test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Crafted Weapons embarassing (Castle Malabog)

archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in PvE Discussion
Consider what it takes to make them:

1) Level 20 in Artificing or Weaponsmithing

2) 4 blue crafting items (like files for artificing). That's 800k in AD

3) 3 dropped items from Malabog. All BOE, all can be Needed by anyone.
1.5 mil-2mil AD in cost at the minimum

Consider #3 is a small drop chance, and than you have to win roll.

This is all for a SMALL upgrade in stats over the CN weapons. As an example,
a CW gains the following with the new set: +18 damage, +37 power, +8 recovery.

Don't you think with the time and AD cost to attain these weapons, that they would
be much more epic in stats? Literally those stats will make no difference, and the looks
of the item is that appealing either.

Is this the solution to keep people interested? Making it a massive grind for low gain?

The only other thing I can think of, is it makes getting end game weapons harder for
new players to get, as opposed to what it took older players to get out of Castle Never
when that was "end game." New players wont know the difference, but people who have
been around in the game will think "why bother for such a small upgrade."
Post edited by archomental on

Comments

• Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Uhmm what kind of gain do you expect from the best weapons of the game? when you're at BiS any kind of improvement is exponientally expensive... switching for lvl 8 enchant (+220) to a lvl 9 (+265) cost about 2,5 million ad, and you improve 35 in one stat, then, to improve to lvl 10 max, costs 8m at least and you win 35 more! + 18 base damage is a lot, im sure TR /GWF/GF ones wont have that amount, but still, if you have the ancient set and you think is not worth it to improve... let me tell you a secret PSSSt... you don't need to!!!
  • Options
    archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    That is a fair point, and Ill give you that. However, the motive of any
    game is to keep people playing/grinding. I 100% like the way they designed
    the new castle. Its fun, short, and has different boss mechanics. With that said,
    you would think there would be more motive.

Look at any other game, and the effort, mats and cost that goes into the new
    set would be considered Legendary. The situation is even worse for new players
    ever since they made epics BOP, and thus removing a major source of AD for players
    playing dungeons (and saving up the bank roll for end game gear).

Ah well, at the very least I give them thumbs up on a shorter and more interesting
    dungeon.
  • Options
    k4pnkrunchk4pnkrunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I saw someone on the forums make a metaphor today about how being the best in this game is like being a professional athlete. When you look at it that way it's easy to see why these new weapons are so coveted. Professional athletes push their bodies to extremes and spend money on ridiculous little things, just for the chance to gain a slight edge on their competition. Sure, the improvement isn't game changing, but it's a DEFINITIVE upgrade, a guaranteed edge. Still, they can be beaten by players with enough skill to compensate, but it is rewarding, and goal-setting for players who seek improvement.
    Harlequinn - Lvl 60 Trickster Rogue
    [EX]Officer - Order of the Raven
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Those weapons are much better then the other "lewt" weapons released in this patch which are a measly 3 pts higher in a few areas and usually remove any type of set bonus on the existing "best set" but I agree it's pretty **** marginal for the effort
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Just for the curiosity fact: There is nothing like a commision crafting system one could know from EQ2 where another crafter with the appropriate level crafts you the item without the need to give him your assets and without the item going into his bag? How can you craft those weapons when you don't be the crafter yourself and don't want to hand over items to someone that might just run away with it?
  • Options
    tranglectranglec Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Stats and Gear Score can be very deceptive in some cases anyway.
    The best example is a Stealth build TR. A fully specialized TR of that kind can stay invisible indefinitely during a fight and thus kill even hard bosses all on his own. He will need some time for that because putting all your eggs in the Stealth basket means giving up a lot of DPS and other stats and thus such TR end up having a way lower GS than the average DPS focused TR build.
  • Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Uhmm what kind of gain do you expect from the best weapons of the game? when you're at BiS any kind of improvement is exponientally expensive... switching for lvl 8 enchant (+220) to a lvl 9 (+265) cost about 2,5 million ad, and you improve 35 in one stat, then, to improve to lvl 10 max, costs 8m at least and you win 35 more! + 18 base damage is a lot, im sure TR /GWF/GF ones wont have that amount, but still, if you have the ancient set and you think is not worth it to improve... let me tell you a secret PSSSt... you don't need to!!!

And the worst part is that once you get your stats past the soft caps, you get less return on each point of gear score. If you already have BiS, then I can promise you upgrading your enchants is going to make hardly any difference. It's just a pride thing, I think. Except for epic enchants, those are actually pretty good.

This is of course assuming you have a stone. You can use that in PvP, so maybe for PvP having Rank 10 enchants is an edge. I have looked into how well you can hit soft caps without a stone.
  • Options
    thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And the worst part is that once you get your stats past the soft caps, you get less return on each point of gear score. If you already have BiS, then I can promise you upgrading your enchants is going to make hardly any difference. It's just a pride thing, I think. Except for epic enchants, those are actually pretty good.

