test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yep, CW is the new OP class, calling it

joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
Two days after the patch, I think everything is running smooth. TR is powerful but manageable, GWF just respecced (after Slam nerf) and seem to be hitting way harder. GF, well we are always beast and require at least 2 to take down. But we are also slow as hell, and when using Knight's CHallenge have 2 moves, so I think we are where we need to be.

CW? Uh-Uh. I disliked them the most before, but after the patch, they are going like 20-0. 27-0, etc. Unacceptable, especially when the devs decided to leave one map with absolutely NO cover. Their range needs to be nerfed, period. Drop it by 10 meters. They get three blinks, and freezes, and CC. So hard to get to, and they are tearing up teams.

In a mode where all I hear in chat is "Stay on the node you ****in newb", CW sure seems to be placing 1st A LOT. And we all know they are NEVER on the node unless it's because they are dodging. So yep, flame away, but CW IS the OP class after patch.

BladeRunner
GF/14.4K GS
Beholder
BladeRunner-Proud member of the BlackCloaks.
Post edited by joncans on

Comments

• degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't worry, everyone will rush to make them, find the best gear, enchant it amazingly, and Cryptic will nerf the class and everyone will gravitate to the next OP class.

Just give it three weeks.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013
    How are they any different from before patch if GWF are hitting hard and TRs are still killing in under 5 seconds?

They get 3 blinks because they have no self heals or escape mechanics (stealth).

Their range is fine because of how squishy they are, if you can avoid their CC spells with Immunity or block and force them to blink early then they are as good as dead. How ever if you try running at one from head on then ofcourse a ranged DPS class is going to kill you.

This is like me complaining that my CW or Cleric can't fight toe to toe with a TR or GWF.
  • khalibuskhalibus Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    CW are good, particularly at getting kill shots, but I definitely wouldn't call them OP. A little too soon to be making that call for any class yet IMO. I am a little surprised this is coming from a GF though. PvP specced GF is the hard counter for CW. Are you PvPing with a PvE build maybe?
  • joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    khalibus wrote: »
    CW are good, particularly at getting kill shots, but I definitely wouldn't call them OP. A little too soon to be making that call for any class yet IMO. I am a little surprised this is coming from a GF though. PvP specced GF is the hard counter for CW. Are you PvPing with a PvE build maybe?

Nope, pure PVP and I can one shot CW(with Knight's Challenge and granted their bubble is down). They are not tough for me, but I PVP all day, everyday. The majority of players do not know how to engage them. Being this is a team game, if my team is doing bad, I am doing bad. And how is it too early to call anything? I knew after the first match that TR's were toned down, and I liked it.

And I know they are currently OP.
    edited August 2013
    Because like you said, you're mostly facing noobs. Also, there may be new optimal builds appearing for some classes that might change the dynamic.

My conclusion is that PvP is way more balanced now. But I actually think GF is still top dog, and good ones are still rare.
    edited August 2013
    So far at least. And really I'm reserving judgment largely because I need to face way more opponents on my characters to really draw fair conclusions.
  • errantvolleyerrantvolley Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Before patch it was GWF > TR > GF > CW > DC when fully geared (Rank 8+ perfect vorpal etc)

GWF was weakened. TR was arguable buffed for PvP. Not sure about GF. CW was basically untouched. How would CW get to the front. I think the new order is:

TR > GF > CW > GWF > DC when fully geared
  • joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    TR > GF > CW > GWF > DC when fully geared

IMO: CW>GF &GWF(equal atm)>TR>DC Fully geared anybody is better than any other class. Enchant balance is a WHOLE other subject.
    edited August 2013
    I'd put the previous order as: GF>GWF>TR>>>CW>>>DC.

