test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to fix this game

overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
These steps would cure almost everything:

1. Parties of up to 10
2. Many many more classes
3. More mobs
4. More DD loot
5. More cc abilities
6. Instakill abilities
7. Streamlined currency
8. Bug/exploit fixes

Why these steps would solve so many problems is because in a large party, class roles tend to be redundant- you have more than one player in the group who can adequately perform a specific role. For example- a really tanky fighter with fair dps is the primary tank while the high dps tank with fair tanking ability backs the primary tank and/or supplants the primary dps player as needed. You lose either that primary dps player or that really tanky fighter, and the "off-tank" can fill in either role. The run will take longer but will still get done.

When you have multiple classes that can fill the same role, you have people who want to play those different classes. So groups would fill faster, even if they were not a full ten players and even if the group was not the optimal mix of classes.

The idea is not to make the runs easier with a full/maxed out party, but for them to simply take less time to form and complete. So if the party loses a player or two, or if a player or two ends up being incompetent or otherwise suboptimal, the run just takes a little longer.

Instakill abilities are thrown in there to increase the above. Lacking heavy dps or cc, instakill is absolutely necessary to keep the party from being overrun by mobs. By "instakill classes" think 3e Pale Master or Necro-Cleric/Ploder.

To top it all off, the hardest of the hard areas could indeed require a full 10 players, optimized party. Which in turn would give a big incentive for people to form and join guilds: You join up and help speed up runs to the end game, those really tough areas. Then you are really needed and need others.

Just some ideas.
Post edited by overdriver13 on

Comments

• Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ummm... the game isn't broken. Maybe you mean improve?
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    start over from ground up would be the best way to fix it. Maybe a different developer
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

It is currently broken. The AoE of last bosses in CN and MC is completely random and can 1 shot whole party if they aren't careful. You are required to dodge the AoE of those bosses even if you are out of their range.

Also Unstoppable and Stealth meter sometimes bugs out that you can't use them, until you are dead or respawned.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately nw is startingto look like another one and done game- level to endgame as quickly as possible, complete end game then move on to anther game. Starting new toons here seems more about farming for a main toon than it does about enjoying starting a new class and so on. To me that is "broke", but the term "improve" works just as well.
  • Options
    tharsoniusvbtharsoniusvb Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2013
    1. Hmm, maybe a good idea but as it is now, it's hard enough to get a group of 5 together. I am not sure what exactly this would improve.

2. More classes would be nice. Whether it should be "many, many" or a few, i'm not sure. Better take baby steps but try to balance them decently. I'd rather have one or two new classes that work and are fun then a buttload of broken ...it.

3. More mobs? Do you mean the quantity? Or the variety? I think the amount of meaningless mobs in dungeons is already pretty high. More variety sounds good enough but i don't see a need.

4. I disagree. The amount of loot folks got from dd chests before the last patch was terrible. I am not sure whether the new bop system is the way to go (though i think it will turn out to be quite good) but loot in the open market needed to be reduced desperately. Endgame gear should not be available for next to nothing because the market is flooded with it.

5. Why not but i can't see this as an improvement that is desperately needed. There are plenty of cc abilities but i am all for more abilities in general.

6. ??????

7. ??????

8. Yes, the number one issue that needs to be adressed. Get this game to work. Get the classes to work. Get the dungeons to work. I guess a system that could not be exploited would have also solved many economical problems. But anyway, a game that works would be lovely.
  • Options
    zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately nw is startingto look like another one and done game- level to endgame as quickly as possible, complete end game then move on to anther game. Starting new toons here seems more about farming for a main toon than it does about enjoying starting a new class and so on. To me that is "broke", but the term "improve" works just as well.

+1, great post!
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    5. More cc abilities
    6. Instakill abilities
    You mean pve or pvp? Because the last thing we need are more stuns and 1 hit kill skills, rogues are bad enough already.:(
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Moar dots .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    1. Hmm, maybe a good idea but as it is now, it's hard enough to get a group of 5 together. I am not sure what exactly this would improve.

2. More classes would be nice. Whether it should be "many, many" or a few, i'm not sure. Better take baby steps but try to balance them decently. I'd rather have one or two new classes that work and are fun then a buttload of broken ...it.

