test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A reason to play GWF?

samuraim0samuraim0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 87
edited August 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Seriously is there any reason any more for people to play as GWF's?
Post edited by samuraim0 on

Comments

• Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    samuraim0 wrote: »
    Seriously is there any reason any more for people to play as GWF's?

You can put on a decent light show with daring shout and some sparkly enchantment on your sword.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have one of each class at 60. My GWF is the easiest to solo, or if I want to play a character where I can just go in and kill stuff.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    mikgamerzmikgamerz Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    Seriously is there any reason any more for you to play?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mikgamerz wrote: »
    Seriously is there any reason any more for you to play?

ikr, is there a reason for me as a GWF to play?
  • Options
    surefirevenomsurefirevenom Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like suicide talk.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ikr, is there a reason for me as a GWF to play?

What type of build do you have?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What type of build do you have?

Destroyer, with 5 points spend on sentinel(unstoppable recovery) and instigator(Student of the sword)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Destroyer, with 5 points spend on sentinel(unstoppable recovery) and instigator(Student of the sword)

Well that is your problem right there. Maybe try building a GWF better first before complaining on the forums ;).

A good start = instigator.
  • Options
    ladywillow15ladywillow15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, myself and a GWF just did a skirmish alone together, and he ROCKED IT. So yeah, perhaps your build is a little wonky?
  • Options
    tranglectranglec Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I got a pretty decent TR. Gear Score 12300, Crit 46%, Power 5000+, Armor Penetration 2200, Damage 9900. And I use the best powers to make as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time and yet, since the update/nerf whenever there is a half way decent GWF in the same party, I always end up second in the "Most Damage Dealt" statistics.

I don't like whining, but at the moment there really isn't an objective reason to still play a TR when a GWF that can take much more punishment also does more damage.
    And you complain about GWF?

Yesterday I saw a GWF take the last 15% of health bar away from the Pirate King alone, after the rest of the party, including me has been wiped. A hundred adds chased him around, he just kited, threw a Unstoppable at the King in passing and kited some more. He could have done the whole fight alone with enough patience and enough health potions.

The GWF Sentinel is still the most powerful and superior class in this game.
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ^^ doing anything that isn't remotely challenging.. Like a skirmish sure seams easy as a GWF.. Anything that is challenging.. Like epic dungeons.. GWF is an absolute waste of time now..

I'm a 14k GwF with perfect vorpal, full dps... I did a skirmish today and the Gf in the pt with 13k GS easily out dps me...

The class is so bad now it isn't even funny
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well that is your problem right there. Maybe try building a GWF better first before complaining on the forums ;).

A good start = instigator.

So you're telling me a path on GWF is weak because it's missing 10 points?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The thing is, if you need 1 target dead fast, a TR is what you want. If you want a bunch of weaker targets dead fast, you bring in a GWF. Since most skirmishes/dungeons have lots of weaker enemies, a GWF should naturally score higher... I can tag multiple enemies with 1 hit while a TR can typically only get 1.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The thing is, if you need 1 target dead fast, a TR is what you want. If you want a bunch of weaker targets dead fast, you bring in a GWF. Since most skirmishes/dungeons have lots of weaker enemies, a GWF should naturally score higher... I can tag multiple enemies with 1 hit while a TR can typically only get 1.

That is what most people don't get.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Unfortunately even that isn't really the case anymore.
    TR basically have had ONE power that did all their damage: Lurker's Assault, a daily. That one power was basically the only source of the TR's boss killing abilities.
    That has now been nerfed from +60% damage down to +20% damage.
    And even before the nerf it was hard enough to do damage with that power because it is one that needs to stick on a target for a while. When the target moves away, or you have to dodge a AOE, or someone pushes the target away, the whole daily was and is lost.
    Somewhere the developers said they would compensate the nerf to damage by making you teleport towards the target, so it would do less damage, but be more useful against mobile targets. That didn't happen.

As it stands at the moment, TR are a truly useless class. GWF do more damage against small monsters AND against bosses, especially bosses that move around a lot, which is most of them. And they have the toughness to sometimes take an AOE and keep hitting where the TR has no other choice than to dodge away to avoid being killed.

