test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizards of the Coast, Dungeon and Dragons. Question.

whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was wondering if someone had some inside about this. Dungeon and Dragons is a product of Wizards of the Coast. Does Cryptic own the rights to D&D now or just leasing it to make the game? If Wizards doesn't like the product that was made by Cryptic or run by PW, could they pull D&D rights from them?
Post edited by whoregut on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Everything in the game has to be approved by Wizards of the Coast.

If WotC don't like a piece of content they will send it back to the drawing board. And they have the final say.

Andy Valasquez, Lead Producer, once stated that one of the key issues Wizards was particularly keen on was making sure the martial abilities appeared martial and not magical. I believe this was discussed during the second NOCS.

EDIT - Cryptic has weekly conference calls with Wizards of the Coast every Tuesday (If memory serves). They work together very closely together on all phases of development.
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wizards of the Coast continues to own the D&D brand, but they have given Cryptic a pretty big license to produce this game using their intellectual assets. I don't know the details of the contract itself, but generally, there are conditions that would allow the owner (WotC) to pull the license, but those conditions (if they exist) are usually very extreme. The more likely scenario, if WotC is dissatisfied, would be that they simply would not award further licenses to PWE/Cryptic, especially after the current one expires (likely several years from now).

Obviously, I don't know the actual details involved, but this is the most common situation as I've observed in general with these sorts of things.

I can say that it is very likely that the... liberties that Cryptic has taken with D&D lore (and there have been quite a few) are not enough to get the license revoked. it's entirely possible that even the game just plain failing would not get the license revoked, but that would probably be at least part of the formula for such a thing.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Andy Valasquez, Lead Producer, once stated that one of the key issues Wizards was particularly keen on was making sure the martial abilities appeared martial and not magical. I believe this was discussed during the second NOCS.

So for example, a rogue (being a martial class) shouldn't have an ability that makes daggers magically appear out of the ground near him...
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    So for example, a rogue (being a martial class) shouldn't have an ability that makes daggers magically appear out of the ground near him...

I agree with this one. All the other TR encounters and dailies can have some logical, martial explanation, because the TR is resembles a typical ninja in a lot of ways, but this encounter I've got nothing lol. It just doesn't make sense and seems a little too magical for the rouge.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • dddeemmdddeemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    Everything in the game has to be approved by Wizards of the Coast.

If WotC don't like a piece of content they will send it back to the drawing board. And they have the final say.

EDIT - Cryptic has weekly conference calls with Wizards of the Coast every Tuesday (If memory serves). They work together very closely together on all phases of development.

Wait so why does the Guardian Fighter gets bigger in one of his dailies and several powers of the Great Weapon Fighter have magic-like sfx
  • whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This might be fun to look into.
  • kancilkingkancilking Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1 : What's up with the npc mob drows? They're huge by D&D standards. Same height as my human and they seems so muscular lol.
    2 : Is there such thing as a dual wielding dagger/sword mind flayer in D&D world?

Thanks
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Think of it as a trap set by the rogue and sprung by the foe....then it makes sense :rolleyes:
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Drow are 5'4" to 6'
    Humans are 5'6 to 6'2"

Drow are no longer much shorter than humans. They simply have different body structures.

As for the mindflayers, it's not against the lore. I agree there should be a more wizard focus but there's no ruling that mindflayers must be wizards.
    edited August 2013
    dddeemm wrote: »
    Wait so why does the Guardian Fighter gets bigger in one of his dailies and several powers of the Great Weapon Fighter have magic-like sfx

It's intimidating. He 'appears' to get bigger and stronger. It's a perception. A sisual trick just like how your parents used to look bigger when they were angry and you used to feel smaller.

Fear is a fickle friend.
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'm still wondering about the rogue teleportation thing, myself. I can understand that the stealth is not literal invisibility, but the TR ability to teleport to people, friend or foe, seems rather magical to me. I like the ability, and I most certainly make use of it, but it has always struck me as incongruous with a supposedly nonmagical class.
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'm still wondering about the rogue teleportation thing, myself. I can understand that the stealth is not literal invisibility, but the TR ability to teleport to people, friend or foe, seems rather magical to me. I like the ability, and I most certainly make use of it, but it has always struck me as incongruous with a supposedly nonmagical class.
    They 'appear' to teleport, it's a perception, a visual trick. Totally non-magical!

/or not.
  • evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

It is magical, just as enhanced speed while in stealth. If someone is sneaking you'd expect them to move slower. In before "derp it's a game deal with it" - I will, if my class will gain certain "magical non-magical" abilities as well.
  • aerisodaerisod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is magical, just as enhanced speed while in stealth. If someone is sneaking you'd expect them to move slower. In before "derp it's a game deal with it" - I will, if my class will gain certain "magical non-magical" abilities as well.

Nonononononono their speed isn't really enhanced while in stealth. They only appear to move faster. It's a perception, a visual trick just like how your parents used to appear to move faster when they were hiding from you.
  • bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    aerisod wrote: »
    ... just like how your parents used to appear to move faster when they were hiding from you.

I gotta say this made me chuckle.
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A thrue melee class would be rather be dull, I think. You have a swing and a stabb. A shield wearer can use his shield of course. A non magical ranged class, the ranger, can ... shoot of course. Yet I really don't like it when a ranged/non ranged fighter class can do all kinds of fancy stuff, so it becomes a sort of magic class.

That growing big thing I don't like either. I like to play the small races, dwarves and halflings, because they are short, so don't make them tall. Don't change my character.

As a matter of fact the whole magic/non magic thing is a bit silly. Take the GWF. You can swing your big sword arround, you can hit or miss, but neverr hit your buddy. There is no friendly fire. This make all combat magic.