test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reward players who finish PVP, punish those who don't

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
It's not exactly rocket science. When the one side start's losing, all it takes is a single person to leave. The entire team is doomed. It's because you're not exactly giving them a big reason to stay with you're measly reward for losing side.

If a person stay's and half his team quits early on. He should be rewarded. If a person leaves five minutes into the game. He should be stopped from joining other one, or least if he does join another. It should take him right back to the one he quit.

By not rewarding players who stick it out, you're giving them no reason at all to stay. By not punishing those who leave early, you're not giving them any reason for them to stay. Perhaps when you have time away from making zen store companions, you could create a system that works for everyone.

Thanks.
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    It's not exactly rocket science. When the one side start's losing, all it takes is a single person to leave. The entire team is doomed. It's because you're not exactly giving them a big reason to stay with you're measly reward for losing side.

If a person stay's and half his team quits early on. He should be rewarded. If a person leaves five minutes into the game. He should be stopped from joining other one, or least if he does join another. It should take him right back to the one he quit.

By not rewarding players who stick it out, you're giving them no reason at all to stay. By not punishing those who leave early, you're not giving them any reason for them to stay. Perhaps when you have time away from making zen store companions, you could create a system that works for everyone.

Thanks.

I totally agree. One of the reasons they haven't done it though could be that many in the community disagree with you and think it is great that you can just leave your whole party in the lurch on a whim with absolutely no consequence.
  • Options
    errantvolleyerrantvolley Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know it is frustrating. When a match is sort of close I get so in to it. Winning those matches, especially from behind, are my favorite parts of Neverwinter. This is why I PvP 4 hours a day.

Being realistic, though, I recognize the queues are slowing already. Punishments will make even less folks queue at all. Is it really fair to punish folks? While the close fight quitter happens I think the vast majority happens in a blowout or because one player on your team D/C, quite possibly due to situations beyond their control, and very few folks are willing to try 4v5 out of the gate.

I don't blame anyone for leaving a blowout. I often leave these fights when I'm winning. Why? I queue to PvP not to spawn camp. Once glory became meaningless I usually sit at 25k. Winning the chart is fun for ego but with the rain of Blue drops in Fey even that is less exciting than it once was.

We don't need punishments to force folks to stay through a matches conclusion. We need incentives to make it more worth their while to complete than to jump ship. Give buffs to the weaker team. Have random purples drop mid match. I want every match to be close. That is where the fun is.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Not even exaggerating in the slightest I'd say 80-90% of games have a leaver within the first minute. "My team isn't winning by a landslide" /leave. It's so irritating, there needs to be something in place to stop leaving. IMO it needs to be something a bit severe as leaving is so rampant right now.

Maybe if you leave a pvp match it resets your daily, so you can not only not complete it that day but you have to wait say 6-12 hours to pick it up again. Leavers and spawn sitters don't deserve the daily AD anyway if they aren't going to actually participate. I think that would stop a lot of the leaving, Auto drops your quest and won't allow you to pick up a new one for 12 hours, as I think the vast majority of the leavers are just in the match for the daily AD anyway. Maybe even 0 honor for that same timeframe, that way anyone that doesn't want to pvp is given no incentive whatsoever to pvp unless they stay in every match.

That is completely fair IMO. If you come up against a premade then boo hoo you will only get 1 toward the daily and some honor, at least you won't have wasted your and their time.

Edit: Also this system would not punish anyone unjustly as the new system allows you to reconnect if you dc. No honor and no daily for the rest of that day, that would make anyone that wants rewards pvp, should also be easy to implement.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    alassaelalassael Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Let me get this right. You want to punish players who aren't willing to be rofl-stomped by premades, over-geared P2W players, or who find themselves stuck with a bunch of idiots who go AFK, lower level green gear, or simple suck beyond belief?

I'm all for finding a solution, but I don't think punishing players at this moment is the right way to go about it.

1. There needs to be a ranking system so you play equally skilled players
    2. Separation from pug vs. premade (being in a pug with several people who don't speak your language makes it hard to be competitive vs. a premade)
    3. Better rewards for losing a match (sufficient to excuse being stuck in a losing match)
    4. A system that tries to "balance" the odds so-to-speak. Maybe if a player is d/c'd, the other team gets a debuff (or the side with the d/c gets a buff).

Also the system does not always let you reconnect. I discovered this last night. I died in a PvP domination match, lost connection, reconnected and found myself with a wound and no longer in the match (but still grouped up). Seconds later it ungrouped me automatically. We were just barely starting the match as well, so it wasn't over by any stretch.
    Tip of the Day: The forums are not for guides or tips or learning how to play. They are here for people to whine until something gets nerfed or buffed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    alassael wrote: »
    Let me get this right. You want to punish players who aren't willing to be rofl-stomped by premades, over-geared P2W players, or who find themselves stuck with a bunch of idiots who go AFK, lower level green gear, or simple suck beyond belief?

