test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paragon Paths for Fighters

godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Militia Barracks
The Neverwinter article in the Feb 2013 Edition of PC Gamer has a side-piece that mentions at Level 30 the GWF can choose a "class specialization".

Two were mentioned: Iron Vanguard and Swordmaster. These appear to be based on the 4e Paragon Paths.

Whether you are playing a Great Weapon Fighter or a Guardian Fighter, what Paragon Paths would you like to see in-game?

As for myself, I am partial to Dreadnought (nothing says "Bring it!" like automatic saves via Unfailing Resources).

What about you? What Fighter Paragon Paths would you like to see in-game?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
Post edited by godofthorns on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Polearm Master and dread reaper.
  • zenzeezenzee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

And Siegebreaker for more Two Handed Weapon damage.

Shield Adept and Knight Protector for Guardian Fighters!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This reminds me, I miss Mystic Theurge! I'll get back to you on PP later though :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    For the record, Dreadnought works best with the Battlerager Fighter build, which is mostly axes and hammers/maces. And unfortunately, it can be both one hand and shield, or two handed, according to Martial Power.
  • adeshiradeshir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sword mage for the Guardian fighter!!!!!!
    edited January 2013
    Uh, that's it's own class, actually. And it has it's own set of mechanics (Which by the way, would be another good Defender in the game, despite my hatred of it in 4e.) It's light armour, one handed weapon only (no shield), which makes it a whole different beast.
  • adeshiradeshir Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Nah it can be a paragon path. Although the board-game has it as it's own class with mechanics and such. As stated above. That would be really cool if it was a starter class in the game.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Although I am content to play the Great Weapon Fighter I long for the day I get to play a Sword Mage. I am a huge fan of Hybrid Melee/Magic classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

I sign this. The Polearm Master one. :)
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sortof wrote: »
    I sign this. The Polearm Master one. :)

Super Necro!
  • rainmantis85rainmantis85 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Polearm is something I would like to see developed, but not as a Fighter variant. It should be it's own class with it's own Paragon Paths (Dragoon-up close at-wills/E.Pow remenescient of the Jump Teqniques associated with Lancer characters. Think GWF rain of steel Daily, jump up come down for AoE damage and CC effects onto central targeted foes, and then a Phalanx= javilin type ranged attacks.(Possible variant of the GF as the Phalanx would be carrying a shield one would think. So give the Phalanx the Frontline Surge Copy and Paste or even a E. Pow. that positions the Phalanx character into a defensive stance with shield drawn up, bracing for impact with spear tip peeking over, awaiting an incoming attack to deflect off shield allowing a critical counter attack to execute. A Bull-rush Daily Pow. that adds one of the few and far between methods of adding mobility to this Class/Paragon, being a Daily it would also have to deal damage and maybe have slight CC effects.)

Hell, here's an idea how about a paladin or some shield class that can act as a "magical defender". Every MMO, without fail gives magic users two extremely helpful tools to utilize. Range and Magic Damage(in this game the high damage is offset by extreme CC effects.)
    That's cool and all but why not give them a class to be wary of? Let a GF be able to magically enchant their shield to negate and later absorb % of incoming damage blocked. Give them and E.Pow that they can time right in order to bat the incoming magic upon collision detection and reflect both it's damage and CC effect back on the caster. The CW has no right to be able to defend against magic any more than they can already so they would need no changes.

That's the one thing missing from Neverwinter, I'm digging the timing factor in dodging attacks via utility powers, but their needs to be more for one to do defensively especially if ur character's rocking a shield for God's Sake. I would like to see some timing based, counter at-wills, E.Pows, and even Daily attacks.

Lastly, we need to bridge the long and close ranges. A pole-arm Class would accomplish this as would weapons such as whips(Beast Tamer/Torturer/Adventurer((Indianna Jones style would be tight))), some sort of Boomerang derived projectile(fan-Geisha, Shuriken(Yuffie-style)-Dancer/Performer, Throwing Knives(weapons bought in mass quantities and are equipped in groups of max slot limit, maybe 50-75 for a stackable weapon item.(It's 99 for items, but 100 for bounty items, and no limit on special currencies of some sorts.) Players can buy reserve caches of their current throwing weapon to be held in one of their inventory slots. The Off-hand complimentations are endless with the above examples and I would even consider a throwing knife type weapon to be an off-hand equip.(A class opposite the HR where Main Hand Gear is ranged and the Off-Hand Gear is Short Ranged, or better yet defensively minded providing a GF class that has ranged attack powers.) Maybe this class has the best balance of defenses against both Physical and Magical attacks. I would consider utilizing the off-hand gear as some lesser form of shield that doesn't always block incoming attacks but consistently deflects them and can be feated to reflect/absorb a % of any Phy./Mag. damage it would have deflected. Something like a Bracer or a Gauntlet would do, a Full-arm piece of armor that is equipped under the arm gear and offers protection for the wearer on which it is equipped. Basically additional armoring from one shoulder to that arm's wrist. Of course the Arm Gear will still be visible over this off hand equipment. Wouldn't want any players getting robbed of visual asthetics. It's less of a cop-out than the SWORD KNOT! Which by the way, I have yet to notice on my GWF. This brand of off hand Gear could be used to defend or deflect incoming arrow at-wills from HRs/TRs or incoming spell at-wills from DCs/CWs, depending on which way the Character is developed. Strong defense against either Phy. or Mag., or a custom blend of moderate defense against both types of attacks.

I like the idea of a Scyth too that was posted by another reply. Tons of places to go with that jumping off point as well. I would think they would need a new class for having a character rocking a Scythe. Reaper Class might be a bit too profound compared to the other Classes, but Lords of the Court, and many Feudal Knights had to till the land given to them by their king. If not they, then their servants and SQUIRES. Plus, the fella from Scream could have been rocking a Scythe instead of a big kitchen knife and I would have though higher of him even though he was just a Villian Class character-type. Maybe a Menace/Nemesis Class with an Executioner Paragon and a Psycho/Villian Paragon? Now you have a mix of Characters that focus on primarily attacking with Long Range, Mid Range, and Short Range weaponry. One thing I can assure you is a fact, the more variety and checks and balances you provide to more challenging the resulting gameplay will be. Challenge= time before game gets old and "played out" to any given player= time taken to develop a mastery of all features the game offers to the very best of their ability= Variety.