test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LOL no wonder DC class sucks in this game

tigerspawn1tigerspawn1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited September 2013 in The Temple
The character class is slow, not resistant to cc, heal themselves less than everyone else, most of the powers and feats dont work like they should. Now my divinity gets stuck and wont switch off. A beam comes out even when I have no divinity. When divinity is active and I have no divinity I cant attack and it makes me move in slow motion. Trying to find guide for best build for DC. No onecan agree on what is best build. If yougo toany other pc class people agree on builds. Why is it so hard for theDC community to agree on a build. K
Post edited by tigerspawn1 on

Comments

• Options
    mozzballmozzball Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You sound like one of the many casuals that I am currently plagued with ingame.

DC is my first and foremost favourite class.

DC is still extremely effective in PVE situations in spite of any recent update.
  • Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can you describe this "getting stuck in divinity" thing a bit more?
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Gotta love these, "hand me everything in a silver platter" threads. Here's a novel concept for ya. Try playing the class and coming up with the build that best suits your playstyle. This game is fun. I don't understand people which are dead set against having any fun in this game.
    10PM CST

• Options
    debbieharrydebbieharry Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013

He hasnt realised yet that he isnt turning it off in time. Or is trying to do it while moving.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    deaththroe wrote: »
    Gotta love these, "hand me everything in a silver platter" threads. Here's a novel concept for ya. Try playing the class and coming up with the build that best suits your playstyle. This game is fun. I don't understand people which are dead set against having any fun in this game.

I agree. My first character back in Closed beta 1 was a DC and still is. Of course the OP does not specify WHERE the DC is in such a sad state (PvP, Group-PvE or Solo-PvE) - so it's subjective.

My only, singular gripe with the game is the balance between player and (Solo PvE) Bosses. Some of them are easy to conquer, others feel nicely balanced and yet others are ridiculously overpowered (a boss fight should NOT take 20 freakin' minutes to finish in a solo quest). But to be fair to the Devs: Neverwinter is only 6 months old. It took STO two years to really get the balance thing down pat. And the third year was all focussed on content. So, as they say, patience is a virtue.
  • Options
    tigerspawn1tigerspawn1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I rarely play my DC any more. I loved playing DC for the challenge. No during gaming when I switch to divinity it doesnt switch off. Plus it will send a beam out and wont stop even when I have no divinity. It doesnt matter how far the other character gets from me we are connected by a beam of light. Then when character dies and respawns divinity auto engages and wont turn off until I die. Disconnecting is only thing that stops it. I have been avoiding using divity because it has been happening every time I use it while playing with others. I have informed customer service and they have not responded.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I recently started playing a DC moonelf with the 10% cc and the 1% sta boost and 1% ap boost after hitting cap with a rogue I also have a pretty high CW.

I felt like a firkin diety, I was so well trained at being a glass cannon and dodging everything when you apply a similar tactic to a cleric they feel kinda invulnerable, Most of their damage and heals is over time so I could move around much more than my CW
    and im kinda used to not having much of any non potion healing so I kept waiting for my hp to go down. even with the decrease in healing it was still much more than I was used to getting when soloing as a rogue.

for the OP divinity is typically a toggle you have to hit it again to turn off. its possible you might have sticky keys on this is a windows based feature that will act as if your holding tab/alt/ctrl/shift down, also ctrl is a character lock on so if that is also being sticky you have the character locked onto someone and that might be another reason who it is having issues turning off, My suggestion is try remapping the channel divinity and lock on keys to something that is not a key typically used for key combos, I have my divinity remapped to + and have no issues.
  • Options
    alagos77alagos77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited August 2013
    He hasnt realised yet that he isnt turning it off in time. Or is trying to do it while moving.

Sometimes the divinity behaves strange though. I don't know if it's the EU ping but when I try to activate divinity after casting sunburst it sometimes just chokes. The game ignores the sunburst and just turns on divinity a second or so later. It's quite annoying when that happens a few times in a row because you just stand there like an idiot toggling divinity on and off without doing what you actually wanted to do: cast a sunburst and procc divinity feats.
  • Options
    evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Why is it so hard for theDC community to agree on a build. K

Because there aren't any "best" builds to speak of, thanks to the broken feats and recently nerfed powers.
  • Options
    dnosrcdnosrc Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a bug when you want to quick switch out of divinity and then use the left-click at will. Sometimes if it gets the other way around to the server you begin using punishing light, then switch out of divinity BUT punishing light stays active and drains your divinity bar. The only way to cancel punishing light then is to use an Encounter Power/Daily.
  • Options
    akomplishedakomplished Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The hilarious part is even when you run out of divine it will continue to cast well after you're divine has run out. Could start a mean game of jump rope when it happens...
  • Options
    entrepostoentreposto Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Try playing the class and coming up with the build that best suits your play-style.

I'd like to agree with this statement, but there are clearly build and power selections that are MUCH better. So much better in fact that content goes from being difficult if not impossible to being quite doable if not easy.

There is a guide floating about in this forum, but I can't recall where.
  • Options
    whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I rarely play my DC any more. I loved playing DC for the challenge. No during gaming when I switch to divinity it doesnt switch off. Plus it will send a beam out and wont stop even when I have no divinity. It doesnt matter how far the other character gets from me we are connected by a beam of light. Then when character dies and respawns divinity auto engages and wont turn off until I die. Disconnecting is only thing that stops it. I have been avoiding using divity because it has been happening every time I use it while playing with others. I have informed customer service and they have not responded.
    dnosrc wrote: »
    There is a bug when you want to quick switch out of divinity and then use the left-click at will. Sometimes if it gets the other way around to the server you begin using punishing light, then switch out of divinity BUT punishing light stays active and drains your divinity bar. The only way to cancel punishing light then is to use an Encounter Power/Daily.

This has happened to be before. You slow-walk and sometimes have a beam firing off into the wild blue yonder. Using an encounter will break it. Though I've also have it happen that my At-wills get stuck firing. So whatever target I face, they start firing and if they've been toggled on.

It may be a keybinding issue, since they are designed to be flexible and allow both both press-and-hold as well as tap-on-tap-off. You could trying doing /unbind_all to reset all your keybindings to the default. It's also possibly a latency issue. Going in and out of Divinity is delayed sometimes. As far as I know, there is no way to specifically tell it to go on or off, all you can do it switch it to the other state. I've found it's usually very responsive to toggle on if it's off. And you can usually immediately turn it off right after turning it on. But it seems like there's a short delay or cooldown before you can toggle it back on again. I really wish there were a way to only be in divinity when you HOLD Tab, but so far I haven't found a way to do this. And because of the unpredictable delays, you can't really use external keybinding software to do it either.

For me, it's a big problem when I drop a yellow Astral Shield when I meant to drop a blue one. I want to blame it on lag and glitchy tab-toggle, but I guess it's possible that I pressed the keys in the wrong order.

I actually thing the unresponsive nature of tab-toggle for Channel Divinity is the real reason why they didn't go forward with the changed the tried on Preview that canceled your activation if you hit Tab. (So you couldn't proc Linked Spirit from Sunburst). Either that or they thought giving us the ability to cancel an activation without dodging was too powerful.
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "Working as intended" ;)
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Theory crafting your own build to fit your playstyle and the playstyle of your group is where it's at:

Take for instance, someone who PUGs PVE a lot.. Well that person is probably gonna be using a faithful spec (middle feat tree) to squeeze out every bit of healing they can

Take another person who groups with same ppl everytime, that person could prob get by using a different trait line because they'd be overhealing big time had they went in faithful.

DC is a good class, and at 60 with a full miracle healer set and the right stats, can faceroll just about all the content in the game, except for PVP.

And you could take that concept even further, and say that in each dungeon or event, depending on the situation, you will be swapping out different skills etc...Take Astral shield for instance,, you would think its best for that to never come off your bar right? wrong.. Some of the boss fights require kiting, and no one needs stationary healing, so astral shield is useless in certain fights.

