test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any suggestions for healing

scurvydawwgscurvydawwg Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in The Temple
I have been playing a few weeks now, and I have just reached level 31, so I know that I shouldnt be all great at healing or anything, and in actuality in skirmishes and dungeons I just try to play a utility role while minimizing the number of potions the rest of the party should be using. In fact at this point I think I mostly overheal.

On my bar I have the following spells:
At wills:
Astral seal
Sacred Flame

Encounters:
Sunburst
Forgemasters Flame
Healing word

Dailies:
Flame strike
Hallowed ground

Character:
Healers lore
Divine fortune

Most my equipment is green with a couple blues and all at the appropriate level
Though the type of items I choose are still up in the air, i usually just look for power and recovery on things, and generally just take equip the items the computer recommends.

I usually go about an encounter as has been suggested. I start by spamming astral seal on everything, usually followed by divinity forgemasters flame and non divinity sunbursting near the pack of players. I then use healing word on those in need and drop hallowed ground as often as I can.

My main issue is I seem to get aggro like all get out, and am usually having to run around trying to get my spells off as I can by running around the room. (maybe I should enchant movement utilities).

My main question is would replacing divine fortune with sooth help reduce my aggro noticeably?
Also if I got a healer companion instead of my man at arms would their healing of me help noticeably?

Other than that I probably have alot of feats to work on as I just took things that I thought were healing, but probably were not. I am going up the faithful tree though.

I havent had any issues at all soloing, and I havent even tried pvp, which I doubt I will after reading these boards, but the dungeons I find are the most fun and interesting because half the time the party never even plays as a party and are all spaced everywhere except on a boss fight.

Any advice is welcome.
Vasch
of Beholder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mesterlimesterli Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Clerics just do get a lot of aggro, and sooth is likely not going to help much. You might as well get used to running around while casting spells, you will have to do that alot. And if you are having trouble, tell your party! Its their job, especially the CWs, to protect you from adds as well.
  • areys77areys77 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think I can help here. Forgemaster's flame is amazingly good healing but you must be close and the target cant die or else it stops healing. This is best for bosses and elites because of the amount of time they live for. Sun Burst will be an awesome filler and AP generator so you can do daily more. Make sure you hit as many allies and enemies with it as possible because you get more AP the more things you hit. (This is even more true after tomorrow's patch)

Until you get Astral Shield Healing Word is going to be fine alternative. Bastion of Health is also alright for healing large area.
    The threat reduction is actually not a good passive. 2 Reasons: It's okay to be hit as the healer because you should always be in the healing mix. (Everything you do heals you too or at least you can drop healing circles around you too) and secondly Clerics are fairly tanky (at least the good ones can take a few more hits than Rogues or CWs). End game you will get hit and things will come after you. That is fine as long as your team understands that they need to use knockdowns and Singularities to get them off you in short order.

End game is going to change everything for you. Once 60 you will just be spamming Astral Shield and Sun Burst + other random heal or move that you find suits you. Also, Foresight is a MUST have passive along with Healer;s Lore. Grab the Benefit of Foresight Passive too because that move is nuts amazing.

Hope some of this helped.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    areys77 wrote: »
    Sun Burst will be an awesome filler and AP generator so you can do daily more. Make sure you hit as many allies and enemies with it as possible because you get more AP the more things you hit. (This is even more true after tomorrow's patch)

Not really, SB's AP generation is quite low now and NOT affected by the number of targets you hit. If you hit both allies and foes it grants 25% more AP, which doesen't mean it grants 25% of your AP gauge.
    25% of 6% is 1.5%, so hitting both allies and enemies gives you 7.5% AP instead of just 6% AP.
    YAY for SB more useful than before ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not really. SB also grants you AP for allies healed by it. The nerf is harsher on some builds than others.

Astral Seal ONLY on elites or bosses. Don't bother using it on normal mobs unless you're trying to kill them solo. At these levels you will usually have lots of extra divine power, especially now that you're using Sacred Flame. I suggest you swap Healing Word for something more practical, likes Chains of Blazing Light (control) or Daunting Light (DPS). If someone specific needs healing you can simply convert your extra divine power in AP/healing with Soothing Light.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • scurvydawwgscurvydawwg Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    Thanks that actually does help alot. It makes me think I should be looking for more defensive or deflection gear once I reach 60 to help keep the damage down.
    I guess foresight over divine fortune, its a shame its costly to redo point. Oh well I have 29 more levels to learn
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Divine fortune will probably still be useful in future. We have enough points that you don't need to truly focus on point allocation, plus a lot of skills gain only marginally from increasing their level.

Also, I'm not sure why tyrtallow would recommend sticking seal only on elites & bosses. It's good practice to stick it on as many things as possible, really. Elites and bosses first, obviously, but any monster being hit by your party? If you have a free second, seal it up. It's the laziest free healing you can dispense. (at 60, most rogues can solo the dungeon bosses with heals purely from bleed/lifesteal and the heals they get from astral seal).
    edited August 2013
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    Not really. SB also grants you AP for allies healed by it. The nerf is harsher on some builds than others.

Healing action you mean? 3-5% more action points? LOL you gotta be kidding me...
    Then 7.8% instead of 7.5%. Congrats on wasting 5 feat points. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Seriously? Do you not even know how your own powers work?

SB grants you AP based on number of allies AND enemies hit. Like Astral Shield, however, the AP from healing is only generated if you're in combat mode. If the post on the main site is accurate, then only the AP generated from hitting enemy targets is affected.

