test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trading reviews: NW-DH4IRQI8U Death to Orcs

princey1980princey1980 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
EDIT: Well, I just misclicked in the foundry and withdrew the quest. :mad: So mad at myself. I can't get it back up now, as the current state is more unfinished than it already was. I'll get it fleshed out and back up ASAP. I'll also complete the remaining quest trades below, and I'll be back. :mad:

Didn't really want to bump my other post as my quest has gone through some pretty big changes in the last update to it. I'm looking to trade reviews.

Death to Orcs - NW-DH4IRQI8U
Hack n' slash with light story
adjustable difficulty

In update 1.3, I added in a large amount of ambient objects, sound, npcs. Life was brought into the maps in a big way, and I hope it goes a long way in setting moods and making believable environments. I also added encounters for all difficulties in the cave area. Also put in a shortcut from the key room to the locked door, but it's not obvious if you aren't looking for it.

I hope you enjoy, and post your mission and I will review it as time allows. Thank you.

Quest Trades
Gladiator's Legacy - NW-DJLZO65TG - Run and reviewed, 8/19/13
The Hero Test - NW-DSRSYXEOJ - Run and reviewed, 8/18/13
The Bank Heist - NW-DFF41RK2X - Run and reviewed, 8/19/13
The Missing Unseen - NW-DLW8SB9CN - Run and reviewed, 8/18/13
Breaking the Chain - NW-DELOGH4IH - Run and reviewed, 8/19/13
Post edited by princey1980 on

Comments

• janusthemadjanusthemad Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I played your adventure but did not leave a review for it (I'm nice and don't give low ratings :P ).

Here are the notes from my play through:

-The initial dialogue has several grammatical and spelling errors.
    -The encounter spawns didn’t show up immediately and forced me to reload the adventure after the very first fight. With such a narrow pathway there’s no need to force the player to kill the orcs via the story path or to not spawn all of the encounters immediately. They’ll be forced to kill them through simple proximity.
    -The transition to the caverns is just a black archway.
    -I chose easy on the first area and struggled to beat each encounter. It looked like there were 2 encounters packed together in each fight. I found the difficulty to actually be quite high. Then I went into the caverns and picked easy again and every fight was against a single opponent and super easy. I suspect there may be something wrong with your difficulty picker.
    -The waypoints to the keymaster lead to doors that don’t open. It wouldn’t be so bad, except you have to go down long hallways to discover that that hallway doesn’t go to the right place. It’s even more annoying when you eventually find out you’re not looking for a door and that you have already passed the thing you’re looking for.
    -There’s no indication that you have to use the latter in the keymaster’s room. If I wasn’t curious about why it was glittering, I never would have clicked on it. It then teleported me into a wall and got me stuck. I eventually had to go around the long way to get back to that door.
    -The fences in the last encounter made the boss fight pretty easy. PCs can jump over those, NPCs cant.

I'll make it a point to come back and check this out again in a week or two when you've had some time to iron out the bugs. In the mean time, if you want to review my adventure in this thread, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
    A Gladiator's Legacy - NW-DJLZO65TG
  • princey1980princey1980 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've addressed the majority of your issues. Fixed the 3 typos in the dialogue. Spaced out the spawns on easy a little better in the initial map. I've never had, nor was I able to duplicate the issue with the quest not advancing properly, nor has it been brought up to me by anyone who's run the quest. I don't see the issue with the transition. It's supposed to look like that. I removed the waypoint to the keymaster. The closed doors that require different skills aren't meant to be pointed to. The ladder as well, though it wasn't meant to port you into a wall, which has been fixed. It's a small dungeon, but I want to reward and encourage what little exploration I can. And I removed the fences in the last room.
  • kimbyrkimbyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Good first effort to a Foundry quest.

- The narrow walkways were a bit annoying, due to the long run without any details and much to do but fight an Orc now and then.

- Some rooms need more details I think.

- The action was okay and easy.

- The conversations needs some love in spelling.

- The Keymaster was very confusion to find, lots of locked doors.

- What I loved the most was the end boss fight, it was hard but durable.

I was nice in my rating, due to your first effort. But thank you for this quest.

