test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion for new server

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi everybody, yes it's a pretensious thread i know, but maybe it's worth the try.

Many speak here that you can play the game for free and still achieve legend, but that's not truth, it's a paid game, and even the ingame system of trade zen for Astral Diamond favor the owners of zen. But the point of this thread isn't criticize but bring a new... way of play Neverwinter Online.

What i suggest here is a paid server, or a vip server if the name fits better. You pay monthly for the right of play in this new server(or from 3 to 3 months or another system, it's just a suggestion). give 1 week free (or 2...3 or a month, also another suggestion) to stimulate people in subscribe for the vip server.

The point of a vip server? Make everything be credit card free there except the monthly (or another time lapse) paid subscription fee. Any item you want in this server must be worked ingame to be obtained.

It's a suggestion and i know some people (maybe several) aren't going to like the idea, but then, it would be one among four servers only to be vip. You who are reading this disagree and think the idea would not develop well? World of Warcraft kinda of disagree with you :)!

If not this way, i would suggest some Tibia alike vip server, where the server itself is free, but some areas are restricted for premium users (still would be a credit card for items free server).

While at first people would think this as the ramble of an free player, when you get too much advantages and the game get too easy, normally people lose interest in that game, while atm the packages and zen market make a lot of money from what i'm seeing, an no item zen vip server would keep money flowing in the long term if the developers intend to make this game a long term MMORPG of course.
Post edited by kamuizin on

Comments

• rokoilrokoil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I played DDO for years and wound up quitting shortly after it went to the FTP model. Excessive whining about "unfair" and "pay to win" along with the streets looking like the Vegas strip with all the signs and posts trying to get you to buy access to certain areas. Its a freaking game, a privilege, not a RIGHT. With part subscription, which still left you out of certain areas, and part FTP it became more difficult to find parties. For instance you could spend too much time trying to get a party and when you finally do, try to enter a Dungeon or Instance only to find out that player "X" didn't have access and so you're stuck looking for group, again.

There is obviously something to this FTP model or so many games would not be FTP. I suppose the player base is not large enough for subscription, but FTP will eventually drive out a portion of the fan base. That loss must be smaller than than the micro transaction gamers that pop in and feed the machine.

While I have no real answers, and have never played WOW, I too wish for a subscription based server. As a long time DnD fan (yea since the early 80's) and player of every BG and NWN and every expansion along with years of Persistent player created worlds gaming through NWN I find it hard to believe there are too few willing to pay to make this a feasible money maker for Cryptic. And lets face it, money makes the world go 'round. Whether your paying to play or paying your internets bill, it takes real world currency to operate anything.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have no problem in see Cryptic making their money, but the zen item waterfall system disrupt the economy and unbalance the players too much, i would pay for a reasonable montlhy amount for a vip server with no access to credit card items, but i can't convince myself in spend a single penny atm.

The actual packs also are outrageous, $200 for an pack is totally disproportionate when you can get 2 PS3 new released top games with this value, in fact put a bit more coin on this and you get the PS3 itself.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Won't happen. PWE's business model is F2P with RMT buying in game premium currency in all of their games. It's their core business model.
  • kouroumbelokouroumbelo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is why they make game f2p.

f2p makes companies more money than p2p and it requires less effort ...

lets say u have a monthly subscription of 25 USD for this vip server u say but no credit card items.

There are some ppl that pay 100-250~~ in a matter of days,so why would they do it?

Also making this p2p would mean player base much less and to increase it they would actually need to spend way more effort on game content which i not see happening^^.
    edited August 2013
    The game will still be F2p, in 3 servers at least, only one server would become an experience ground for a new business approach. Business model can change with the flow of money.

As i said i will never pay for items inside the F2P system, but i would pay for monthly (or a set ammount of time) game subscription inside a vip server. That's the way i think, if one or two thousands more think as i do, maybe that's more than suffice to justify a new approach of the subject by Cryptic or whomever hold the current copyrights of the game.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Great idea, would love to pay subscription, but the model is f2p these days apparantly, however Teso is going monthly subscription, with micro transactions, which is interesting and FFXIV also subscription based.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

What would an reasonable amount would you consider enough to pay for a monthly sub for everything?
    id pay up to $49 a month.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kamuizin wrote: »
    The game will still be F2p, in 3 servers at least, only one server would become an experience ground for a new business approach. Business model can change with the flow of money.