Normal mobs tend to die too fast for the seal to be of any particular value. Better to just attack them so you can build divine power. Of course, feel free to do anything else if your divine power meter is full.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    SB is helpful for AP generation as has been said, but using it -- especially if you use it while in divinity -- draws all kinds of aggro, even moreso than you already draw as a DC. I use Chains of Blazing Light instead when I'm in a party for multi-target damage and control (immobilizing enemies is great so you can dodge away and make it easier for your melee allies to hit them). That said, I'm a higher level than you are, so I can afford to drop SB and use Astral Shield instead (Chains and Forgemaster's Flame round out the mix). You may need SB for AoE healing at your stage depending on how you play. If you're playing solo, though, SB is definitely worth using for the knockback and AP generation -- if it's just you, you're going to take all the aggro anyway, so that matters less when you're alone.

If you're having problems with aggro, I'd recommend gearing for defense as well as for power and recovery. DCs aren't as tanky as they should be imo, but that can be improved with the right gear if that's how you want to build. You can look for items in the AH that add one, two, or all three of those stats to get an idea of what stuff to look for.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For leveling it really does not matter what spec you use, in fact you could leave every feat point unspent and still level to 60 just fine.

I chose to level Virtuous knowing that when I got serious about PUG'ing Tier 2 Dungeons it would require a respec. The key word here being PUG'ing, if you have a group of friends you play with on a regular basis a more dps/utility focused Spec is fine but for PUG'ing T2 you need to maximise your heals in every way possible in order to reduce the number of failed attempts as much as possible.

When I did respec Faithful there was a dramatic shift in how successful PUG tier 2's became, in fact it is rare for me not to finish any dungeon including CN with a group of random strangers. Last night though we didn't finish I led a party with three people who had never even set foot in CN before all the way to Azharzel. Full Faithful is a little boring to be honest though and I'm tempted to slap on a Vorpal and completely redo my spec when module 1 comes out. Of course this may mean I can no longer PUG CN anymore but I have made quite a few friends from those PUG runs and often find myself in some stellar parties which could easily afford a slight loss of heals just so I can have more fun :P

At the end of the day though, a respec token can be payed for with one lucky drop and roll from first boss CN so fretting over the cost is pointless. In fact the Rank 7 Dark's I've had my eye on for a while cost about the same as a respec each and I need 3. It is not impossible to make 2 million AD in an afternoon running CN so respeccing for a big three day weekend of back to back dungeon runs is totally feasible. Two respecs is one lucky drop and roll from Azharzel or even just a few lucky dd chests...edit: hmmm, not a bad idea, now I am definitely respeccing for Module 1. Here I come baby, it's going to be you and I side-by-side again for a while, yes I'm talking to you my sweet little Lance of Faith.

If I have one piece of advice for leveling your Cleric it is to take Power whenever you can get it. I have Rank 7 Radiants on every Offensive slot both on myself and my augment companion and Power is still more valuable than Crit, it has fallen behind Recovery slightly but I like my Healing Word to be strong and my Recovery is not exactly low(3,000). With Vorpals naturally Crit becomes more important than Power but until you get one Power is your best friend.

As for Defense and survivability. I don't bother with the Ancient Slavemaster rings prefering to wear the Ancient Priest's. Defense really just boils down to the Rings. Head, Hands, Boots and Chest are set pieces, Main hand, Off-hand, Shirt and Neck are all Offensive(I choose Slavemasters for neck for the slight defense boost) and Belt and Pants are of course Defensive so the only item slots left for actually customizing whether you lean towards a more Defensive or Offensive role are the two rings. If you really can't decide then Hrimnir's set is a good option but so is wearing one Slavemaster and one Priest.
    edited August 2013
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    SB grants you AP based on number of allies AND enemies hit. Like Astral Shield, however, the AP from healing is only generated if you're in combat mode. If the post on the main site is accurate, then only the AP generated from hitting enemy targets is affected.

Well, if it keeps mulyiplying the AP gain per allies it may be close to "good enough" for AP generation, since we don't have anything else to do that. (~30% AP? IF you hit all your partymates along with some enemy which may become quite difficult in some situations). But honestly, I DOUBT it keeps granting AP based on the number of allies it hits.

What i still can't grasp is how an AOE can have a taget cap. Cryptic's logic is quite stupid if you ask me. Would a grenade hurt only 5 people if someone threw it into a restaurant full of people? cryptic says yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hamjihamji Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    What i still can't grasp is how an AOE can have a target cap. Cryptic's logic is quite stupid if you ask me. Would a grenade hurt only 5 people if someone threw it into a restaurant full of people? cryptic says yes.

Good point.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It's really tempting to make a foundry mission built exclusively around highlighting flaws.

"All monster groups will come in packs of 6"
  • thecoat9thecoat9 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    What i still can't grasp is how an AOE can have a taget cap. Cryptic's logic is quite stupid if you ask me. Would a grenade hurt only 5 people if someone threw it into a restaurant full of people? cryptic says yes.

This isn't the first time I've seen an MMO do this, and while it may not be realistic, there are a lot of unreal elements to a game where you use magic to kill dragons ;-). That being said an AOE cap in a game where the primary challenge tends not be the big "boss" but the overwhelming mob spawns, makes a cap like this seem rather crushing.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecoat9 wrote: »
    This isn't the first time I've seen an MMO do this, and while it may not be realistic, there are a lot of unreal elements to a game where you use magic to kill dragons ;-). That being said an AOE cap in a game where the primary challenge tends not be the big "boss" but the overwhelming mob spawns, makes a cap like this seem rather crushing.

Especially when you're the one all the mobs aggro on because DCs are apparently a delicious delicacy. -.- I'm getting more and more annoyed with the DC stuff in the patch and I haven't even logged yet due to downtime. It would have been nice if we'd at least have gotten any kind of response like all the GWFs and TRs did.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR