test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Quest Destroyed due to Stock Map Changes

maliciousmaxxxmaliciousmaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
So....I went to republish a map today and execute changes regarding portal issues in foundry. Low and Behold instead of adding a new forest type of map, the devs decided it best to go in, add a bunch of thick trees to the "forest looping" stock map and call it a day. Well due to those changes and the inability to "clear" dev placed details, I have trees growing through buildings, NPCs Locked inside of trees, and spawn points trapped inside of roots. I had to move my spawn point to numerous locations in order to spawn in and not have to use /stuck or /killme to even start 3D editing. So, a foundry that literally sucked out hours (over about a month) of editing was destroyed. Why not keep the old map and simply add a new one in? I know this complaint will also be small fry considering big business, and lack of power coming from one player. I sincerely hope that because foundry rewards are weak sauce, and the trend is to make short foundry quests, that these xtra large maps aren't even being used, especially the "Xtra Large Looping Forest" map, because if they are, I know I am not the only one that has suffered this frustration. Good Job!
Post edited by maliciousmaxxx on

Comments

• badbotlimitbadbotlimit Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 175 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    We are aware of the issue with this one map and have a fix for it in the next build.
    I apologize for the inconvenience but we are working to fix the map on our end.

What happened to the map?
    A single change to a single tree caused the forest to grow. The tree in question had some logic in it that would run at runtime to determine the seed of that tree in the map. The change to that tree was a change in that logic. Basically, when the map got created in the build the tree said "so, how close am I allowed to be to other trees like me?" it looked at the logic and determined "oh, bark to bark seems just fine"

The product of this was a map that turned onto an overgrown forest.

We have addressed the issue and have removed the tree and logic that caused the issue. We did need to rebuild the map and used only trees that didn't want to be so social. That fix will be in the next build. Please do not attempt to rebuild your quest or remove any of your work. I respect the time and effort that you put into your quest. Rest assured that all your hard work is not wasted or lost. Your voice is heard loud and clear and the Authors and Community can always reach out to the Foundry team.

When the next patch goes live, please check your quest again and make sure everything looks good. While we worked very hard to rebuild the map exactly as it was, there may be some slight differences in tree placement.

Gang, If I can get your help with spreading the word about the Forest Looping map, it will really help. If you see a post where an author is saying they need to remove or rebuild due to this issue, tell them that a fix is on the way and to wait!

Thank you very much!
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We are aware of the issue with this one map and have a fix for it in the next build.
    I apologize for the inconvenience but we are working to fix the map on our end.

What happened to the map?
    A single change to a single tree caused the forest to grow. The tree in question had some logic in it that would run at runtime to determine the seed of that tree in the map. The change to that tree was a change in that logic. Basically, when the map got created in the build the tree said "so, how close am I allowed to be to other trees like me?" it looked at the logic and determined "oh, bark to bark seems just fine"

The product of this was a map that turned onto an overgrown forest.

We have addressed the issue and have removed the tree and logic that caused the issue. We did need to rebuild the map and used only trees that didn't want to be so social. That fix will be in the next build. Please do not attempt to rebuild your quest or remove any of your work. I respect the time and effort that you put into your quest. Rest assured that all your hard work is not wasted or lost. Your voice is heard loud and clear and the Authors and Community can always reach out to the Foundry team.

When the next patch goes live, please check your quest again and make sure everything looks good. While we worked very hard to rebuild the map exactly as it was, there may be some slight differences in tree placement.

Gang, If I can get your help with spreading the word about the Forest Looping map, it will really help. If you see a post where an author is saying they need to remove or rebuild due to this issue, tell them that a fix is on the way and to wait!

Thank you very much!

It seems the foundry team is very responsive, which is a good thing. Keep up the great work.

• zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeh. Also, that insight to how maps are generated is fascinating!
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • maliciousmaxxxmaliciousmaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I do have to say you have instilled faith. I do appreciate the quick response and explanation. I am grateful for the attention. Thank you.
  • mllebeanmllebean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    Thank you badbotlimit for the substantive reply, it's very much appreciated. Can we get even a rough ETA on the roll out of that fix? I ask because each day this problem persists is a day that the affected quests get no plays, no reviews, and no tags, all during the peak post-update period. If we're talking a matter of weeks rather than hours or days, some people may still want to invest the time to rebuild ahead of the fix.
  • ananvilhurtzananvilhurtz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stuff

Thanks for the update an explanation, I really appreciate it.
    Religion - 60 GF (15.3k GS)
    The Seeker - 60 DC (11.5k GS)
    Faithless - 60 CW (10k GS)
  • jennutjennut Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Foundry is down again this morning. Still logs me out of the game when I try. Still can't find an answer here as to why or for how long.

My quest has never been published, and I'm tired of logging back in.
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennut wrote: »
    Foundry is down again this morning. Still logs me out of the game when I try. Still can't find an answer here as to why or for how long.

My quest has never been published, and I'm tired of logging back in.

Do you mean you never published it, or it hasn't been republished? There are still several quests that haven't shown up on my subscribed tab. As they were republishing quests Thursday and Friday, more quest-breaking bugs were being found. They may have stopped republishing until they get some fixes in. It's frustrating, yes, and they don't always tell us much about what's going on. If you're waiting for republish, check for you quest from the live side. Otherwise, know you're in the same boat as the rest of us. :) Hopefully they get things back to normal soon. (Let's not talk about what's normal though. :p)