test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is CW's ice knife too OP for pvp?

chuck1108chuck1108 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
Is it just me or does ice knife do entirely too much damage in pvp? I am an orc GWF with 30k health, 34 AC and 2374 defense and yet I get nearly one shotted by ice knife leaving me with 10% or less life. Just wanted to hear others thoughts on this.
Post edited by chuck1108 on

Comments

• Options
    sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Yeah sure let's nerf that one too. Why not?
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    They just gave it a sizeable nerf. Not in the skill itself but in the way it works with other skills.

Snap Freeze no longer applies to daily powers - which effectively reduces Ice Knife damage by 20% for players that used it that way.

Eye of the Storm proc only lasts for 3 seconds now - which means you no longer have enough time to guarantee debuffs and a critical hit with Ice Knife.

It's still possible to wreck people with this skill, but instead of being a calculated combination of procs and skills, it's a game of chance.
  • Options
    poolerzeus1poolerzeus1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You never happened to be one shotted by Shocking Execution yet ? If not keep on PVPing, it will happen soon enough. Not to mention some TR do almost as much damage with Lashing Blade as well...
  • Options
    chuck1108chuck1108 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah sure let's nerf that one too. Why not?

You must be a CW lol. I was waiting for a response like this one.
  • Options
    sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    chuck1108 wrote: »
    You must be a CW lol. I was waiting for a response like this one.

I have a TR, CW, DC, GWF. **** me right?

No wait, everybody got a nerf. **** everybody.
  • Options
    incogitableincogitable Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it can be dodged/block. you must be a gwf lol.
  • Options
    mikgamerzmikgamerz Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    You don't see me here crying about how 90% of GWF keep their distance in pvp until they have unstoppable and their encounters off of cooldown...
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ice Knife is only OPed with the right spec, the right passives, and the right weapon enchantment (Greater/Perfect Vorpal).

As of the patch, Snap Freeze no longer works with Ice Knife. All the builds using Snap Freeze (which was a very popular Feat) should have seen a significant reduction in their IK damage.

Here's how Ice Knife hurts:

Blighting Power/Bitter Cold Feats maxed
    Six stacks of chill (which don't last long)
    Chilling Presence Passive ability slotted
    Eye of the Storm Procs/lucky crit shot
    Greater/Perfect Vorpal
    You're unable to dodge or block

Now, if all of those goes down, you're officially toast unless you have some pretty amazing Defense/Deflection. Also know that the High Vizier set can take away quite a bit of your Defense, and that a casting or two of Ray of Enfeeblement will not help you either.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    xmachinaxmachina Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    Ice knife only does 7~9k+ damage, however when it crit with a debuff it can do 21~50k+ damage but that depends on the users. Lashing blade which is an encounter does about the same if not more.

One has a cool down the other you have to build AP before use...
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes. everyone will complain about every high powered move in the game.. When all of them can be dodged/countered.

Its easier to just cry about it. Tired of you kind of people..
  • Options
    somedogesomedoge Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    I believe I read once, a long time ago, a very nice description about this game's future concerning their nerf policy. It seems as though they will not stop until:

•GWF fights with a pool noodle, a dry one at that-- wet would be too OP
    •TR tickles enemies with feathers
    •CW becomes pure control and only hugs monsters to keep them immobile
    •DC gets a flashlight-- which looks cool when you point it at somebody but doesn't actually heal them
    •GF gets a cardboard shield and a wooden spoon.

The best part about GF is that the wooden spoon, being the only weapon made solid, will do the most damage. With this they can finally hold aggro, not that it will matter.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    meanwhile in PvE, does anyone have a problem with the ability or is it just another PvP, "someone is hurting me" complaint.

well I think GWF should not be allowed to have a weapon, they can do a lot of damage with that.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mryuzmryuz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 71
    edited August 2013
    nah ice knife is not op. you just need to know what to do. :)
    make a cw, you'll see what i mean.
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Lol it's funny because this is the easiest daily(besides Hammer of Fate) to dodge, because it makes a loud, noticable noise and you can see the casters unique cast along with the symbol that appears over the CWs head. Your problem is that GWFs have no possible way to dodge it. This makes them the only class who is unable to escape it.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    This makes them the only class who is unable to escape it.
    Mighty leap.
    And why this topic is in foundry subforum?
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Mighty leap.
    And why this topic is in foundry subforum?