I'm all for finding a solution, but I don't think punishing players at this moment is the right way to go about it.

1. There needs to be a ranking system so you play equally skilled players
    2. Separation from pug vs. premade (being in a pug with several people who don't speak your language makes it hard to be competitive vs. a premade)
    3. Better rewards for losing a match (sufficient to excuse being stuck in a losing match)
    4. A system that tries to "balance" the odds so-to-speak. Maybe if a player is d/c'd, the other team gets a debuff (or the side with the d/c gets a buff).

Also the system does not always let you reconnect. I discovered this last night. I died in a PvP domination match, lost connection, reconnected and found myself with a wound and no longer in the match (but still grouped up). Seconds later it ungrouped me automatically. We were just barely starting the match as well, so it wasn't over by any stretch.

I am also very in favor of a ranking system before leaving penalties are enabled. But to answer your question Yes I want to punish players who aren't willing to participate in pvp and waste 20 minutes of everyone's time. If you want to leave and not play then fine, you don't get your daily though. Lol and why should you get "honor" if you instantly leave a match b/c you don't like the parameters, aka the opposite of an honorable opponent... If you want to play against the premade, maybe ask for 1v1's, and try to better yourself in pvp then you deserve full honor and daily rough AD rewards.

Why do you think your time is more valuable than 5 other people just b/c those 5 people q'd together? I was in a pug vs a premade just yesterday and was able to kill 4/5 of them 1v1, it was quite fun even though they won 1000/50.
  • Options
    wilswilswilswils Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know it is frustrating. When a match is sort of close I get so in to it. Winning those matches, especially from behind, are my favorite parts of Neverwinter. This is why I PvP 4 hours a day.

Being realistic, though, I recognize the queues are slowing already. Punishments will make even less folks queue at all. Is it really fair to punish folks? While the close fight quitter happens I think the vast majority happens in a blowout or because one player on your team D/C, quite possibly due to situations beyond their control, and very few folks are willing to try 4v5 out of the gate.

I don't blame anyone for leaving a blowout. I often leave these fights when I'm winning. Why? I queue to PvP not to spawn camp. Once glory became meaningless I usually sit at 25k. Winning the chart is fun for ego but with the rain of Blue drops in Fey even that is less exciting than it once was.

We don't need punishments to force folks to stay through a matches conclusion. We need incentives to make it more worth their while to complete than to jump ship. Give buffs to the weaker team. Have random purples drop mid match. I want every match to be close. That is where the fun is.

^this guy.
    Nuff said, give him a protitle ingame that says "wiseman"
    He deserved it.
    Lord Killington, enough said.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll tell you what gets me to leave as a CW with 9400 GS, I know it's not much but I'm newish and I don't P2W:

- I go to cap a point, I barely reach it and the 2-3 other guys that went for the middle all die suddenly in like 2-3 secs.
    - I'm on the losing team and I have to deal with GWF, GF and DCs that when I go 1 vs 1 against them, I barely make a dent in their HP. It's like I just dps a dummy with infinite HP. Sometimes it takes 3 people to kill a single one of these guys. No thank you.
    - I face a team where all have plaguefires and soulforges and one-shot my team and if in trouble they're saved by their enchants
    - my team loses badly from the first minute, without capping anything and just being busy getting annihilated
    - people in my team leave
    - people in my team AFK/camp the fire

I stay and play if:
    - I get one-shotted by rogues
    - I get chained CC by GFs I made the mistake of letting too close, or I have to deal with GFs that take a minute to kill (but they are in the range of possible)
    - there are very hard to kill GFWs in the other team
    - my team loses but the match is close

Not worth staying just to lose, I have better uses for my time.

Now, if I were to be punished for leaving, I'd still leave. I'll just do a dungeon or daily stuff until the timer on the debuff expires. Or, if some ultranasty penalty would be applied, I'll just leave my char at the fire and go eat or drink or work.

The idea is, I'm not gonna stay and be the fun time of some ultrageared team. They should be matched against ultrageared teams.

