test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reaping Strike: Discuss

farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in The Militia Barracks
According to my other poll. Most players feel the GWF need more AOE damage breaking hit caps on all moves making encounters better ECT. I propose to make the first step in this direction by Buffing Reaping strike.

Reaping strike is a slow painful move to use in PvE and is completely useless in PvP. In PvE you can be knocked out of your reaping charge with the most basic of CC plus while charging you cannot dodge at all. To add insult to injury if you do consistently hit 5 targets with full charge reaping strike your damage will not be any better, or maybe even a little worse than if you were using Wicked strike.

Reaping strikes only advantage it has on the other at wills is you gain more determination from being hit while charging it yay... It has the same damage reduction for extra targets hit that other at wills have.

First the damage reduction per target hit needs to be removed. And the hit cap needs to be completely removed.

Even with these mods Reaping strike will still be a painful move to utilize. Alone a GWF gets no benefit from these mods he cant group mobs long enough to get the benefit of hitting more than 5 targets. Until you team him up with a CW. A GWf could charge these in Arcane singularities for great effect. This team up will give the GWF more AOE damage than the CW.

This change will hopefully reduce the need for 2 CW's to control and manage adds in Dungeons. and Make a CW and GWF team up the ideal means to handle adds.
Post edited by farfig1337 on

Comments

• durandurahandurandurahan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I dont agree again with you. Even if damage reduction and hit cap remove, this skill still useless. Why?

First, more determination from being hit while charging is completely useless. GWF got almost full determination from being hit by regular attack.
    Second, charging time is too long. In the time your charging complete, either the enemies has been dead or you has been dead.
    Third, the damage is too little and the area attack is too small.

This can be better if, GWF got defense buff (CC immunity, +50% damage reduction) while charging, Reaping strike has its own debuff attack, and More damage and less charging time.
  • cyanbluestone007cyanbluestone007 Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Anybuff to Reaping strike is needed. I can't understand why the devs ignore moves that are so bad that no player ever uses. But yeah I think just removing the hit cap and damage reduction thing wont completely save the move but it is a step in the right direction and It may have uses above and beyond Wicked Strike.

But then again Wicked strike also needs it caps and damage reduction removed. So Reaping strike needs alot more than jsut that.
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Remove the movement reduction while charging should be the first step imo.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    farfig1337 wrote: »
    According to my other poll. Most players feel the GWF need more AOE damage breaking hit caps on all moves making encounters better ECT. I propose to make the first step in this direction by Buffing Reaping strike.

I've been thinking a lot about the target-cap. And although I reckon it can be tweaked in some cases, I do think removing it will really make the class OP. All you have to do then is get as many mobs as you can in a small area and keep the GWF in the middle alive for as long as needed.

But I would like the target-cap of some powers aligned with that of the CW. I think we work great with wizards in gathering the trash and disposing of them. But if they can pull 15 mobs in a tight little ball, I want to be able to hit them all.
    farfig1337 wrote: »
    Even with these mods Reaping strike will still be a painful move to utilize. Alone a GWF gets no benefit from these mods he cant group mobs long enough to get the benefit of hitting more than 5 targets. Until you team him up with a CW. A GWf could charge these in Arcane singularities for great effect. This team up will give the GWF more AOE damage than the CW.

Reaping Strike would be great for that, as you can time it when the mobs are being pulled, maybe even get hit in the process. You can't spam it and with the same target-cap as a CW's Singularity it would still be pretty balanced imo.

Unless maybe you put a Sentinel in the middle and just keep piling mobs on him :confused:
  • wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would remove it completely.
    The skill is so bad nobody needs it, best contribution would be if it freed up space for other at-will. This comes to my mind:

Focused Parry (something like this) no base damage. Simply hold to have 100% deflect and CC immunity slowed movement, if get hit can charge the target. (= weaker version of block with utility and offence added)
  • fredstackfredstack Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think maybe another option out there would be to change up executioner's style so that it buffs reaping strike with some serious AoE damage as opposed to a 25% Single target buff. Also just a flat damage or pen buff to the skill would be amazing.
  • harshalnharshaln Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    this at-will is good but need more dmg or reduced charge time ..there is one feat in destroyer build that gives reaping strike 25% more dmg if hit single target... with other feat include we can get total of (10% a feat +battle fury 15%+12% destroyer stack +25% reaping-strike) 62% increased damage ...in 3 sec of charging toll that's good .. but after i experiment it on this.the feat is not working properly ..the at-will has dmg of around 2300 (i dnt remember right now) 2300 + 62% dmg around 3700 this skill dnt even gives 3k dmg on target dummy
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would take an enormous amount of damage to make this skill useful. Its main problem is slowness in gaining power in PvE and it's ****ing obvious as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in PvP. You'll never hit anyone with it.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What I like about this suggestion is that it does not replace Wicked strike or WMS as the fovored realible AT-wills of the GWF. It is powerful but hard to use, Slow but with good pay off which is what Reaping strike needs to be.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is just part of a suggestion I brought up in another thread.
    -Reaping Strike- damage boost and increased determination gain while charging. (the damage can remain split between multiple targets as it is currently as long as the hit cap is removed), An alternative to the previous, the full power charge of this move could provide knock back instead with twice the distance Shout gives.

the post with the full suggestions can be found Here
  • templarknight91templarknight91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Reaping Strike is a lost cause, move on.