I would try everything on ur way to 60 and theory craft your own build... By the time someone comes out with a guide, a month later, the class will have been tweaked by the devs and that build will have been toasted anyway.
    End Rant
  • Options
    coarsedragoncoarsedragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Happened to me a time or two. You are stuck with you Icon in the air and looking as if you are using divinity with no way to exit that condition. I have to exit out to solve that. Pretty rare but it has happened.
  • Options
    hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I too am getting stuck in Divinity.

What happened previously is I could for example burn through my Divinity with Punishing Light and when the last drop was spent I would automatically revert to non-Divine mode. I still needed to press the left mouse button again to initiate the At-will but the the shift from Divine to non was automatic.

Since the latest patch which changed the amount of Divinity spent for both Punishing and Soothing Lights' when my Divinity bar runs out there is always just enough left over in the bottom of the barrel so that I have Divinity but nothing to cast with it and as such I don't revert to non-Divine mode and therefore must do it manually.

It was my initial suspicion that this was yet another intentional and secretive nerf to the DC.

I can understand the thinking behind it, they wanted a mechanic which forces DC's to toggle Divine mode on and off however I am not 100% convinced that this isn't just yet another bug.
  • Options
    morepowerrmorepowerr Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Don't you mean speed 30-40 buck on repec until you find something that works just to have it broken in the next patch. Because that is how cleric here seems to work.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    morepowerr wrote: »
    Don't you mean speed 30-40 buck on repec until you find something that works just to have it broken in the next patch. Because that is how cleric here seems to work.

I don't see why you need the "perfect" spec. I am fully specced for pvp, all survivability heroic and righteousness paragon feats. I am also in full blue regen gear (as I recently hit 60) and I have no problem what so ever healing a T2. Did karru, spider, and FH just fine, and 2 of those were with the q system and we had more than just me undergeared.

I find DC to be quite fun actually, I thought he would be boring from my questing experience but healing a dungeon is so much more relaxed than playing my CW heh.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    besides the "beam" thing which I think is just a matter of you not turning it off I can only agree on it. regarding pvp the dc is inbalanced but i rather think that the other classes are too good for pvp. they were build as pve classes and here it comes handy to stun, kick, knock-down a mob permanently. in pvp this makes no sense. as a dc i often die without the slightest chance to react because i am not able to use any abilitiy because i am perma-cced. such things have no place in a pvp environment. also no place have crits of over 20k that can one-shot a dc and not only once every 10 minutes or so, no regularly.

if you have a pve game that also has pvp elements you have to adapt abilities to the new environment and build new features. like cc-immunities, lower damage for certain abilities or even a different abilities once you do pvp. example: an ability can do damage and cc someone. in pvp you could change it to only do damage or to cc but only every 20s.

the dc has the problem that his damage is low anyway so he does not benefit from too high pve-values while any other classes do. but agreed on the fact that a dc hardly has any cc himself, can't really dodge and while others have lots if immunities coming from their abilities the dc has nothing. lets say typical players (no the maxed out ones) have around 22-25k hitpoints. that would reflect in pve some kind of trash mob and how fast a tr or cw can kill those we all know.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    yokihiro wrote: »
    besides the "beam" thing which I think is just a matter of you not turning it off I can only agree on it. regarding pvp the dc is inbalanced but i rather think that the other classes are too good for pvp. they were build as pve classes and here it comes handy to stun, kick, knock-down a mob permanently. in pvp this makes no sense. as a dc i often die without the slightest chance to react because i am not able to use any abilitiy because i am perma-cced. such things have no place in a pvp environment. also no place have crits of over 20k that can one-shot a dc and not only once every 10 minutes or so, no regularly.

if you have a pve game that also has pvp elements you have to adapt abilities to the new environment and build new features. like cc-immunities, lower damage for certain abilities or even a different abilities once you do pvp. example: an ability can do damage and cc someone. in pvp you could change it to only do damage or to cc but only every 20s.