Last time I did Icy Heart, I got blamed for not killing the boss fast enough, but I constantly had all his aggro on me and constantly had to dodge his attacks or else I would have died. Those who complain about their GWF should try playing as a TR, doing less damage and being fragile like you're made of glass.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tranglec wrote: »
    Unfortunately even that isn't really the case anymore.
    TR basically have had ONE power that did all their damage: Lurker's Assault, a daily. That one power was basically the only source of the TR's boss killing abilities.
    That has now been nerfed from +60% damage down to +20% damage.
    And even before the nerf it was hard enough to do damage with that power because it is one that needs to stick on a target for a while. When the target moves away, or you have to dodge a AOE, or someone pushes the target away, the whole daily was and is lost.
    Somewhere the developers said they would compensate the nerf to damage by making you teleport towards the target, so it would do less damage, but be more useful against mobile targets. That didn't happen.

As it stands at the moment, TR are a truly useless class. GWF do more damage against small monsters AND against bosses, especially bosses that move around a lot, which is most of them. And they have the toughness to sometimes take an AOE and keep hitting where the TR has no other choice than to dodge away to avoid being killed.

Last time I did Icy Heart, I got blamed for not killing the boss fast enough, but I constantly had all his aggro on me and constantly had to dodge his attacks or else I would have died. Those who complain about their GWF should try playing as a TR, doing less damage and being fragile like you're made of glass.

My play style and setup never relied on LA as my main DPS and I still end up #1 or #2 on dps at worst post update. More TR's should actually give stealth+impossible to catch serious consideration in their rotation for some boss fights. It has made life much easier for me and you don't end up running out of stamina sometimes like you would reserving stealth solely for DPS output.
  • Options
    somedogesomedoge Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    My play style and setup never relied on LA as my main DPS and I still end up #1 or #2 on dps at worst post update. More TR's should actually give stealth+impossible to catch serious consideration in their rotation for some boss fights. It has made life much easier for me and you don't end up running out of stamina sometimes like you would reserving stealth solely for DPS output.

You think you're special because you use impossible to catch and stealth on boss fights. Lol Who do you play with? People who have been level 60 for less than 10 minutes?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't want to express it as harshly as Somedoge, but I don't see how that is a solution to the problem that good GWF do more damage than good TR. I do use Stealth as much as possible and I do use Impossible to Catch where I have to (it does wonders on Dracolych because it needs a second or so less to cool down than his big AOE), but even if I wouldn't have, you can't really do more damage that way.
    I use Wicked Reminder every 3 to 4 seconds and I have maxed out the damage feats for the two best At Wills. Smoke Bomb is a must if you want to be a team player (and the party will usually, understandably demand you use it), so that leaves 1 Encounter power. Now, as for other classes too, especially the Cleric, after the update Lashing Blade seems to do more damage than any Daily, so I spam that when Impossible to Catch isn't necessary.

As much as I know (not only from personal experience but also from what I read in build guides), Wicked Reminder spamming and a certain feat build, which I pretty much have, gives you the max DPS output possible for a TR and my GS and stats aren't maxed out but good too. So when I see GWF who don't have better Vorpals than me and don't have level 10 Enchantments, end up doing more damage than me when I know that I have spend every possible second of a dungeon or skirmish throwing my most damaging powers at the enemy, I cannot come to a different conclusion but that my TR simply can't do more damage than an equally geared up GWF.

The only thing I can still try to maybe, just maybe get my DPS up again - aside from saving up for a Greater or Perfect Vorpal, is to increase my Recovery as much as possible. My long term strategy was to max out the Armor Penetration buff from my Ioun Stone so I could replace some of my Dark Enchantments on my gear with Radiant ones and maximize Power, but since the first campaign buff got me over 5000 Power (which isn't much for a GWF, but decent for a TR), maybe I should go with Recovery instead, so I can spam Wicked Reminder and Lashing Blade even more.
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    broken class is broken, i understand that we(gwf's) are supposed to be an allrounder class (strongish at everything yet every other class can beat us in a specific field) now even this has been derailed. We can still survive and do passable dps in pve with a cleric or OP companion to prop us up yet pvp is a joke. I understand the only viable build left in pvp is sentinel yet that in and of itself speaks volumes about the recent "balance" changes.

