test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Other races then the Elves

fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
We have what 5 (or well soon) aren't there any other races to be made?
[SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
I can still move.
I can still fight.
I will never give up!
Post edited by fallenhawk on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    We have what 5 (or well soon) aren't there any other races to be made?

Yes there are, and I'm sure they'll get to some of them eventually.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Yes there are, and I'm sure they'll get to some of them eventually.

Yea, I expect there will always be more. It seems a simple easy way to keep fans playing. Especially if there are no plans on race change tokens. Just another carrot to dangle out every few months.

That said, I don't expect much more then simple reskins of existing races for some time to time. Anything that uses a new model, mesh, or skeleton will most likely only come far off in the future. New skeletal meshes would most likely require a whole new set of altered gear to make it work. And that would be a huge undertaking.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea, I expect there will always be more. It seems a simple easy way to keep fans playing. Especially if there are no plans on race change tokens. Just another carrot to dangle out every few months.

That said, I don't expect much more then simple reskins of existing races for some time to time. Anything that uses a new model, mesh, or skeleton will most likely only come far off in the future. New skeletal meshes would most likely require a whole new set of altered gear to make it work. And that would be a huge undertaking.

I think you're probably right about that. So I'd also expect more riffs on the existing races.
  • Options
    elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was disappointed when they announced the release of MORE Elves. We already had a Half-Elf and pure Elf, now Sun-Elf and Moon-Elf? If i was to suggest races, my options would be...

1. Gnome
    2. Dragonborn
    3. Wilden
    4. Kobold
    5. Goblin
    Dragon Shard:
    Dorlin: Level 65 GF/2nd Account: Calias/62
    Elkysium: Level 65 CW/2nd Account: Krystalyn/62
    Artemis: Level 65 TR/2nd Account: Fayne/62
    Zantoth: Level 65 DC/2nd Account: Nemea/62
    Kryndar: Level 65 HR/2nd Account: Lilith/62
    Goreb: Level 65 GWF/2nd Account: Tysha/62
    Bamidor: Level 65 OP/2nd Account: Valindra/62
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    elkysium wrote: »
    I was disappointed when they announced the release of MORE Elves. We already had a Half-Elf and pure Elf, now Sun-Elf and Moon-Elf? If i was to suggest races, my options would be...

1. Gnome
    2. Dragonborn
    3. Wilden
    4. Kobold
    5. Goblin

Given the clipping issues seen with Tiefling horns or Half-Orc tusks, I doubt we will see races that diverge too much from the standard humanoid model.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013

1. Gnome
    2. Dragonborn
    3. Wilden
    4. Kobold
    5. Goblin

To be fair lore wise they are fairly different not to mention whilst only minor colour changes they do have different looks.
  • Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Races are generally very slow to develop and release because, as has been said above, they are very labor intensive to do. You need to design not just the model and all of its variants in both sexes, but also you need to design animations, gear to fit the mesh at the very least, and make sure your animations and gear play nice with each other. It's quite labor intensive, and it also amplifies the labor intensity of every tier of gear upgrade for the same reasons. There's a reason big mother MMO hasn't added many races over the years itself.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As a Person Of Beardness I DEMAND more Dwarves!!!!!!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Some of these races are really cool looking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)
  • Options
    thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Warforged please!!

Warforged_illo.jpg

WarforgedJuggernautPath.jpg

1336101211647.jpg

1238739217536.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Warforged is not exactly Forgotten Realms Lore Friendly.

Not that it can't be done...
    But it's...well...there are plenty of FR Races to be had...

Preferably, personally, not of the Monster Race variety.
    Yes this means no kobold's or gnoll's or other such races.
    (personal opinion which is in no way Official Information)
  • Options
    caelithcaelith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2013

I am a little behind on the different races in the different D&D settings, any idea of what type of non sub races of the current races we could see? My knowledge of the races is limited to NWN2.

I am rather partial to the other planetouched races like the elementals and the Aasimar (basically the Angels to the Tieflings devils).
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    caelith wrote: »
    I am a little behind on the different races in the different D&D settings, any idea of what type of non sub races of the current races we could see? My knowledge of the races is limited to NWN2.

I am rather partial to the other planetouched races like the elementals and the Aasimar (basically the Angels to the Tieflings devils).

Well, if we keep things strictly to Forgotten Realms 'greater' races, and only those in 4e that have a confirmed presence, we can presume that some of the following may potentially end up in the game at some point in the future (anywhere from 'now' to 'heat death of the universe') as playable:
    1) Genasi (Elemental planetouched, specifically Fire, Water, and Air around the neighborhood of Amn)
    2) Dragonborn (relatively new, blame the recent cataclysm; Tymanther or Returned Abeir as primary sources)
    3) Devas (The 4e version of Aasimar, for all intents and purposes; Majority are from Mulan/Imaskari, as were the FR Aasimar)
    4) Gnomes (been here for years, most common varieties being Rock and Deep Gnomes)

Outside of those four, there are more varieties of current races we haven't seen yet. Halflings have one or two notable variants, whereas dwarves, gnomes, and elves were probably the most densely populated races in the setting as a whole. Other races from other settings are not UNKNOWN (cross-referencing the relevant 4e material), but uncommon enough to be distinctly unlikely to show up. I may be forgetting something, though.

Warforged are right out, though (Eberron-specific).

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Devas would be a cool addition, and a nice contrast to Tiefling's demonic ancestry.

Link: http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Deva
  • Options
    ukatoenasniukatoenasni Member Posts: 224 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'm personally partial to Genasi, but that's because I've been an Amn fangirl for the longest time. I used to like Thay as well, but recent events (Tam's a jerk) sort of ruined that one for me (NOTE: WotC's lore department did a great job extrapolating the logical extremes of the political climate there, so I don't hate them for how it turned out).

I just hope they go with the 3e version of Genasi, and not the derptastic 4e version, insofar as visuals. So bad. :(

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I recall the Genasi being playable in the Mask of The Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2. I never played one though, but that certainly makes it more than feasible that an appearance could happen, I love the idea!
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

1. Gnome
    2. Dragonborn
    3. Wilden
    4. Kobold
    5. Goblin
    Hate to break it to you, but we are likely never going to see gnome as a playable race in NW. Remember, this game uses the 4e ruleset, and gnomes aren't a playable race in 4e save for homebrew. I think the same also might apply to kobolds and goblins, but I'm not as sure on that as I am with gnomes.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, if we keep things strictly to Forgotten Realms 'greater' races, and only those in 4e that have a confirmed presence, we can presume that some of the following may potentially end up in the game at some point in the future (anywhere from 'now' to 'heat death of the universe') as playable:
    1) Genasi (Elemental planetouched, specifically Fire, Water, and Air around the neighborhood of Amn)
    2) Dragonborn (relatively new, blame the recent cataclysm; Tymanther or Returned Abeir as primary sources)
    3) Devas (The 4e version of Aasimar, for all intents and purposes; Majority are from Mulan/Imaskari, as were the FR Aasimar)
    4) Gnomes (been here for years, most common varieties being Rock and Deep Gnomes)

Outside of those four, there are more varieties of current races we haven't seen yet. Halflings have one or two notable variants, whereas dwarves, gnomes, and elves were probably the most densely populated races in the setting as a whole. Other races from other settings are not UNKNOWN (cross-referencing the relevant 4e material), but uncommon enough to be distinctly unlikely to show up. I may be forgetting something, though.

Warforged are right out, though (Eberron-specific).

Cool thanks for the info, Dragonborn would be interesting aswell as Gensai and Devas but I imagine people would for the most part call them Human reskins.
    xabersedge wrote: »
    I recall the Genasi being playable in the Mask of The Betrayer expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2. I never played one though, but that certainly makes it more than feasible that an appearance could happen, I love the idea!

Yea they where added in the expansion.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sneekpeek.jpg
    21.jpg
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but we are likely never going to see gnome as a playable race in NW. Remember, this game uses the 4e ruleset, and gnomes aren't a playable race in 4e save for homebrew. I think the same also might apply to kobolds and goblins, but I'm not as sure on that as I am with gnomes.

Wrong. Gnomes are in PHB2 and are a playable race. They have also been a part of DnD lore, and specifically Forgotten Realms canon, since the beginning.

EDIT: For the record, this post represents my opinion as to the appropriateness of gnomes for NW and my desire to see them in the game. I have no idea if they're actually in the dev's plans.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thorak257 wrote: »
    Warforged please!!
    Robots belong in science fiction games, not DnD.

As the Beatles taught us:

All you need is gnome
    All you need is gnome
    All you need is gnome, gnome
    Gnome is all you need
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Robots belong in science fiction games, not DnD.

As the Beatles taught us:

All you need is gnome
    All you need is gnome
    All you need is gnome, gnome
    Gnome is all you need

I hope they do add more small races. I love nothing more than killing the little gits.
  • Options
    darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013

If we get a Bard class, then kobolds MUST be made a playable race since the greatest bard of all time was a kobold.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If we get a Bard class, then kobolds MUST be made a playable race since the greatest bard of all time was a kobold.

Only if we get Thongs for Tieflings!
    And Wisecracking Floating Disembodied Skulls as Companions!!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    And Wisecracking Floating Disembodied Skulls as Companions!!

I'm not a big fan of the Zen store companions -- but I would totally buy this one.
  • Options
    gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    2. Dragonborn

No. Just...no.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • Options
    thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I know it would never happen but I think warforged would be extremely successfully given the presence of ironman in current popular culture. I realize the difference between ironman and warforged; one is a guy in a suit and the other is a machine. Even though they are machines, they have a psychology and they wrestle with the idea of whether they have a soul.

Warforged are one of the less monstrous of the monster races and if you used a modest concept like the image below, warforged would be very easy to implement. Simply take the human model and replace the beige skin with a metallic skin and invent some racial abilities. Plus warforged are sexless so you don't even have to create female models.

The toes would be the hardest part because they are two-toed but even that wouldn't be necessary.

In 4th ed warforged are encouraged to be part of all settings even forgotten realms.

Before people say you don't know how much work is involved I'm a game developer by profession.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
    Racial Traits:
    -Extra resistance to DoT
    -Warforged Resolve(Encounter power): Gain temporary hitpoints.

What about the self-forged paragon path? The 4th Edition player's guide also features a paragon path called the Self-Forged, which is for creatures that strive to make themselves like Warforged by replacing parts of their bodies with magical metal prosthetics, becoming fantasy-themed cyborgs.

Playing warforged: Click here

1336101211647.jpg