Whenever people get chain CC'd they just throw their hands up and say well all CC OP cause I couldn't do anything. Did you ever think, what if you put down an AS in preparation? What if you dodged the first 2 CC's? What if you build more survivability? Yes with 2 GF's they can juggle you until dead but thats after their initial prone. If you dodge the first two and are in the AS when they first hit you you can easily survive the other prone's with decent survivability.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Lotta 'ifs' there, sport.

Sure you could spend your entire time waiting for the perfect moment to dodge+dodge+AS=ZOMG WATCH ME TANK, MOM, but realistically you're not going to be much use to your team, then. Plus CC from CWs isn't...quite so easy to dodge (and is certainly less telegraphed), and they only need to hit you once to immobilise you long enough for the GF paintrain to arrive.

We can certainly be incredibly tanky if we're sitting in AS with HG/DA down and we're being attacked by someone with a divine forgemasters on them, but that assumes we've had time to do any of those things (and have those skills, and have the AP): some sort of actual CC resist would be amazing.

Until then, full regen blues it is....
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    Lotta 'ifs' there, sport.

Sure you could spend your entire time waiting for the perfect moment to dodge+dodge+AS=ZOMG WATCH ME TANK, MOM, but realistically you're not going to be much use to your team, then. Plus CC from CWs isn't...quite so easy to dodge (and is certainly less telegraphed), and they only need to hit you once to immobilise you long enough for the GF paintrain to arrive.

We can certainly be incredibly tanky if we're sitting in AS with HG/DA down and we're being attacked by someone with a divine forgemasters on them, but that assumes we've had time to do any of those things (and have those skills, and have the AP): some sort of actual CC resist would be amazing.

Until then, full regen blues it is....

With Healing step I can dodge almost constantly, with sovereign justice, holy resolve, and feated foresight I am very rarely killed before I'm able to move. If you have a teammate with you, and as a cleric you always should, they are going to be trying to stop the enemy from CC'ing you by killing/CC'ing him. I have played a ton of PvP already on my fresh 60's cleric and I do extremely well with <10k AD worth of gear, (9.2k GS) once I finish my T2 I will do much better.

Whole point is either you're specced for PvP or you aren't, and if you aren't you can't say DC are weak in PvP b/c you shouldn't have to optimize your build for it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you have a teammate with you, and as a cleric you always should

I'm sure playing with people who actually support you is a whole different experience, yes. Not quite sure "high dependency on another entire person" is a good argument for DCs being strong in PvP, though.

Also, while I can see that speccing hugely into PvP-specific stuff is going to be an advantage, it shouldn't be obligatory: all the other classes can do just fine in PvP with PvE-centric feats, so your last sentence doesn't really make any sense. You shouldn't have to optimise your build for it. That's the whole issue. You should be ABLE to, certainly, but speccing into all the feats that make you marginally less instant-ganking material is very, very focussed, and of limited utility outside PvP. Hell, if they allowed dual speccing (or just free respecs, fffffs), I'd be entirely fine with this. It'd also give us a chance to try crazy builds. As it stands, though, the general set of options are either "spec heavily into PvP feats but be gimped in PvE" or "spec for PvE but be horribly gimped in PvP, unless you wear a crapton of 'X of youth' armour."

Given I spend more time dragging pugs through T2s than I do PvP, I went for the latter approach, and yes, it's tons, tons better in PvP than wearing T2, but it's still a silly state of affairs. I do vastly better in PvP with a gearscore of 8k than I do with 11k.

So there's that. But hey, as long as you're having fun.

Out of curiosity, how much does sovereign justice actually heal for? It's yet another one of crytics terribly uninformative tooltips.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I'm sure playing with people who actually support you is a whole different experience, yes. Not quite sure "high dependency on another entire person" is a good argument for DCs being strong in PvP, though.