My shot code: NW-DSRSYXEOJ
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?443961-The-Hero-Test-(New-daily-quest)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Dark Wizard Campaign
    Search for @kimbyr
  • imperialmenimperialmen Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2013
    I will run this now. For the trade, my quest s in the signature. :)

EDIT: I am stuck at "Kill the Keymaster" in the cave. I have explored it a dozen times now, but I can't find the keymaster/a trigger/a door or anything to continue. I did find a sparkling rock, but it says "out of line of sight". What did I miss?
    edited August 2013
    It's intended that you have to look for the door to open to get into the center room with the keymaster. There are four doors and four innate class skills. Each door uses one of those skills. I did make it point to the room again, but there's no way to have it point to all four doors, or the one that matches the players skill, even if I wanted to. Some things just require some searching, though now when you get close to a door, the trail will point toward it. Plus, the keymaster will now show up on your map once you are on that step.

That sparkling rock you found is actually there to cover the ladder until after the keymaster is dead. It's a shortcut back.

I don't see any spelling errors in the dialogue. I fixed a few typos last night, it might not have updated before you ran it Kimbyr.
  • sarlacc1979sarlacc1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    I liked your quest and I think its a good first effort. The boss battle was particularly entertaining. The only two suggestions I have would be to add a waypoint before "kill the keymaster" that is "find the keymaster" so the player knows they have to work through the tunnels and find the guy. The other thing is that since you have the orcs holding several prisoners maybe add a couple "rescue the prisoners" waypoints. I look forward to trying your next quest.

If you could review my quest I'd appreciate it. The Missing Unseen NW-DLW8SB9CN
    Please try my Foundry campaign, "Olivia's Trials".
    edited August 2013
    I liked your quest and I think its a good first effort. The boss battle was particularly entertaining. The only two suggestions I have would be to add a waypoint before "kill the keymaster" that is "find the keymaster" so the player knows they have to work through the tunnels and find the guy. The other thing is that since you have the orcs holding several prisoners maybe add a couple "rescue the prisoners" waypoints. I look forward to trying your next quest.

If you could review my quest I'd appreciate it. The Missing Unseen NW-DLW8SB9CN

Thanks for the review. I'm in the middle of a busy weekend at work, and I'll be able to get to my reviews Sunday afternoon.

I was actually working toward making an objective to rescue the prisoners, but I had a huge update as it was, and I didn't want to leave my mission up there in the shape it was in for longer than I had to (not to mention it had the phrase "me in" in one of the dialogues). At some point, you've got to publish and slip the rest into the next patch. I'll never complain about unfinished games again, that's for sure :D

On the keymaster, I did add a step before the kill step, "Find the Key". You might have done it before the update, as I updated several times yesterday. Once you arrive at the waypoint, you're notified that there are four locked doors, and you need to figure out how to get one of them open. Then the trail will wrap to the nearest door as you search, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find them all, especially since the cave flows in one direction.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • zerkovaplayerzerkovaplayer Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Things I found jarring:

Yes, the prisoner hook and not having anything to do to release prisoners is a little disappointing.

"Press U to teleport" for climbing the ladder.

Being told to go back to the door when the thing I needed was to go up the ladder.

The lack of "real" bosses is a Foundry issue, but you're suffering on it. Having two or more Torgrin Tuskbreakers each time is a little jarring when I don't know why he would have multiple copies. You should probably have something about that in the dialogue text, even if it's just "Suddenly, there are two of him! They attack!" in the attack response. (Which reminds me, I should probably explain something similar in my quest for one encounter.)

Overall, it seemed a nice romp. I played it on easy mode because I wanted to get through quickly and then go eat, still stayed exciting, which is sometimes the trouble on easy mode.
    Foundry Quest: Breaking the Chain NW-DELOGH4IH
    (Daily eligible! Could use more reviews. Largely complete.)
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the review and the comments.

I'm actually in the process of creating objectives to release the prisoners. I've had plans for it since I added them in as ambiance. It's just that this next update is going to be HUGE. The cave is getting a much needed overhaul, though the chief points will stay the same.

The ladder text is a complete oversight. Thank you. And that ladder has been nothing but trouble since I put it in. I want a shortcut back, but I don't want it to be obvious. I've got some ideas, though. It won't be the way it is once this update is done.

To be totally honest, I was flying from the seat of my pants with the Torgin fight. Originally, it was an Eye of Gruumsh Torgin and 2 nameless ogres. It was lame. I made it the way it is without really thinking about it from an immersion perspective. That'll be remedied as I'm going to be adding in some lore. This is going to be a campaign eventually, and I want things to tie together.

Sometimes, it feels like the mission will never be done. After every publish, I get a bunch more ideas and suggestions to improve, and I can't leave it as it is in light of that. I'm not satisfied completely with it yet.

Thanks again. :)