You're actually missing the point. The reason to upgrade is not (usually) to push way beyond a stat's soft cap, but to enable you to have more stats at their cap.
  • Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Level 20 Weapon Smithing - 3Million AD
    3 Fragments off AH - 2.5 Million AD
    4 Blue Crafting Assets - 1 Million AD

To be the 1st on server to with new shinny "Priceless"!

For everything else there is Master Card.

Currently Rank 19 will be 20 by tomorrow ;)
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, the good news:

1. The bonus from the new weapon set is minimal.
    2. The Ancient set is very easy to get.
    3. There will always be a better weapon. No doubt in 4-5 months something else may be released and it's going to trump the current BiS.
    4. It is more economical to perhaps upgrade your enchants. Right now I'm all Rank 6 and 7. Getting Rank 8's is not too difficult and much more cost effective.
    5. Don't disregard future discounts. The cat, for instance, is a bit cheaper now than it was. Once people run MC to death, prices will drop.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    wondraswondras Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The point of so complicated way obtaining it is:
    they realized you can actually get best gear in the game without spending a single euro(CN set).
    and with release of new content they made the fix - it is no longer possible. For best the weapon somebody MUST pay real money now, only way of geting assests is from boxes and those are opened with real money keys. Either you or somebody else must pay real money to create such weapon, clever trick.
    (+they can control number of weapons / euro payed simply lowering droprates of assets)

So its not about upgrades or increasing difficulty but marketing :)
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's typical of the Law of Diminishing return...

Personally, I feel there is no return on investment for anything above Rank 7 except maybe a few Dark Enchantments to put Rank 8 in these stupid utility slots (and get +movement).

Anything else, slot'able items and a stone will give you a much better return on your AD investment, especially now that getting AD is nerf'ed...

For level60 chars with top line equipement (I got 3 different fully enchanted armor sets), there is not point in playing this game anymore... until they revert back some of their stupid BoP policy (or make a few exceptions like more recent Malabog's Castle drops), AND they readjust the blue crappy item drop to give more epic purple drops... there is nothing to do for me in NWO...

And NO I haven't exploited the game at all to get there in the first place...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think it's one of the most discouraging things Cryptic could have done to the player base. It really is like they're trying to lose their customers.

Considering MC and CN are still bugged (just tried MC again), I guess I'm only logging for crafting, PVP dailies and Sharandar.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    thorizden wrote: »
    You're actually missing the point. The reason to upgrade is not (usually) to push way beyond a stat's soft cap, but to enable you to have more stats at their cap.

He is probably meaning after he already has stats to soft caps.
  • Options
    bubba1966bubba1966 Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    Personally, I feel there is no return on investment for anything above Rank 7 ...

Your critical strike is low. Shoot for 2000.
    Your armor pen is sub-par. Aim for 2535.
  • Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013
    main hand has a chance to drop at 2nd boss
    2nd boss dropped main hand gwf weapon , 1st boss im still not sure if it also drops mainhand
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    trollgre wrote: »
    main hand has a chance to drop at 2nd boss
    2nd boss dropped main hand gwf weapon , 1st boss im still not sure if it also drops mainhand

Yes, the T1 version of the mainhand. To get the T2, you need to craft it.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited September 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Level 20 Weapon Smithing - 3Million AD
    3 Fragments off AH - 2.5 Million AD
    4 Blue Crafting Assets - 1 Million AD

To be the 1st on server to with new shinny "Priceless"!

For everything else there is Master Card.

Currently Rank 19 will be 20 by tomorrow ;)

..Basicly thats all yea

GL and post picture for the others to see lol
  • Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013
    Yes, the T1 version of the mainhand. To get the T2, you need to craft it.

does t1 has set bonus?
    bec the main hand that it drops has 450 crit on its 2set effect
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    One problem is they released some very powerful weapons, and made them easy to get right from the beginning. Items should have been BoP from the start. They left themselves no room to go up without starting to get into ridiculous stats on the weapons. If the CN weapons had been more modestly powered, then the Malabog weapons could have had 50/75 point increases, plus that still would have left room for future expansions to have even better weapons. Right now they are sort of stuck due to short sightedness.

A good progression would have been
    Dread Vault: +2 gear/weapons with only 1 stat
    Castle Never: +3 gear/weapons with only 1 stat (rare with 2)
    Malabog Castle: +4 gear/weapons with 2 stats
    Next expansion: +5 gear/weapons with 2 stats (rare with 3)
    After that the expansions could have gear/weapons sets that span multiple expansions in order to get into the Legendary (Artifact/Relic) status.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]