My thoughts exactly. Why would you ever consider posting this here? LOL

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    My thoughts exactly. Why would you ever consider posting this here? LOL

Narayan
    It wasn't posted here, it was posted in general discussion. It got moved here.
  • Options
    metaplexusmetaplexus Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xmachina wrote: »
    ...however when it crit with a debuff it can do 21~50k+ damage but that depends on the users. Lashing blade which is an encounter does about the same if not more.

I crit ~16k on CW's with my Lashing Blade without vorpals or dailies and have Bloodthirsty (not hard to get as a TR at all, but just to show I have PvPd for some time).

//edit And I'm using executioner build.
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited August 2013
    I can 2-shot people without the use of a daily on my GF much more often mind you than a CW can build up his daily. Also, Ice Knife can be dodged.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It requires tremendous amounts of debuffing to get an interesting result. Even with 4k power and 1k arpen there's no way my CW one-shot someone else with either:
    - high defence value
    - a lot of HPs
    - an astral shield zone
    - a damage resistance bonus (it can be foresight, any random button a GWF can hit, yep, even a monkey playing that class would be immune to that)
    - a brain, hearing the 'ching ching" noise and dodging it

If i want to do a critical one-shot with my CW i also need ray of enfeeblement and none of the above situations. Why not randomly nerf ray of enfeeblement further? It's OP when people see they are debuffed and stay i my line of sight like idiots. :p

In the meantime TRs can one-shot people every 15s or so with TAB + lashing blade, but i guess it's not a big deal. GFs or GWF can still stunlock people and kill them within 3s as soon as they get to melee range but it's not a big deal either. Who cares? All we want is the ice knife turned into a giant DISCO BALL. :)
  • Options
    nightfer01nightfer01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Yes its OP, NERF CLERICS MORE :D
  • Options
    vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    In the meantime TRs can one-shot people every 15s or so with TAB + lashing blade, but i guess it's not a big deal. GFs or GWF can still stunlock people and kill them within 3s as soon as they get to melee range but it's not a big deal either. Who cares? All we want is the ice knife turned into a giant DISCO BALL. :)

No nerf the DC more! Like the effect of Hammer of Fate should be "When killing a enemy with fate you get killed also by karma".

And Ice Knife should be Ice Balloon.
    signature-lili.png
  • Options
    eldmorg79eldmorg79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    im CW and playing mostly with it... ice knife is little OP, but not more OP then lashing, excecution, unstopable or GF skill (dunno name) that kicking me away constantly and i have no time to stand up to use dodge..

so if we talking about OP skill.. every class (except DC as i know) have at least one of it... i would nerf them all, so no 1 shot kill in pvp from 12k-13k...
    Veno Forever <3
  • Options
    freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    chuck1108 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does ice knife do entirely too much damage in pvp? I am an orc GWF with 30k health, 34 AC and 2374 defense and yet I get nearly one shotted by ice knife leaving me with 10% or less life. Just wanted to hear others thoughts on this.

Yeh, Ice Knife is OP, but TR opening for 12k+ crit, becoming immune to CC, dropping in to stealth during combat, 4k+ crits on a very fast RANGED at-will, and being able to nerf a target's damage by 90% are totally balanced amIright?
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well since we're all just *****ing now...

I think every class should be nerfed in line with what somedoge posted.
    Because EVERYONE dodges my Ice Knife, but I can never get away from it.
    Because people walk away from my Lashing Blade, but I get hit by when dodging.
    Because my GF isn't 60, so you shouldn't be able to have access to those skills if I don't.
    Because GWF's always have Unstoppable up, but mine seems to only last a few milliseconds.
    Because if my Cleric can't heal, noone will attack me right?
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    shadowstriker29shadowstriker29 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eldmorg79 wrote: »
    im CW and playing mostly with it... ice knife is little OP, but not more OP then lashing, excecution, unstopable or GF skill (dunno name) that kicking me away constantly and i have no time to stand up to use dodge..

so if we talking about OP skill.. every class (except DC as i know) have at least one of it... i would nerf them all, so no 1 shot kill in pvp from 12k-13k...
    One guy from up of discussion had tell something about monkeys!