test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Module 1 (Sharundar/Malabog) loot discussion

axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
So yea the devs spoiled all the fun and revealed seemingly EVERY item's stats. Not a fan of that in itself, the fun of discovery was pretty much ruined..

But yea we can now view pretty much every items stats - just log in, hit the campaign button, then hit rewards.

I was really hoping the Malabogs weapons would be interesting alternatives to CN weapons, but nope seems the devs HEAVILY failed on their design:

For most classes - They are IDENTICAL, if not very slightly worse stats than their CN counterparts - with no set bonuses.
EG:
GF Sword/Shield - 100% identical
DC - Same base, but a few stats less

You can upgrade these by doing what's probably a fairly long grind.. But guess what that adds: A whole +5 defense and +5 deflect on a sword that already has so much def/defl that you're getting severe diminishing returns.
(And you still sit at overall -440 stats vs the CN set).

Shields identical too.

Jewelry is kinda like Hrimnir style - +80 to a whole bunch of junk stats. Total stats still less than CN jewelry. Some may like that, not me, no power on there, not useful to a GF.

So yea, seems like a huge epic fail on the malabog loot design. It's plain lazy copy and paste but weaker than CN.

Common devs, you can do better than that, at least give them different stats so there's some discussion about whats best. Atm theres no argument, they are plain inferior.
EG: Make the GF Sword more like the Timeless hero only - add quite a bit more power, little bit of crit/AP. Then it could function as the top offensive sword (but you'd lose a ton of defensive stats, so both are still viable).

Other loots listed too:
Legendary GF Set:
It's a good tank set (restores guard meter).. But yea this is game where the best tanks NEVER use tank sets because nothing in the game is challenging enough to warrant it. Give us boss fights that actually are hard to tank and maybe it would have purpose. Otherwise every GF worth their salt is gonna keep using offensive sets.

Legendary DC Set:
Quite horrible, yet another one of those "60 second cooldowns where it does nothing". A set that boosts healing, but once every 60 seconds is pretty bad. Healing is required CONSTANTLY in this game, not once every 60 seconds. The set bonus itself seems fine, just should remove the cooldown or reduce to like 6 seconds.
Otherwise, the gauntlgrym (Champion) set is clearly still by far the best healing set, as it's set bonus constantly increases your healing with no cooldowns. (plus its plain better stats, dc legend set is too crit focused for a class that doesn't benefit much from crit)

Other stuff:
Seems there's yet another lockbox. Has some nice stuff like another purple mount, new enchants, etc.. Not sure the key cost tho.
-Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
-Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
Post edited by axer128 on

Comments

• Options
    mrsmonmrsmon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thats quite annoying it gives + to defence. i mean sure, defence is cool but id rather +450 power or arp/crit even? never understood the allure or the +80 to everything with the rings etc but i guess people like it.

thanks for getting me prepared for that gf stuff though lol
  • Options
    usernumber999usernumber999 Member Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    set bonus's should be removed from gear as it pigeonholes everybody into having a set (and in most cases a particular set). Then a whole load of new gear with a wide array of stats in various shapes and forms should be introduced so that players can customize their stats and gear in the way that they want.

Bosses should have extensive loot tables with varying degrees of item rarity. What we have now is generally a 2 item loot table of junk for each boss.
  • Options
    esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    So basically they made way shorter and easier dungeon than CN...which drop worse loots and have a chance to make you get a CN weapon from its DD chest?

Seems legit.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Side note: Crit is definitely not a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> stat for DCs. Crit heals make a huge difference. Otherwise I agree that long cooldowns on healing bonuses are undesirable.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    Side note: Crit is definitely not a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> stat for DCs. Crit heals make a huge difference. Otherwise I agree that long cooldowns on healing bonuses are undesirable.

Yea it is. The vast majority of the important - keep you alive healing done in any challenging encounter is astral shield. Any smart player know thats.

Astral shield cannot crit period.

Several other cleric heals cant crit. It's just not an efficient stat period. Plus relying on random chance to maybe save someone is plain and simply a poor strategy. Power is a far more effective stat for increasing healing.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And yea im surprised there is not much loot discussion.

No one cares that the game has no progression to its endgame?

Just run CN a bit and your maxxed.. New content comes out and its always worse. Pretty boring setup imo.

Pretty much no reason for my GF to run mod1 other then the campaign stat buffs, kinda boring imo.

There should some carrot put out for us to chase, else whats the fun of it.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    vorphied wrote: »

I agree. My cleric has a 45% crit chance. In PvP, that means his DOTs are tearing players apart. In PvE it's exceedingly handy for Bastion of Health.

About the loot - I'm glad that it isn't obviously more powerful than other sets. I actually rather like the Cleric set (that bonus is going to be VERY nice for Bastion). If it would have been obviously more powerful than already existing loot, it would have reduced endgame gearing options, not added to it. The way they've set it up, they give us more options, instead of shoe-horning every player into the same set.

It was always pretty obvious (to me, at least) that gear progression was going to be more about transmog-ing into the perfect LOOKING set instead of the perfect PERFORMING set. Not to mention the dungeons are easy enough that it hardly matters whether you're wearing the gear widely considered BiS or not. Which is a different problem, for some.

The gear itself is the easiest part of your gear to get. The real progression is in the enchantments, and your companion.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    About the loot - I'm glad that it isn't obviously more powerful than other sets.

Fact is for many classes, especially GF - it's obviously garbage compared to other sets.

And given all the reports show its a FAR longer and very challenging grind to get the best stuff outa malabog and upgrade it, its simply terrible design.

The reward should match the time invested and the risk. It simply doesn't as is.

-440 stats plain and simple plus a longer grind is just infuriating poor design for the weapon/shield sets.

The armor sure you could try to argue some of it is ok (your out of your mind if you think something that only works every 60 seconds is at all useful in this ultra fast paced game when there are many other sets that work 100% of the time, but to each his own).

The weapons and shields you simply cant argue. It's plain and simple - bad design.

Even if they were were objectively worse, but at least had varied stats - thatd be something. But they dont, they are identical but inferior - thats just poor design.
    (There are VERY minor differences in the DC weapon - bit of armor pen less recovery, but the GF and most other classes main and offhand are identical stat setups to cn)
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree that the new gear (aside from the enchantments) do not provide any significant reason for players to attain these new "end-game" gear. I personally believe that these new items should have set effects, or even individual item effects. Currently, these items don't contribute much to the development of level 60 characters for some, if not most of them, are just plain sub-par in comparison to the current gear players are leaning to at this point in the game. Giving players new effects to play with may introduce new ways to build characters and thereby expand the variety of ways a player can play his class.

In my opinion, discovering builds and new play styles is what makes MMO's fun. And what contributes the most towards this goal are more often than not, the item effects. I once saw a screenie of a rare TR item from the closed beta version of the game, a pair of level 30 boots that increase a TR's run speed by 100% when in stealth. And I thought "Wow, I wonder when we'll get more items like that." since it can introduce new ways to play the class. Utility effects in general are just awesome. And I believe most item effects in the game should lean towards utility effects much more than stat increases or damage boosts. This will help avoid unintentionally breaking the game balance and limiting players from using specific sets.

I personally think that seeing exotic set/item effects such as...

- x% Increased Stamina Regeneration
    - x% AP Regeneration per second
    - x% Faster Cooldown after using a Daily
    - Increased Mobility

Basically effects that will not directly contribute to game imbalance. I personally like the Fey Blessing Enchantment, it's interesting from a profit point of view, and it doesn't cause any stress to the current stasis of the game balance. Perfect Vorpal and Greater Tenebrous Enchantments are a good example of items that are too powerful for the current balance of the game. By introducing items with effects that contribute to utility, people will have to find a way to make the best use out of these items/sets before they can become powerful.

These are just the two cents of a casual player, however. I play this game to discover how else classes can be played and not to min-max in order to achieve "efficiency." Exploration and discovery are the true adventures in MMO's in my opinion.

To conclude my long post, the non-set items in Sharandar could use some effects. Or basically anything that will make them special and separate them from the current gear we have in the game. This is supposedly an end-game zone so it's best to just make it as rewarding as possible for casual and hardcore players alike. As it stands, Sharandar might not be the end-game experience it's currently being advertised to be. Just like Gauntlgrym which will become worse once the Grym items become BoP. Hopefully there will also be new rewards from old content as well, but that's another issue separate from this one.