Now*shrug*

My Sent Regen GWF is less good but still wins most 2v1. My CW performs about the same as before. GF still have the best CC and really high damage, great defense and HP. The fighters still have super high HP and make the best use of Tenebs. Rogues seem buffed since some abilities aren't avoidable now, but they are still manageable. So at first blush, I don't think my order changes much so far, just the potential gaps aren't as huge at the highest end.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There's a 20% chance you will be correct no matter which class acronym you use when making this kind of thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    Hah. I would say 25%, unless you say DC, then 0%.
  • trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2013
    player > item > class
    or item > player > class
    edited August 2013
    Meh oversimplification.
  • bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What am I missing? I hear people say GF's have great defense.....but that is not my exp. I have made a few posts regarding this and few if anyone has responded? It is my experience that TR and GWF make quick work of my defense.....I might be able to kill some people fairly quick but others I barely tick a TR either because they are immune to all damage or for some mitigation is so high I cant even hit them?

L60 GF
    Con/Str DPS build
    Decently geared without weapon or armor enchant
  • someguy313someguy313 Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2013
    CW's OP, LOL! Like you said your **** pug teammates don't know how to handle them. So it's another L2P scenario. CW's got nerfed in the patch, read the patch notes. Cold Snap no longer affects Ice Knife/Ice Storm and does 5% less damage on cold encounters/at wills. Did CW's perhaps gain a little bit by the GWF and TR changes? Sure. Do they still get 1 shot by LB's? Yup! Can they now do a bit more damage against a GWF? Yup! Are they still squishy as hell? Yup!

So I think it would be okay to lower the range of CW spells when GF's can't keep you proned and do insane damage and when TR's can't 1 shot them.

This is coming from a CW that fights on contested points and stays at max range only when their not. You won't see me up on a pillar or the bridge that often. It does happen but I'm a team player and when someone needs to be on the point I'll be there. I'll dodge and run and do my best to hold it until help arrives or I die face tanking once my dodges are spent.

CW's are not OP, in the end we are underpowered. GF's can block our CC, GWF's can break out and be immune to our CC, Rogues can break out and be immune to our CC. Clerics can block 1 spell every 60 seconds. So how much control do we really have? Everything has to be timed out so perfect. Granted all the other classes have the same control issues but none of those classes have control in their name.
    PWN (GWF) - <Lemonade Stand> Live Streaming PvP on Twitch
  • xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    someguy313 wrote: »
    Clerics can block 1 spell every 60 seconds.

Rofl. No cleric mount this tactical. Cleric can do only one thing fairly good: get a high death score and give kill points to the opposing team. Belive me, they are experts in this field.

If you loose against a DC as CW .. delete, just delete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • n3rdlifen3rdlife Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How nice, another QQ thread by a scrub who doesn't know how to play the game. Here's an idea, gather fellow crybabies and you might see another nerf patch on the horizon.
  • revocainerevocaine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited August 2013
    Look who's complaining! A Guarduan Fighter. Lol.
    edited August 2013
    macjae wrote: »
    Let's not be absurd. Even if CWs are good at sniping kills, that's a meaningless statistic for actually winning PvP games.

Just to take the one-on-one scenario with a GF. A GF that's within reach of a CW can kill the CW very quickly. Conversely, a GF can keep blocking CW attacks from range for a pretty good while. If the CW isn't getting on the platform to fight the GF, the GF wins by virtue of collecting more victory points for his team in the long run, even if he dies in the end. And if the CW should win and succeed in capping, the GF will be back to contest the node pretty fast anyway.

Being long-ranged is a tremendous strategic asset, but for the purpose of winning domination PvP games, being able to survive longer on the platform and control the platform area better is a more important asset for achieving the objectives. Even if the CW racks up a much larger kill count and runs back and forth capping more posts, the deciding element isn't how often you cap, but how long you hold what you do cap. A couple of CWs can mount a very strong defense if they hold a point, as long as they are able to fight at range, if they have already capped and are at liberty to shoot at enemies as they approach.

Looking at the score charts for balance is really looking at the wrong data altogether. Lots of kills and capping points might make you feel well, but it doesn't necessarily make your team win. Teams with two (or more) GFs tend to have a distinct advantage over teams without them, if they know what they're doing. GFs have a very strong combination of survivability, high damage and their proning powers that makes them good at holding points on their own and for contesting points that they can't take for longer than other classes.

So, nerfing some aspect of GFs would bring PvP closer to better balance.

Very well said. Quite often the person who had the greatest impact on the outcome of the game isn't even near the top.