test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, EXP penalties.

thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
One of the main reasons I quit this game was because of foundry EXP caps. I had a lot of fun training up on mobs and learning to fight them on the "kill" quests, but unfortunately, that time ended. I heard of "changes" to the Foundry, and decided to hop back in the game... now it's wildly different, fluctuating as to when I can, and can't, have EXP.

Is this intentional, or a sign that they're finally going to remove the rotten bandaid that they applied to the system with a kneejerk reaction? Because I'm not sticking with this game if I have to level off the Devs content. I'm sorry, but their story, and the questing with it, is some of the most bland, lifeless, tasteless sort of crud I've ever had to go through, and the EXP rate is just mind numbingly slow.

So, any chance of us seeing the removal of this system, and possibly a reward system for doing dailies? That's the only thing that's going to hold my attention at this point. I've leveled 1 character through the entire thing, now I have to do it several more times, have several characters halfway to cap, but... yeah. Can't do it. If I'm going to do something this dull in terms of story, I'd rather be setting up a Barbecue Party (IE, Black Hearts Barbecue Party).
Post edited by thecain on

Comments

• Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecain wrote: »

So, any chance of us seeing the removal of this system, and possibly a reward system for doing dailies? That's the only thing that's going to hold my attention at this point.

This would make the game so much more but it would go against there pay to play approach. So it won't happen ever.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't really get your point. If you're only interested in playing UGC, then it doesn't matter what level your character is.

If, however, you only want to use UGC as a training system to bypass content and get straight to end game, well then you're part of the problem that resulted in exp. caps being introduced.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    I don't really get your point. If you're only interested in playing UGC, then it doesn't matter what level your character is.

If, however, you only want to use UGC as a training system to bypass content and get straight to end game, well then you're part of the problem that resulted in exp. caps being introduced.

I want to use the UGC as a way to quickly kill enemies and do quests and level up faster than the content that they put out, because their content is, for all intents and purposes, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. In fact, one of the big selling points for the game was to allow people to foundry like crazy and do whatever they wanted, so thy could level up, or get rewards for doing Foundry Missions.

Of those two things, I have seen not only rewards nerfed, but the EXP nerfed as well. Think of it like this. Playing Foundry content is like getting a hamburger. It's not the greatest slab of beef in the world, but **** is it tasty. Doing the content that the devs slapped together to meet a time quota is like being forced to vomit, then being told all there is to eat is my own vomit, and I better like it because it's the only thing on the menu, unless I want to nibble on the foundry every so often.

Kind of like how I quit Killing Floor until all the levels in the game were white listed.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In fact, one of the big selling points for the game was to allow people to foundry like crazy and do whatever they wanted

No it wasn't. Your friends may have marketed it like such, but Cryptic didn't.

I'm sorry to say, but Neverwinter isn't a game for you from how you describe your expectations, in much the same way Call of Duty isn't for me. You want a certain kind of gameplay experience that Neverwinter doesn't provide and will not provide in the future, so you might as well stop spending energy on it when you could probably find more enjoyment with other games.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    No it wasn't. Your friends may have marketed it like such, but Cryptic didn't.

I'm sorry to say, but Neverwinter isn't a game for you from how you describe your expectations, in much the same way Call of Duty isn't for me. You want a certain kind of gameplay experience that Neverwinter doesn't provide and will not provide in the future, so you might as well stop spending energy on it when you could probably find more enjoyment with other games.

"Once a level is published, it must be peer-moderated by five community volunteers. After they've signed off, it's released to the rest of the player base who can review the level after playing it, ensuring that good levels get promoted, and bad levels get buried. Cryptic, too, can highlight its favorite levels on the game's landing page, which loads every time the player enters the game. They can even apply temporary bonuses to that quest's XP and loot to drive players to the game's UGC components. There are other ways to find quests, too, like searching a nearby job board, or picking up intel from one of the many, many Harper Agents placed throughout the city's bars and taverns."

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/8/18/3251244/neverwinter-foundry-lets-you-build-anything-from-pvp-to-text
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What on Earth does that snippet have to do with what we're talking about?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The increased EXP and Rewards is meant to show that they were tooting the Foundry as a great place for getting EXP and gear...
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Nowhere in there does it say "you can do whatever you want".
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Uh, no. You're drawing the entirely wrong conclusions from that piece of text. It means exactly what it says: Cryptic can add incentives to quests they like (except they don't). That doesn't mean it's a great place for getting XP and gear.

Now go away! Please! You already pointed out that the game doesn't work how you want it to, and Cryptic has made it clear they won't make it into what you want it to be. What are you trying to accomplish? The only thing you'll find here is unfriendly faces. As I said, your energy is better spent elsewhere, somewhere where you can actually be constructive.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I want to use the UGC as a way to quickly kill enemies and do quests and level up faster than the content that they put out, because their content is, for all intents and purposes, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. In fact, one of the big selling points for the game was to allow people to foundry like crazy and do whatever they wanted, so thy could level up, or get rewards for doing Foundry Missions.

Have you ever heard "It's the journey, not the destination?"

WHY do you want to "quickly kill enemies" and "level up faster?" Do you have some "need" to get to level 60 faster than everyone else? Is there some "fat loot" waiting for you to get to be "first on the server" to obtain? I imagine your idea of the perfect foundry quests are/were the killing pits where the mobs can't fight back and you just mow through them gaining XP and loot drops as fast as possible. Story, scenery, lore are all worthless to you. You sound exactly like one of those l33t dewds!

I wish they would just implement a "make me 60th level" button that would give all the dewds an "end-game" starting point (on another server just for l33ts).
  • Options
    tserantseran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    They can even apply temporary bonuses to that quest's XP and loot to drive players to the game's UGC components.http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/8/18/3251244/neverwinter-foundry-lets-you-build-anything-from-pvp-to-text

Not really sure that polygon.com article is any sort of official notice on it :p
    And it sounds more like the supposed EXP and loot would be more a way for Cryptic to say "how can we get players to see this awesome UGC" so they stick a carrot over there... cause lots of players see "carrot" and get excited, but don't appreciate good UGC...
    c447.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »

WHY do you want to "quickly kill enemies" and "level up faster?" Do you have some "need" to get to level 60 faster than everyone else? Is there some "fat loot" waiting for you to get to be "first on the server" to obtain? I imagine your idea of the perfect foundry quests are/were the killing pits where the mobs can't fight back and you just mow through them gaining XP and loot drops as fast as possible. Story, scenery, lore are all worthless to you. You sound exactly like one of those l33t dewds!

I wish they would just implement a "make me 60th level" button that would give all the dewds an "end-game" starting point (on another server just for l33ts).

What's wrong with not wanting to play the pve content? I'd be up for exactly what you said, I could pvp at high level, work on my foundry quests and not have to go through what is a load of tomtit quests. You can't just say well this game is not for you then. I like the combat, I would go so far as to say it's the strongest feature in this game. (as the foundry is on off all the time)
    Be honest though are the rewards as good for pvp and foundry as they are pve content? why is that?
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    What's wrong with not wanting to play the pve content? I'd be up for exactly what you said, I could pvp at high level, work on my foundry quests and not have to go through what is a load of tomtit quests.

LOL. True. How about a "Make me an l33t dewd" button, and a few more "I'm a seasoned veteran... start me at 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th level" buttons? I'd definitely be happy with that. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    LOL. True. How about a "Make me an l33t dewd" button, and a few more "I'm a seasoned veteran... start me at 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th level" buttons? I'd definitely be happy with that. ;)

I'd rather just have it so you can level and get equal rewards for doing what you want to do. In my case foundry quests and pvp.

I'm not sure I see the problem with levelling though. I would go so far as to say I have never played a game so easy to level as this. I went from 42-47 in less than a week doing only two foundry quests, professions and preying. The rewards were pants though.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The purpose of Foundry is to expand the range of content, and to give people some fun creative ability to tell stories to one another.
    The purpose of Foundry is absolutely NOT to provide a 'fast track' of XP/loot. If that's what you want... go do skirmishes or something.

While Foundry rewards could be a little better, their design is absolutely not supposed to be competitive with regular content.

You ARE free to do many different things, however. You can totally just do Foundry. It'll be slower and less rewarding in loot, but it'll be (IMO) lots more fun (assuming you can dig through the farm missions to find anything worth playing).
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I want to use the UGC as a way to quickly kill enemies and do quests and level up faster than the content that they put out, because their content is, for all intents and purposes, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I honestly cant understand this mindset. The story missions are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. But killing the same 50 mobs over and over and over again in a farm style UGC is quality entertainment?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You know, there's this great game, Progressquest, that is just PERFECT for people who don't want to experience the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of 'story' and 'reading text.'

I suggest the OP and others like him to go try it!

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh yeah, Progress Quest. That's a classic. I think my character had a playtime of several months, yet I didn't lose any more time to the game than I felt it deserved. :P
  • Options
    ephirollephiroll Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    I would go so far as to say I have never played a game so easy to level as this.

This is a very good point that everyone wanting to 'level up quicker' doesn't seem to realize. I've played this less than a month and will have my character maxed at the one month point give or take a day without even trying. Without the creative avenue of the Foundry to tell certain stories that can only be told in that fashion or to explore different and unusual quests, an experienced gamer has a very short half life on this game due to the ease of play.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't mind it, if the exp rate was lowered by -75% or more. Leveling up is way too easy in this game already. It should take more than a day to reach max lvl.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Normally I disagree with complaints about fast leveling, because I like the freedom to not have to play a LOT.

But dang. The zones are wildly different and interesting, but it's like a small town -- drive through, and it just flashes by. I don't seem to have time to really settle in before it's over.

• Options
    aovgeneralaovgeneral Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with the original post. The games ok but I want to be given the chance at making something epic with awesome character building rewards. I like some of the story line stuff but some of it is like going to a dentist and having your molars drilled out. Every now and then I want some smash and crash, and I think this game could be awesome and have both worlds.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You can "smash and crash". You just can't expect to be showered in rewards for it.
  • Options
    aovgeneralaovgeneral Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's a **** Shame.
  • Options
    ephirollephiroll Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't mind it, if the exp rate was lowered by -75% or more. Leveling up is way too easy in this game already. It should take more than a day to reach max lvl.

A month. But I think it could be done in a week if someone really wanted and stuck to quests and skirmishes. I'll try it if I ever start a second character.

I'd like to see one server where the leveling difficultly is increased like this so the players not so familiar with RPGs can still play the easier game and the rest of us can have more of a challenge. For instance, I leveled up so quick I always found better stuff then I could buy with the bounties and had no reason to go after them in any zone. I'm also not modifying equipment or spending anything on it because I'm finding new equipment so fast I don't keep anything for more than a day or two of play.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

WHY do you want to "quickly kill enemies" and "level up faster?" Do you have some "need" to get to level 60 faster than everyone else? Is there some "fat loot" waiting for you to get to be "first on the server" to obtain?.

1: I have a Level 60 character already. The content just isn't that fun in between, as it's the same bland run over here and kill these 3 mobs, or collect these items off dead mobs, or kill this boss quest. I'd be different if there were several different modes where you could level up, but you can't. I'd rather just cut out the frelling middle man and start smashing through large groups of powerful enemies, since that's what the GWF is supposed to do.

2: I have fun killing quickly and burning through mobs. I like the fighting mechanics of the game, just not the slow as hell RPG aspect. Ever since I quit this game, I've given $80 to Marvel Heroes, $80 that probably could have been Cryptic's if they had made a decent game. I've also been bouncing between Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, and Diablo 3, with some RIFTing just to get some RPGing. It'd be different if the game was solo, but it isn't. Everyone's at end game getting good gear and making their characters look awesome.

3: Why the hell does my style of fun hurt you at all? I like to do big bosses and end-game. There are no epic raids or big battles or really fun things to do until cap, and that's because all the dungeons in between don't have gear that'll last you very long.

4: I'd have had a Level 60 Drow GWF at the start, but they kinda screwed that up by holding them back for 4 months since Open Beta/Soft Launch.
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    <snip>
    3: Why the hell does my style of fun hurt you at all? I like to do big bosses and end-game. There are no epic raids or big battles or really fun things to do until cap, and that's because all the dungeons in between don't have gear that'll last you very long.
    <snip>

Here is one way your style can "hurt" other players. If they make it too easy to get to max level then those who want to go slow have a hard time going slow. Not everyone want to speed through the game to get to max level. The way it is now, in order to allow you to rush to level cap, they have to speed it up for everyone.
    Ever think that the gear doesn't last long because you out level it too fast?

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    zhroomsterzhroomster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Bunch of whiners want to be showered in Hi lvl rewards for taking the easy road. I you had to start with 1st ed. D&D you never would have got thru rolling up a character. What you need is to find ANY mmo running on a private server where the 1st thing you do after character gen is pick up the gift pack containing free xp to max lvl and tier 1 gear. these <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> farms are common and easy to find, please go find one and let those of us who enjoy actually playing a game (as opposed to hacking down everything in sight and congratulating self for it) get back to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of a game WE LIKE.