They should however put a small Acute Cone to Indomitable Strike though. (I know it will already hit the targets in front but make it where we can see where it will hit, and make the slam not just in front but a little to the sides)
  • belprahbelprah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The best way to improve Reaping Strike is to make it a copy of Duelist's Flurry, except AoE oriented - no cast time, but slow to build up and devastating when in full swing. Instead of a stacking bleed, it should do a stacking debuff, which allows party members to recover a small (but dependant on stacks) portion of their class mechanic (Guard Meter/Determination/Stealth bar/Arcane Mastery stacks/Divinity).
  • devilwings1337devilwings1337 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like the idea that reaping strike could be a hit cap less at will. It is really the only at-will you can get away with doing that on. But the charge time is ridiculous You would need to add CC immunity while charging so you caould actually use the move in dungeons.
  • farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Interesting that so many players have given up on this skill. I think a No-hit cap at-will would be huge in the hands of a GWF. And yet a landslide of players think this is not enough.

If the Devs look at this post they should realize this and do Something... and Do something fast.

It's my opinion that no-hit cap is a really good place to start. But other players are obviously expecting alot more than that.
  • belprahbelprah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's not enough because:
    - Destroyer lasts only 3 seconds. RS full charge cast takes 2.5 seconds. Add in a delay in-between casts and you'll be hard pressed to build stacks.
    - Same with Weapon Master.
    - I've had SotS stacks expire frequently, if I use RS too much in my dummy-whacking. This almost never happens on other at-wills.
    - If SotS can expire, so can Deep Gash - you lose out on ticks.
    - Slower attacks mean less procs of Blitz.
    - If you use RS while Unstoppable, you need to cast something else before RS, as the first cast doesn't benefit from Unstoppable's attack speed increase.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When you press down and hold on reaping strike, it should pop up a menu letting you choose to respec into gf or cw. Just kidding :p on a serious note, I think they should completely remove the movement speed debuff, allow you to charge and hold a charge while jogging or sprinting around. Then it could be a decent opener whenever going up to mobs. And increase the pitiful damage please.
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    When you press down and hold on reaping strike, it should pop up a menu letting you choose to respec into gf or cw. Just kidding :p on a serious note, I think they should completely remove the movement speed debuff, allow you to charge and hold a charge while jogging or sprinting around. Then it could be a decent opener whenever going up to mobs. And increase the pitiful damage please.

LoL! I see a mad Gwf running after someone with that opener, with the other guy running away all going oshi..ohshi..oshi..! =D lol

But yeh, would be cool, allowing you to run (not sprint).. while charging, and increase the dmg, because at the moment, it's about as useless as it gets ;) *even though the idea / concept of it is cool*

so far:
    Remove The 5x cap (this should also happen on so many other skills) *noticed a cap of 2-3 on some hitts?!* not sure here thou
    Allow you to continue moving normally. (but keep the animation and charging obvious to all players)
    Increase the dmg pr swing, (even allow for increased recharge, for higer dmg?)
    Determination regen is useless* AP recharge instead? or just remove it completly.

And even with these changes, I doubt the skill will be overly usefull in at the higer levels, since faster attacks (allowing for buffs to be active while doing things) will normally be preffered. over a single attack that takes a long time, and will normally allow for most if not all buffs to be gone before you've got it fully charged. X.x
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the onl way id use that skill is if it was ranged

• zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    valliv wrote: »
    LoL! I see a mad Gwf running after someone with that opener, with the other guy running away all going oshi..ohshi..oshi..! =D lol

But yeh, would be cool, allowing you to run (not sprint).. while charging, and increase the dmg, because at the moment, it's about as useless as it gets ;) *even though the idea / concept of it is cool*

so far:
    Remove The 5x cap (this should also happen on so many other skills) *noticed a cap of 2-3 on some hitts?!* not sure here thou
    Allow you to continue moving normally. (but keep the animation and charging obvious to all players)
    Increase the dmg pr swing, (even allow for increased recharge, for higer dmg?)
    Determination regen is useless* AP recharge instead? or just remove it completly.

And even with these changes, I doubt the skill will be overly usefull in at the higer levels, since faster attacks (allowing for buffs to be active while doing things) will normally be preffered. over a single attack that takes a long time, and will normally allow for most if not all buffs to be gone before you've got it fully charged. X.x

You make a good point on the speed of Reaping Strike. GWFs need to hit alot and need to hit often to land there Debuffs. Specifically Student of the sword and there are many Weapon enchants that benfit from this too like Lightning and Plague fire.

Reaping strike needs debuffs it lands to last 5 times longer than normal, then it might be useful, plsu a ton of other stuff damage mobility you name it this move is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> without a serious overhaul.
  • farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Maybe reaping strike is a lost cause.... It will be hard to make this move usable in dungeons without changing the actual mechanics of the power. It's just not a popular mechanic. The devs should really address this.
  • dragoncrest0dragoncrest0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I dont mind the charge at all. It just needs a power increase and maybe a minor side effect.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    New proposed change: Reaping should be altered so that in tooltips and power menus, etc, it will henceforth be known as weeping strike. It should be accompanied by weeping sounds made by the weapon fighter (wrongly referred to as great weapon fighter, but I believe the upcoming patch will address this serious issue), signifying his inability to do more damage than a cleric using dps powers.