Also, while I can see that speccing hugely into PvP-specific stuff is going to be an advantage, it shouldn't be obligatory: all the other classes can do just fine in PvP with PvE-centric feats, so your last sentence doesn't really make any sense. You shouldn't have to optimise your build for it. That's the whole issue. You should be ABLE to, certainly, but speccing into all the feats that make you marginally less instant-ganking material is very, very focussed, and of limited utility outside PvP. Hell, if they allowed dual speccing (or just free respecs, fffffs), I'd be entirely fine with this. It'd also give us a chance to try crazy builds. As it stands, though, the general set of options are either "spec heavily into PvP feats but be gimped in PvE" or "spec for PvE but be horribly gimped in PvP, unless you wear a crapton of 'X of youth' armour."

Given I spend more time dragging pugs through T2s than I do PvP, I went for the latter approach, and yes, it's tons, tons better in PvP than wearing T2, but it's still a silly state of affairs. I do vastly better in PvP with a gearscore of 8k than I do with 11k.

So there's that. But hey, as long as you're having fun.

Out of curiosity, how much does sovereign justice actually heal for? It's yet another one of crytics terribly uninformative tooltips.

Come on now, of course a support class is going to perform 100% better with someone else around to support. As much as some would like it to be DC is not a ranged nuker, I mean it can be but CW is going to do more damage with better CC.

Every class is much better with a full PvP spec/build. I respecced for PvP on my CW, and I swap out gear when I PvP. I am 100% PvP spec and gear on GWF, as he is useless in PvE =P. My GF has at least 3 feats that I would otherwise not have (prone duration) and my DPS gear would be garbage in PvE. My TR would do 100% better with a different weapon enchant and executioner spec for PvE, but again I only play the TR in PvP.

Heh I pretty much only do PvE on my CW as his spec and his GPF is still quite good in PvE, but he is the only one that is optimized in PvP but still very viable PvE. Well and my DC when I can get a group with 9.2k GS lol.

I'm not sure how much sovereign justice heals TBH, I will parse it today and let you know. I do notice having 100% stamina regen very often, and I can dodge almost infinitely lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I imagine we get crit often enough to keep healing step up pretty much on cooldown. :eek:

As to the rest of your post:

GWFs are...well, let's be honest: useless in PvE no matter what feats you try. Well, not useless, but 'of less utility than any other class'. PvP monsters, of course.

GFs can be better in PvP with lots of +prone duration feats, sure, but the key point is they have a ton of prones in the first place. They can chain em together for lolstomp pronelock without the feats, the feats just allow them to be sloppier.

CWs...eh, I can't actually comment on these. I don't have one so I don't feel placed to judge.

TRs...hm. TRs are more or less the only class that doesn't suffer from a loss of utility between PvE and PvP: they're single-target spike damage killers, and that's what they do. This is perfect for PvP, since spike damage is king there. In PvE this isn't massively useful ANYWAY, since most of PvE is 'tons of adds ffs', but there's a reason why the usual boss strategy is "TR solo boss, everyone else on adds": they're single target murder machines, which fits the PvP mold very well.
    Compare this with GFs, who have a ton of aggro grabbing skills which are largely useless in PvP (marking is still marginally useful, admittedly), CWs, who have a ton of mass-monster controlling skills which are largely useless in PvP (and very few opportunities to punt dudes off ledges), and finally DCs, who have a skillset based around dealing with constant, fairly low-level damage. We don't really have spike heals: it's mitigation and HoTs all the way. The answer to spike damage in PvE is "stop standing in red, nubcake", but of course in PvP...well, it's more or less "imagine everything is red". Spike spike spike all the way.

Which makes things difficult, hence the regen.

Anyway, point is, I don't know of any other class that is constantly regarded as worm food in PvP: if speccing exclusively into PvP feats was obligatory for all classes, you'd hear a lot more complaints from the CWs/GFs/TRs than you do. But you don't. They either complain about sentinel GWFs or each other, not about being gimped by a PvE-centric build.