PS: also with the changes to glory, there's basically no point for me to play PvP outside the daily. If there was a ladder or something that means true competition, with nice and serious rewards (not random blues), then I would make a team and try my best. But for now, the PvP is useless besides the AD that it can generate.
  • Options
    blindsyn1blindsyn1 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    untill people realizes that queueing for a pvp match doesnt garantee you will win 100% of time, they will continue to quit...

i read here always the same excuses : " because they are a premade, because they have higher gs, they are p2win players etc.."...
    no Bots excuse this time guys??? im shocked!
    how about a new concept? the concept of LEARN TO PLAY AND NOT BE an *******? also too much for most right? you will quit too...

In 3 days of constant pvp i have 90% of matches where 1 or 2 players leaves when if we lose the FIRST mid fight....
    others leave 2 minutes in, with the game tied... every single match....
    its not fun..... not even when im on the winning side and we just run around because other team left in the first 2 minutes or they just stand there afk on camp site...

One guy here is talking about the queues being longer....
    yeah i agree , they are getting longer.... and by NOT punishing players that leave,the queue WILL get even longer, because people are just not queueing for pvp anymore...its simply NOT FUN to play when 2 minutes in a match you lose half your team because you lost one fight.... no1 likes to play 2 or 3 vs 5 from the first or second minute because guys that dont know how to play are leaving the match because the team cant carry them...
    and no1 likes to stand there in a pvp match where the oposing team leaves or are afk...
    blaming cryptic is easy, but maybe most of you should look in a mirror and think that probably its YOUR fault that the pvp sucks...
    queueing for a pvp match does not mean you will always win....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wilswils wrote: »
    ^this guy.
    Nuff said, give him a protitle ingame that says "wiseman"
    He deserved it.

Except now with the changes it's very viable to meet refine caps on 4+ 60's every day just from pvp and leadership/prayer (I do). Glory is turned into salvageable gear.
    pers3phone wrote: »
    Not worth staying just to lose, I have better uses for my time.

Now, if I were to be punished for leaving, I'd still leave. I'll just do a dungeon or daily stuff until the timer on the debuff expires. Or, if some ultranasty penalty would be applied, I'll just leave my char at the fire and go eat or drink or work.

The idea is, I'm not gonna stay and be the fun time of some ultrageared team. They should be matched against ultrageared teams.

PS: also with the changes to glory, there's basically no point for me to play PvP outside the daily. If there was a ladder or something that means true competition, with nice and serious rewards (not random blues), then I would make a team and try my best. But for now, the PvP is useless besides the AD that it can generate.

Which is why a plan like mine that made it so if you leave it would take away all the incentive for people like you (only there for the AD don't care about competing with other players, especially good ones) and you wouldn't join in the first place and we'd have less leavers. You leave and ruin 5 other people's pvp, you get 0 honor for the rest of the day and your daily is revoked for that day, sounds more than fair to me.
    blindsyn1 wrote: »
    untill people realizes that queueing for a pvp match doesnt garantee you will win 100% of time, they will continue to quit...

Yes. I cannot stand people with the mentality "Oh we're losing by 20 points 1 minute into the game... not worth my time" and then leave. If you take away all PvP rewards for that day when someone leaves pvp it will cut leaving by 90% IMO. If nothing else it will make that particular person leave only once per day as once he's left there's no other reason to q, since these fools that leave are only there for AD anyway and don't care about good fun pvp.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    macjae wrote: »
    This is true. But then you also want to force people to waste their time. It's at least as much of a waste of time to have to sit through a game you're sure to either lose or win, for some meaningless glory reward.

You could also frame this in a different way: Do bad players deserve to be punished by being abandoned? I mean, if three out of five players on my team decide it's a great idea to cap the home point at the start and leave the middle to the enemy, giving the enemy the advantage for free, they deserve to be punished for it, no? After all, they ruin the game and waste people's time by being either bad, selfish (thinking they'll maximize their own capping points that way), or both.

A feature punishing people for leaving would be nice, but it would have to come after a feature that punishes poor teamwork, bad manners and stupid play.

A ranking system would be nice. Some feature removing or reducing the impact of gear would also be nice, but much less likely.

Yes I agree that a ranking system is very needed, but everyone acts like if you're getting beaten you get no reward. You still get honor which = salvageable gear for rough AD, and you still get the match counted toward your daily. As I said I reach refine caps on 4 60's from pvp and leadership alone, pvp is a very viable way to make money, and as such those that ruin all the fun in it need to have their money from pvp taken away simple as that.

