test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Punishing Charge: Discuss

farfig1337farfig1337 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Punishing charge is the last Aoe Damage move a GWF gets at lv 45. It has 3 charges and deals damage in a short line in front of a GWF with just a bit more distance than his at-will attacks. The damage it deals is a little less than your weapons listed damage. Non crit my 14k GWF deals about 900 damage to the Target dummies.

Punishing charge is the only Aoe encounter move a GWF gets that does not have reduced damage per target hit.

I used to have a use for this move. Before the AP patch I would bring it into CN and the CW's would gather up all the mobs and I would charge through the mobs dealing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage but quickly filling up my AP bar for a good slam. Now we have no Ap generation on Aoe moves and Slam is no longer useful for damage. Punishing charge has only one use. Running away or charging through red areas.

With so few usable Aoe damage encounters I also have a simple suggestion for this one.

Punishing Charge needs
+100% Damage
Remove Target hit cap.

With the hit cap removed this becomes a great move for when a CW uses an astral seal the GWF can save all 3 charges and blow them on all mobs a CW gathers up, dealing respectable damage. Without a CW around a GWf can still sues this move to doge enemy attacks and red areas and at least do more damage than his at-wills when he does so.
Post edited by farfig1337 on

Comments

• pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Punishing charge is complete joke, most least used encounter for gwf. It has some use in pvp by adding the "dodge move" to gwf that it misses, but it doesn't really dodge anything, right?

It's hallow encounter and would need more than just bumping the damage done. Add some special use for it e.g. bleed effect or anything that would make it worth it to be used.
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'd be fine the way it is if it had just a slight bit distance.

But a damage boost would help too. It does absolutely the same damage as ONE strike of an at will attack.

I know theres very weak encounters damage wise like Shadow Strike, but that serves as an additional useful function.

the only useful function for Punishing charge is a slight distance closer, or escape. And thats not all that great considering you can still be hit normally while doing so. Which is fine in my view.

What Punishing Charge needs is a damage increase and extended distance slightly along with the target hit cap. If theres any encounter a GWF has that needs its hit cap removed, its Punishing Charge,

Where Reaping Strike I think is the At-Will that needs its hit caped removed as a priority as an at will.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had high hopes for it when I first tried it, but it's the most useless skill of the GWF at the moment. Why would I want to rush through a bunch of mobs hitting a few with comparable damage to an at-will?

If it were to lay them prone, scatter them or do anything worthwhile I could see some purpose to it. Maybe I'm just too much in love with the GF's Frontline Surge or a CW's Endless Avalanche, but I reckon GWF's need something like that too, and Punishing Charge seems a nice candidate for it.
  • belprahbelprah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I tested Punishing Charge in the 'AOE test pit' foundry a few minutes ago and found out the following:

1. Punishing Charge on its own, when used 3 times on a 5 targets, earned me 56% AP.
    Calculates to 18.7% per charge, 3.74% per mob.

2. Punishing Charge while Unstoppable + Unstoppable Action 5/5 used 3 times on 5 targets earned me 70% ap.
    Calculates to 23.3% per charge, 4.6% per mob.

3. Punishing Charge, Unstoppable + Unstoppable Action 5/5 + Battle Fury used 3 times on 5 targets resulted in 84% ap.
    Calculates to 28% AP per charge, 5.6% per mob. => AP gain bonuses from feat and Battle Fury are additive.

All gains were calculated from a starting point of 0% AP. There were some minor fluctuations, for example, one time I got 80% AP on 3), the next time I got 84%. I can only contribute it to not hitting 5 targets on some charges and perhaps to rounding issues.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Punishing Charge is a utility encounter.
    Roar is a utility encounter.

Both used to generate AP per target until the last patch when they removed AP per target from Roar.
    Punishing Charge still returns AP per target.

Deep Gash bleeds for 0 with Punishing Charge. You can verify this in the Trade of Blades.

Developer Logic as follows - So one of two things is going to happen.

1) They will restore AP per target for Roar.
    2) Nerf the ever loving ***** out of Punishing Charge.
    3) Ignore the fact that Punishing Charge triggers Deep Gash to tick for 0 damage.
  • belprahbelprah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I highly doubt that 1) is going to happen anytime soon. 2) depends on how many GWFs start putting it on their bars* and 3) is 99% sure to happen.

* Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think that it was no coincidence that Roar and Slam got the heck nerfed out of them within the same patch. The only thing that makes sense about why they were nerfed, is that Devs simply crunched numbers and took statistics of what abilities were used the most and saw that Roar and Slam were ubiquitous for all specs. Instead of looking into why that was the case, they simply chose the easy and lazy way out.
    Same with Sun Burst for DCs and a number of other skills across the board for other classes. Nerfed not because they were OP per se, but because they were over-used.
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    its good that u didnt see it in alpha, now that was a train of pain :D

• zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I remember Alpha, back when you got Punishing charge at lv 1 and it was the GWFs' go to move for mobility and aoe damage.

Bring back the pain train because no one ever uses this move. The point of Aoe Moves is that when fighting multiple opponents you should be doing more damage than your single target attacks do against a single opponent. I don't care that Punishing charge still gives good AP... All GWF's dailys suck now. So why even bother with AP
  • pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What if it would cause interruption for casting, not knock down to prone, just interruption. You could charge to cw/dc to stop its casting in pvp or brake some nasty spells in pve.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pelkast wrote: »
    What if it would cause interruption for casting, not knock down to prone, just interruption. You could charge to cw/dc to stop its casting in pvp or brake some nasty spells in pve.

A Three charge interrupt like the GF has but with AOE? That might jsut get the GF's to start complaining and I dont think that will help the GWFs get more groups in Dungeons. Especially with the sorry state of this moves DPS. Face it when players invite GWF's to groups they want them to top damage charts if you dont you are a bad GWFs. and Cryptic balances all classes so they can all have the same damage potential and defense, if built for it.

GWF gets left because the lack threat like GF, control like GWF, or DPS, avoidance and stealth like TR.

GWF's need powerful AOE damage moves its what players expect of the GWF that they simply dont have. Once a GWF meets other players expectations of a useful member of the party then they will get steady groups.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Don't add damage. Extend the range of the charge and provide knockback and stun (not knockdown) for all targets hit. Let us barrel through the baddies on our way to the boss.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    punishing charge need:
    1) +100% damage +100% threat
    2) sure deflect in animation
    3) breifly slow targets on destination(small version of not-so-fast) or knock down afflicted targets
    4) if target picked, stop at the target
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    need CC immunity when active (like dodge :D).
    Improve Instigator!
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