All of the points go together, but especially these two. I think a game should have double the number of classes as it has group-slots. So if it is a max of 5 slots, you want 10 classes with a good amount of overlap in roles. The more classes, the more people will play those classes, the more likely you are to have enough for a group at any given time. The same rule goes for number of characters needed to complete an average run. If it is 5, then there should be ten slots.
    3. More mobs? Do you mean the quantity? Or the variety? I think the amount of meaningless mobs in dungeons is already pretty high. More variety sounds good enough but i don't see a need.

This would be a balance to 5 and 6. Currently, there is too much trash mob for 5 party groups with extremely limited crowd control. Increasing trash mobs in response to increased cc and the addition of instakill abilities would put more of the focus on player skill and less on having a full group or other factors which should matter less than they currently do. In other words, I am saying the players need a major power boost and that there should be a minor environmental powerboost in response. To me that would balance things out.
    4. I disagree. The amount of loot folks got from dd chests before the last patch was terrible. I am not sure whether the new bop system is the way to go (though i think it will turn out to be quite good) but loot in the open market needed to be reduced desperately. Endgame gear should not be available for next to nothing because the market is flooded with it.

I'll cede this point to you, you are probably right.
    5. Why not but i can't see this as an improvement that is desperately needed. There are plenty of cc abilities but i am all for more abilities in general.

6. ??????

7. ??????

8. Yes, the number one issue that needs to be adressed. Get this game to work. Get the classes to work. Get the dungeons to work. I guess a system that could not be exploited would have also solved many economical problems. But anyway, a game that works would be lovely.

See above. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You mean pve or pvp? Because the last thing we need are more stuns and 1 hit kill skills, rogues are bad enough already.:(

My idea might be starting to sound more like dnd 3e than dnd4e, but here goes: More cc and instakill applies to mainly pve. I say mainly because "immunity to death magic" probably should be a fairly common attribute (from gear or feats) at a certain level. Higher level characters would have it, higher level bosses and mini bosses would have it, trash would not. For a player, trying to decide between the "death magic immunity"feat/gear and another feat/gear would at least make for more challenging gear/character build decisions. And ya, perhaps instead of massive aoe boss megadamage "oneshots" in pve, that could be massive boss aoe death magic effect.
  • Options
    entrepostoentreposto Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's been done. To death.

Neverwinter is interesting not for replicating all the other MMOs. It's interesting for the things it does differently. The only valid point in the OP's list is #8. Bugs.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    entreposto wrote: »
    It's been done. To death.

Neverwinter is interesting not for replicating all the other MMOs. It's interesting for the things it does differently. The only valid point in the OP's list is #8. Bugs.

How does Neverwinter not replicate all the other MMOs, what does it do differently? There seem to be a few key things that people enjoy about MMO's and NW only does about 2 of them extremely well. One of them (combat) better tha any game I have played yet.

It is wayyy too minimalist to me and in that sense is too much LIKE other mmos.
  • Options
    whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    For me this game is broken because the quest path and levelling of your adventuring carreer has no purpose at all because you are lvl 60 within a week or less. So there is basically just a small time sink to be lvl 60. The quests on the way are nothing more but slashing through trash mobs. There is no need to buy stuff for lvl 40 or whatever because you level so fast, you can just equip the stuff that drops.

The real problem starts at lvl 60 when you basically can just "level" by increasing your gear. And here the money factor comes very strongly in too play. Also I have seen now that it is almost impossible to queue for the high end dungeon as a lvl 60. The GS will lead to the fact, that you most likely wipe very soon. Also if you want to join a team in the looking for group chat they most likely won't invite you unless you have a GS of 11-13k or just kick you when you aren't that good. I have a very hard time to find a group for Malabog for example. Some guild guys have their groups, other than that if you don't have the GS you are out anyway (I am at 10.5), also they of course want "experienced" players and for newer players it is really a pain to join a group that basically runs through a map and you can't even follow so fast and don't really know what to do because you want to check the map first. You are quite lost once turning 60 in this game and the gear grinding part and getting high enchantments is just plain annoying because there is no more storyline to follow, no interesting quests, just grinding.

Example: The new fey quests - those are just dump time sink quests! It is merely a lockout timer for zones. Killing mobs again and again to gather crystals and caps every day is very bad game design. Where are the interesting progessing quests? Like quests that stick togehter. Something like: First you need to hunt some mobs to free a guy. Second step, he tells you to gather some materials to build a powerful item. Third step you need to gather a party to kill a big boss for the first drop. Fourth step, you need to travel somewhere to find another drop. Fifth step you need to kill another boss for third drop. Sixth step you need to be a crafter of any profession (other than leadership) at at least lvl 5 to fuse the 3 items with a special receipe to an off-hand icon. Seventh step with that item equipped you need to gather a party and kill a boss that only can be harmed once you carry this item... and so forth. THAT would be a progressing storyline! And not: Kill trash mobs 9 days in a row so you can click 9 times on a campaign step to finish it!

Also the party size of 5 is too low, as stated this gives not much variaty in playing your character. As a DC for example in a dungeon you don't have much choices anyway if you are the only one.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    First you need to hunt some mobs to free a guy. Second step, he tells you to gather some materials to build a powerful item. Third step you need to gather a party to kill a big boss for the first drop. Fourth step, you need to travel somewhere to find another drop. Fifth step you need to kill another boss for third drop. Sixth step you need to be a crafter of any profession (other than leadership) at at least lvl 5 to fuse the 3 items with a special receipe to an off-hand icon. Seventh step with that item equipped you need to gather a party and kill a boss that only can be harmed once you carry this item... and so forth. THAT would be a progressing storyline!

Yeah, that's nothing all that new either, is it? It wouldn't hurt to have some things like that added to the mix though. Maybe they'll put something similar into one of the areas after this one.
  • Options
    koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The devs need to quit working on PvE. If they'd just hand over all the assets in the game to the Foundry authors, and continuously provide more goodies for them, then the authors could produce an infinite amount of PvE content, freeing up the devs to work on what matters. New classes. Also, if we only release one class at a time, everyone will be playing the same class all the time in this game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    For me this game is broken because the quest path and levelling of your adventuring carreer has no purpose at all because you are lvl 60 within a week or less. So there is basically just a small time sink to be lvl 60. The quests on the way are nothing more but slashing through trash mobs. There is no need to buy stuff for lvl 40 or whatever because you level so fast, you can just equip the stuff that drops.

The real problem starts at lvl 60 when you basically can just "level" by increasing your gear. And here the money factor comes very strongly in too play. Also I have seen now that it is almost impossible to queue for the high end dungeon as a lvl 60. The GS will lead to the fact, that you most likely wipe very soon. Also if you want to join a team in the looking for group chat they most likely won't invite you unless you have a GS of 11-13k or just kick you when you aren't that good. I have a very hard time to find a group for Malabog for example. Some guild guys have their groups, other than that if you don't have the GS you are out anyway (I am at 10.5), also they of course want "experienced" players and for newer players it is really a pain to join a group that basically runs through a map and you can't even follow so fast and don't really know what to do because you want to check the map first. You are quite lost once turning 60 in this game and the gear grinding part and getting high enchantments is just plain annoying because there is no more storyline to follow, no interesting quests, just grinding.

Example: The new fey quests - those are just dump time sink quests! It is merely a lockout timer for zones. Killing mobs again and again to gather crystals and caps every day is very bad game design. Where are the interesting progessing quests? Like quests that stick togehter. Something like: First you need to hunt some mobs to free a guy. Second step, he tells you to gather some materials to build a powerful item. Third step you need to gather a party to kill a big boss for the first drop. Fourth step, you need to travel somewhere to find another drop. Fifth step you need to kill another boss for third drop. Sixth step you need to be a crafter of any profession (other than leadership) at at least lvl 5 to fuse the 3 items with a special receipe to an off-hand icon. Seventh step with that item equipped you need to gather a party and kill a boss that only can be harmed once you carry this item... and so forth. THAT would be a progressing storyline! And not: Kill trash mobs 9 days in a row so you can click 9 times on a campaign step to finish it!

Also the party size of 5 is too low, as stated this gives not much variaty in playing your character. As a DC for example in a dungeon you don't have much choices anyway if you are the only one.

Great post, and the questing could be added as an additional point. A simple progressive series of quests could simply be that your character is tagged when finishing quest "1", and would require that tag to progress to quest 2, and so on. It does not have to be THAT linear, but you see what I mean.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The devs need to quit working on PvE. If they'd just hand over all the assets in the game to the Foundry authors, and continuously provide more goodies for them, then the authors could produce an infinite amount of PvE content, freeing up the devs to work on what matters. New classes. Also, if we only release one class at a time, everyone will be playing the same class all the time in this game.

IMO effective management means efficient delegation of work; players could pump out pve content via the foundry and devs would just quality check the better foundry content before releasing it as official nw content.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    How to fix this game ....

apparently they thought leprechauns were the answer.....