As i said i will never pay for items inside the F2P system, but i would pay for monthly (or a set ammount of time) game subscription inside a vip server. That's the way i think, if one or two thousands more think as i do, maybe that's more than suffice to justify a new approach of the subject by Cryptic or whomever hold the current copyrights of the game.

It's not Cryptic, it's PWE, which owns Cryptic. It's their business model for all of their games, full stop. They're not going to change that to make a sub model.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Everything is already "earnable in-game". How would this differ on some P2P shard? Would you just get whatever T3 mount you wanted at level 20? Would you have to run quests or tasks to earn some sort of currency, which you could then exchange for access to said mount? How would you implement this?

It's one thing to speak in grand terms about some lofty ideal, but getting down to the nuts and bolts of this P2P server is another thing entirely. What about account-wide stuff? Would it not be available on this server if I already bought it on here? I can exchange AD to Zen on one server, then convert that Zen back to AD on another one. Would AD simply be absent from this other server?

The devs would have to invest a lot of time into converting anything relating to the Zen or AD stores into using other currencies, or being unlocked via another method.

And whenever I see someone talk about "Pay to win" I have to wonder what you are winning by paying. You are getting stuff a heck of a lot faster, sure, but someone can still get the same stuff for free, (if they're patient).

Regardless, I think this falls into the "good in theory, unworkable in practice" category...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited August 2013
    Yes, some new features will be needed, but what i suggested is only an new approach of the same game, not an "ideal". make the paid items drop as rare drops inside the game by far isn't something so troublesome. Get a tier 3 mount at level 20? Dude aren't we subverting the absurd of the issue? A level 20 with the fastest mount? Best companion? A new character with late accessories? The actual system IS wrong, and that's the one of the main reasons for a VIP server.

By the way, yes, ppl would need to play the game to get what they want, normally we need to work to earn things, the hard way is the another of the main points of a vip server.

Everything related to zen would be kept off this server, in reason of that transtactions between servers would be forbidden evidently, otherwise people would credit card in one server to feed their character in the vip server.

About the work the devs would have to make the changes,... well, they're paid for this.

To end, the talk about "everything in zen can be obtained in game" that's not truth, it's the greatest fallacy of this game. Yes you can get zen items, with days of ingame work, giving away your hard worked ADs to someone that paid for some items or even for the zen itself and by his liberality, decided to trade those paid products with you with an absurd extortion value.

But, if this idea EVEN has some attention and maybe got an implement, don't worry cos from 4 servers, 3 are going to be still F2P (free to purchase), so this isn't going to affect the gameplay of anyone that like this system.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So you can't buy items with Zen on this "VIP Server". Fine. What is absurd about wanting a T3 mount on a fresh level 20? I EARNED mine by playing and grinding leadership tasks. I never exploited nor did I take advantage of things like perching on locations where a boss can't reach you. You seem to think that running a dungeon and the RNG landing in your favor is equivalent to "earning" something... well it isn't. In fact, most of my characters still use unicorn or drake gear... bought with tokens I earned from running dungeons.

All this idea would do is trade the group of elitist/self-entitled people we currently have with another. Yes, prices in the stores need to be adjusted even more. Yes, the ability to instantly buy T2 gear upon reaching level 60 needs to be looked into, but changing 1 form of monetization for another isn't the answer.

Adding all T1 and T2 gear to the seal vendors is one way they could do things, (BoP of course). Better limits on people spamming zone chat, and harsh punishments for exploiting are other steps that could be taken.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited August 2013
    You get a T3 mount in level 20 without paying in zen for it? Well that's an HUGE ammount of time and grind! Well done, well done.
    But, what does this argument has to do with the removal of credit card paid items?

In fact i have to say that, isn't people whom are elitist, is the PWE system itself, but as you said that you don't buy items, i don't understand then why being so against the idea presented here.

About trade a group for another, there's some truth in that, in the actual servers, who credit card more has more, in my proposal, whom play more (or play well) has more, but unless you have a way to please Greeks and Trojans, i don't see a problem in have both systems, 1 server with VIP subscription and other 3 with the actual f2p sytem.