes around 25k glory to get.
    So they want you to pvp to get that 25k glory which takes forever. Even longer if you're constantly losing because you're dragging your team down do to poor gear.

Furthermore. I apologize for lashing out at you.
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nailli wrote: »
    I'm not trying to win anyone over who makes a reference to WoW and I'd rather snuff them out first before they open their dumb mouths again.

There is nothing streamlined about it. (period)

I haven't fired off on anyone who disagrees with me only those who have made simple minded comments in reference to WoW. In my view, anybody that starts an argument with a contradiction is a fanboy.

I made no direct insults at anyone since, legally speaking, they were generalized.

I really think they don't have consoles in mind otherwise they'd make the effort to fully understand all of the factors and sub-factors that go into combat. We can all agree that combat is broken up into two main factors with 4 sub-factors:

Offensive:
    Strike (anything that deals direct damage)
    Grapple (stuns, roots, throws, locks etc)
    Defensive:
    Evasion (dodges, etc)
    Deflection (blocks, parries, etc)

Now, since most game controllers come with 4 right-thumb buttons, you'd figure they'd tailor the system towards utilizing those 4 sub-factors (strike, grapple, evasion, deflection) by using them as modifiers for more complex maneuvers. However that isn't the case and in fact, they completely ignore it.

Simple sells?
    Maybe to the simple minded...
    However, when was DND ever simple?

Don't try to turn this into the controller version of WoW brah. We don't need that here.
    10PM CST

• Options
    suckatash1suckatash1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24
    edited September 2013
    I can tell you now. Action is furious - especially with me PvPing as a DC. If I had to cover any more skills, I might break my pinky or get a score wrist. It's already at a point I have to rest my hands after a few battles. I have to use my spells from memory and at the right time. I can do this about 80% of the time. I'd say the number of skills is just enough to make me have to work at it.
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nailli, try to ignore all the useless,mindless posts in this thread.
    The gameplay forum is full of players who post often, but have little to say.

I play Star Trek Online. In STO, all powers can be slotted on the action bar.
    In STO PvE, my battles are as such:

1. Park ship within range of enemy
    2. Cycle through powers/abilities while shooting enemy.
    3. repeat 2 until enemy is dead.

I play as a control wizard in NW. Imagine if I could slot every power available.
    Here's how I would play PvE.

1. Slot every available stun/control power.
    2. Move to within range of enemy.
    3. Cycle through all stuns/control powers. Enemy will be permanently (or almost permanently) stunned/controlled.
    4. Repeat until enemy is dead.

Imagine pvp against a control wizard with a huge action bar. He will put every available stun/control on his bar, and stun/control you to death.

To summarize,
    Because there are a limited number of powers on the action bar, it means there are times when encounter powers are on cooldown.
    When all/most encounter powers are on cooldown and when daily powers are not charged, the player becomes vulnerable and must move (or use other tactics/strategy) to avoid enemy attack. Hence, we describe such gameplay as action combat.

The only times I die in STO PvE is when I am one-shotted (which is rare) or when all/most powers/abilities are on cooldown (also rarely happens since I have a power which reduces the cooldown of other powers).
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm fine with it.
    I like to think that's why Encounters are called Encounters! So you get actually forced to use your brain and select the powers you must use for a specific situation (encounter).

But well, the main problem is that half of your powers are just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and you actually end up with too many powers you'll never use. In the end it feels kinda stupid to have a skillpoint limit. The current system allows you to max 20 out of 27 powers. We could just "buy" them as it is in other games and leave the tough choices and point spending for the talents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Having 3 encounter, 2 daily, 2 at-will and 2 passives make it more interesting, and I believe that it leads to more variety.

The opposite is the case - it does not lead to more variaty but to almost similar builds. Take a DC in a T2 dungeon. You hardly won't dismiss Astral shield or slot Searing Strike there because your party will need the heals. Most likely you will have the stuff to heal and reduce damage, maybe mix in one different abilitiy, but overall you are playing a DC like most of the people do. If - on the other hand - you would have a chance to slot 2 more encounter powers you could mix in more situative stuff that you could use beside healing, when the party has not much trouble at a time to survive, or if you would need some kind of rescue ability to root the enemies or whatever. I normally would not use chains in a T2 dungeon, because I will drop heals, if I would have more slots I might use it, just to be able to have some CC the time I need it. Or put in a nice debuff, to help the team fighting bosses.

In the end the limitations just will be boring very soon, because you are very limited to a certain role.
  • Options
    oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That's because as a DC there's nthing better to put in 3 slots. The other abilities are just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or just not as good as the other 3.

I've seen plenty of CWs and not all of them are clones. there are CWs who use frost spells, there are others who still use pushbacks all the time, others who just DPS... I mean there's a lot of variety. There's those who use chill strike as Aoe, others who use conduit, others sho use entangling force.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As a tank, the origin of this thread stems from my personal observation of the lack of versatility and an awareness of the origins of this game. Which are in complete contradiction with one another. I've said it before and I'll say it again, linearizing player abilities within a dynamic environment is most detrimental to gameplay...In fact, it makes absolutely zero sense if you really think about it...
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Well I foresee a locking of this thread very soon very multiple obvious reasons.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well I foresee a locking of this thread very soon very multiple obvious reasons.

And I foresee, that you'll never give any feedback that is of value to anyone...ever...care to say anything more that is completely useless?
  • Options
    dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    And I see your simply mad because no one agrees with you.

And you go off on people who gives a different opinion than your own and try to belittle them, and neglect most of what the people thats already posted has said to you.

And even edited your posts which I wont even start about.

There comes a point when theres no point in trying to even argue in this thread with how you are. lol.

just like a poster said before.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do not have a DC so I can not speak to any possible variety with their builds.

I do have a CW, GWF, GF and TR though. I see a decent amount of variety in CWs, as a previous poster stated. I am currently using Entangling Force, Sudden Storm, Conduit and Steal Time, but I have several other powers that I occasionally switch in for specific fights, and while leveling up I used a very different set up. I see many mages using Chill Strike and Avalanche. And that does not even count the possible difference is dailys (not a lot of choice I admit) and their passives.

There is also a decent amount of possibilities for a GWF, depending on their build. It might be easier to see differences in GWFs if there was more reason to play one. I am not as down on the GWF as many people seem to be, but the class does need some help.

I also see quite a bit of difference between TRs. And there is a huge difference between a TR PvP and PvE build. Some prefer Impact Shot, while I have also seen many TRs with Blitz on their PvE build. To be fair, Blitz is easy to spot so I may just be remembering the times I recognize it more than all the times that I don't.

There is also several good choices for a GF, depending on how tankish you wish to be.

I am all for additional variety between builds, and I hope that our upcoming new Paragon Paths will help with that.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    For example. The DD bops didn't impact too hard on current players. However it made it almost impossible for a new player to get better gear once hitting level 60 without spending money.
    Unless of course this new player finds a team willing to carry them throughout the entire dungeon just to get t2s.

I have to disagree. My DC just hit 60 and I find it much easier to get T2 with the change. I ran 1 karru and got my choice of T2 gloves. GS is less meaningful for DC, but other classes just have to get their T1 first (which is also easier during DD). So the time it takes to actually farm all your gear is less even with having to farm T1 since T1 is like 50% drop chance from DD.

Not to mention the lowered GG coin costs of GG gear, so you could farm GG for some decent T2 and those dungeons are super easy.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.