PvP is quite fun to some people (I love it) and I'm very glad that we can now make decent AD without running dungeons if we don't want to. But for those that ruin all the fun of pvp, they don't deserve any glory or daily AD. I stay vs. 5 premade EVERY time even if I'm the last one. I get my rewards and I get some good 1v1's in, I don't hate on them just b/c they q'd together, thats dumb.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    Which is why a plan like mine that made it so if you leave it would take away all the incentive for people like you (only there for the AD don't care about competing with other players, especially good ones) and you wouldn't join in the first place and we'd have less leavers. You leave and ruin 5 other people's pvp, you get 0 honor for the rest of the day and your daily is revoked for that day, sounds more than fair to me.
    Yes. I cannot stand people with the mentality "Oh we're losing by 20 points 1 minute into the game... not worth my time" and then leave. If you take away all PvP rewards for that day when someone leaves pvp it will cut leaving by 90% IMO. If nothing else it will make that particular person leave only once per day as once he's left there's no other reason to q, since these fools that leave are only there for AD anyway and don't care about good fun pvp.

You think I'd care? I can fill that AD refining cap in 10 minutes from playing the AH. I still prefer PvP and other daily stuff because they're more fun. But if they seize to be fun, I'll leave for something better.

Your "solution" would only manage to make the pool of PvPers really, REALLY small. A true solution would be the implementation of matchmaking for GS or even better for team arena rank, with the proper ladder system and rewards for those that perform well. I said it before, I'm saying it again, the PvP in NW is just some skirmishing. There's nothing serious in it. Hence, the people accord it a very small amount of deference.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    pers3phone wrote: »
    You think I'd care? I can fill that AD refining cap in 10 minutes from playing the AH. I still prefer PvP and other daily stuff because they're more fun. But if they seize to be fun, I'll leave for something better.

Your "solution" would only manage to make the pool of PvPers really, REALLY small. A true solution would be the implementation of matchmaking for GS or even better for team arena rank, with the proper ladder system and rewards for those that perform well. I said it before, I'm saying it again, the PvP in NW is just some skirmishing. There's nothing serious in it. Hence, the people accord it a very small amount of deference.

So you would seriously continue q'ing with no possible rewards for the entire day and then leaving just to ruin others pvp experience? Wow maybe your right... perhaps we need even stricter penalties, like debuffs that effect pve as well. If I have to wait 5 minutes for a game, but I am 90% sure that game will be an actual 5v5 that I enjoy I would gladly wait the 5 minutes over instant q. Right now I get nearly instant q but then have to sit and wait 10-15 minutes until the game is over b/c one team completely leaves. I enjoy PvP and would rather waste 5 minutes to have a good game than to waste 15 minutes being bored just for my rewards.

Maybe my before mentioned penalties + a 50% reduction to combat effectiveness PvE included for 30 minutes, maybe that will stop leavers...

And by the way you obviously don't speak for everyone, as I do PvP 95% of my play time, and all of my characters are geared/specced for pvp.
  • Options
    mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    There is a difference between winning and losing. When you are level 60 and you have a group that is power gaming, you get a score of 1000 to 13 then I understand why people leave. After the first five minutes it becomes silly. I make it a point of staying, but it is laughable-- you take 25K hits from TRs, and are unable to damage GFs with their blocking, or are constantly stunned.

The results are often bizarre. You win every match, then you lose completely. When your team seriously outmatches the other players, you take all three towers by about five minutes into the game and the other players can't really do much of anything at all. This is more elimination than PVP. The level of play is very uneven.

On the other hand when you are evenly matched, and there is still fighting, then there really is no reason to leave.

There should be more than two arenas that allow for different play style. I rather like Gauntlygrim because it is played differently.

I also think that people sometimes leave to throw the game. There are instances where all four other players leave the arena.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    So you would seriously continue q'ing with no possible rewards for the entire day and then leaving just to ruin others pvp experience? Wow maybe your right... perhaps we need even stricter penalties, like debuffs that effect pve as well. If I have to wait 5 minutes for a game, but I am 90% sure that game will be an actual 5v5 that I enjoy I would gladly wait the 5 minutes over instant q. Right now I get nearly instant q but then have to sit and wait 10-15 minutes until the game is over b/c one team completely leaves. I enjoy PvP and would rather waste 5 minutes to have a good game than to waste 15 minutes being bored just for my rewards.

Maybe my before mentioned penalties + a 50% reduction to combat effectiveness PvE included for 30 minutes, maybe that will stop leavers...

And by the way you obviously don't speak for everyone, as I do PvP 95% of my play time, and all of my characters are geared/specced for pvp.

You seriously twist what I have said. I don't want to ruin ANYBODY's experience. I want people to have lots of fun. It's a game after all.

Also I never said I speak for everyone... I think you got a little heated in the moment. It's the Internet, all filled with personal opinion.

Make the matchmaking system, and mostly all will be fine.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Allow for me to queue into already existing games. You quit, I'll join. Seems like a working system in other games.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters