test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advice needed: how to simulate crouching/kneeling

ajventerajventer Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
It came to me last night that there is another famous movie about the same topic as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which I parodied in my quest - Monty Cobra and the holy Ale.
That movie is, of course, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Which includes three awesome trap puzzles at the end - I think it would be wonderful to reproduce those puzzles in my quest.

The path of god and name of god puzzles are easy. But the first one... that's a problem - the solution in the movie was to go through on your knees. But there appears to be no crouch or kneel movement in this game. It's easy enough to build a foggy spider-webby tunnel filled with head-height traps, it may even be possible to set them so they can't be triggered if you're low enough - but if the player can't get low enough then there is no way for anybody but a TR to beat the puzzle.
That would be terribly unfair.

I'm stumped for ideas on how to implement this in a solvable, fair way - so I thought I'd ask the more experienced foundry editors if you can make suggestions - how would you implement "only the penitent man shall pass" ?
Post edited by ajventer on

Comments

• Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't fully grasp the issue :P But have your tried making a kneeling animation (or interact low etc) on an interactable item? (or items) Would that work here? I use clicky items to make the player do different animations when they click an item. I am not sure if that would work for you here or not.
  • Options
    ajventerajventer Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Actually - that may be worth a try. The puzzle in the movie is as follows - there is a small narrow passage you have to go through, filled with slicing-blade traps at neck-height, so to go through safely you must kneel and crawl through. The idea when replicating the puzzles is that a similar action would be required - your proposal may just work.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That said, if somebody has a better / more realistic idea, I would love to hear it.
  • Options
    mllebeanmllebean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    I also did a Monty Python parody quest... It's still in the process of being republished but perhaps you'd like to check it out? Arty Boa and the Holy Grail :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Mine is likewise being republished - tell you what, trade you reviews when we're both back ?
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There isn't a crawling or kneeling movement. Unless you just stop and go with an kneeling interact there isn't any other way to create the effect to my knowledge.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    That's what I feared, was just hoping maybe somebody had a clever idea on how one may fake this. It would appear that the only real option is to use an item effect. I think I have an idea to match the concept more than the display. I'll work on the implementation for the next release.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You could perhaps have a slightly elevated pathway that disappears when PC prays at an altar, or answers a certain dialog.
    or maybe replace the elevated path with water, or an illusionary floor.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ajventer, I'd love to trade reviews with you but mine will have to wait - my quest was just published and I saw that it's broken due to the massive tree spawn bug with the patch. I'm hoping they'll fix it soon!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And PS, I eventually had to click republish myself. Whatever automated republish was supposed to happen over the last two days, didn't.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'll try a republish on mine thanks for the heads up. Let me know when yours is fixed, would love to have a look.

Thanks for the tips so far, I'll be working on the new puzzle for a while yet and will leave the penitent man test for last so I can read any updates before I get to it. Would love to do it in the best way I can - the invisible floor or elevated pathway approaches have given me some ideas.

One approach I considered was to place a tunnel-entrance teleport as the test, the quest text would read "Walk through the narrow passage. The other end suspended really high would ensure death if you try to do that. Then place a floor based trigger at the base of it, just visible with a "crawl through the tunnel" interact which would move you safely to the next room (not sure how best to pull that one off - as far as I can see you can only use predefined teleport looks and cannot have a teleport on interact action - but there may be some work-arounds, like actually doing a map-change if you choose crawl since you can map-change from any object, I'll play around with this idea as well - for the moment, this puzzle is still being worked out in my head first.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    "Publish failed: log Project needs republish" ... I'm not finding a republish button anyway.. and it's still showing as Not Published. :S