Dear Dev's please stick to your own definition of the class and stop caving to whatever pressure or opinions that have made you instigate these changes as they are evidently wrong, or are you just annoying us physical dps class users so we jump at the chance to play the "new" ranger class when you release it but then buff the gwf's back up afterwards to "address balance issues" yet really stop everyone playing ranger which you also subsequently nerf after it's release ?
  • Options
    holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    GWF are fun to level (once you get the healer companion) and they're fun to run in dungeons if you have a party that works to your strengths.

What they lack is role to play in high end content as the other classes usually can do a better job.
  • Options
    ocdonlineocdonline Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Agree with holsac.

Gave up trying to get into groups with my GWF long before the recent nerfs, but still enjoy playing it a lot more than my GF, which has never had any problem getting groups (both level 60 btw).
  • Options
    joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    tranglec wrote: »
    I don't want to express it as harshly as Somedoge, but I don't see how that is a solution to the problem that good GWF do more damage than good TR. I do use Stealth as much as possible and I do use Impossible to Catch where I have to (it does wonders on Dracolych because it needs a second or so less to cool down than his big AOE), but even if I wouldn't have, you can't really do more damage that way.
    I use Wicked Reminder every 3 to 4 seconds and I have maxed out the damage feats for the two best At Wills. Smoke Bomb is a must if you want to be a team player (and the party will usually, understandably demand you use it), so that leaves 1 Encounter power. Now, as for other classes too, especially the Cleric, after the update Lashing Blade seems to do more damage than any Daily, so I spam that when Impossible to Catch isn't necessary.

As much as I know (not only from personal experience but also from what I read in build guides), Wicked Reminder spamming and a certain feat build, which I pretty much have, gives you the max DPS output possible for a TR and my GS and stats aren't maxed out but good too. So when I see GWF who don't have better Vorpals than me and don't have level 10 Enchantments, end up doing more damage than me when I know that I have spend every possible second of a dungeon or skirmish throwing my most damaging powers at the enemy, I cannot come to a different conclusion but that my TR simply can't do more damage than an equally geared up GWF.

The only thing I can still try to maybe, just maybe get my DPS up again - aside from saving up for a Greater or Perfect Vorpal, is to increase my Recovery as much as possible. My long term strategy was to max out the Armor Penetration buff from my Ioun Stone so I could replace some of my Dark Enchantments on my gear with Radiant ones and maximize Power, but since the first campaign buff got me over 5000 Power (which isn't much for a GWF, but decent for a TR), maybe I should go with Recovery instead, so I can spam Wicked Reminder and Lashing Blade even more.

Is that with a single target only, or are there adds around the target that you and the equally geared GWF are hitting on?
    There is a huge difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    joebae wrote: »
    Is that with a single target only, or are there adds around the target that you and the equally geared GWF are hitting on?
    There is a huge difference.
    It is most glaring in the new Master Of The Hunt Skirmish, because there are so few adds in it that TR and GWF are usually hitting the same monsters throughout the whole skirmish.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    BLUF: I honestly can't tell just how broken the GWF is now.
    My observations from playing strictly PvE.
    I've been playing my GWF and at times it seems to work well, other times it seems like I am a paper target.
    Master Weapon Strike certainly does not seem as effective as before, the DR affect goes away instantly, before a second strike can be made.
    Unstoppable is incredibly wonky to say the least. Sometimes my determination seems to build normally, other times it won't build at all. Sometimes Unstoppable works for a fraction of a second, other times it lasts for a few seconds. Also sometimes I can enter Unstoppable and it will expire and my Determination bar is immediately filled again. There is no rhyme or reason as to how it works now.
    I do know I am now burning through Health Potions at a much faster rate than before, and in general it does seem to take longer to kill off monsters. It seems as though all of our damage abilities have been toned down as well as our defence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]