test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trading reviews on my first quest - NW-DJLZO65TG

janusthemadjanusthemad Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Greetings all! I recently finished my first attempt at creating a quest in the foundry, and I'd like to trade reviews with anyone willing to give me some constructive criticism. If you do review it, be sure to leave me a message with your short code so I can return the favor.

Short Code: NW-DJLZO65TG
Mission Type: Moderate story, moderate combat.
Estimated Duration: 20 minutes.
Starts from: The word map/any gate.
Description: A gladiator is looking for help recovering his father's sword from the Neverwinter catacombs. The job seems pretty straight forward.

Some screen shots!

jSe5rYqh.jpg

Dy5IdXSh.jpg

zo4htFih.jpg
A Gladiator's Legacy - NW-DJLZO65TG
Post edited by janusthemad on

Comments

• Options
    ambitionxpambitionxp Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed it. Combat and length were just right for me.

Parts of it reminded me of my own quest, NW-DNR5AK4ZK. Please give it a run and let me know what you think. If you could post your impression in this thread, I'd appreciate it.
    The Cursed Armor of Steele
    NW-DNR5AK4ZK
  • Options
    adylhereadylhere Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2013
    Just as advertised: “job seems pretty straight forward”. Combat is balanced and not overwhelming. Neat story and nice environments.

You can try mine NW-DM71LY21M
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ambitionxp wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. Combat and length were just right for me.

Parts of it reminded me of my own quest, NW-DNR5AK4ZK. Please give it a run and let me know what you think. If you could post your impression in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

I posted my review in that thread.
    adylhere wrote: »
    Just as advertised: “job seems pretty straight forward”. Combat is balanced and not overwhelming. Neat story and nice environments.

You can try mine NW-DM71LY21M

You have a really fantastic balance between plot, story, and action going on with that one. I had some line of sight issues with some of the interactable object (namely the book on the table in the girl's room and the secret door).

I've left you both a tip.

I'm going to bed for the night, I'll resume reviews in the morning for anyone who reviews the quest.
  • Options
    tserantseran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    Please don't sign my forehead :)

This is a solid first quest. Keep at it!
    I sent you a PM with some notes!

Feel free to give mine a run - see my sig.
    c447.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tseran wrote: »
    Please don't sign my forehead :)

This is a solid first quest. Keep at it!
    I sent you a PM with some notes!

Feel free to give mine a run - see my sig.

Very helpful. I also enjoyed your quest immensely. I'm considering including a museum/zoo in my next adventure and seeing yours was extremely insightful. Reviewed and tipped.
  • Options
    aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    I will trade you a review. :) My quest is in my signature.

EDIT: Played and reviewed it.

It's a good effort for a first foundry. Good combat run for exp or a daily if you manage to get the duration right...

I recommend adding more variety to enemies, and moving the respawn spot further in.
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • Options
    feuygarfeuygar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Good effort for a first foundry and I liked the twist to what seemed like a simple story.

Things I think would improve the quest, helping polish it to a little gem.

- both Spearland's conversations were a single large paragraph, this can be hard on the eye, please split them up.
    - the sewers could do with some more artwork, music, FX. For example, trigger some music with the combat, add some eerie lighting etc.
    - In the crypts you could add more items (felt a bit empty) add things like mist to make it more creepy.
    - I didn't understand why you called two mobs "Spiderman", it distracted me from the D&D environment but it's your adventure :)
    - At the start and end of the quest, it mentioned going to a bar, but the building interior looked like someone's house rather than an inn/pub.
    - Finally, many of the mobs looked routine, you can use the foundry to change their colour/armour/height/weight etc, so that it doesn't feel like: another room and another bunch of the same mobs.

Hopefully you can review my quest too please.

422 - Yeenoghu's Bride

NW-DUMTEJ9KZ

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?411131-Proud-to-present-for-reviews-422-Yeenoghu-s-Bride
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    aaldaemon wrote: »
    I will trade you a review. :) My quest is in my signature.

EDIT: Played and reviewed it.

It's a good effort for a first foundry. Good combat run for exp or a daily if you manage to get the duration right...

I recommend adding more variety to enemies, and moving the respawn spot further in.

Your quest is an awesome mix of story and combat. I really enjoyed it. I found myself walking past several waypoints, but I think that's more my ADD than your map lol.

feuygar wrote: »
    -snip-

Points well taken. I'll incorporate some of those suggestions in the next update I'm working on.

Ratings and tips for both of you!

It seems like people are moving too quickly through it, so I've already started on a mini-plot with the spider cult to spread things out a bit. It should increase the encounters in the sewers by about 50%, add another mini boss, and flesh out who they are and why they're there. Until that's done though, I'll leave the current version up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    An update for the adventure has been released. The previous average run time was 11 minutes. My goal is to get that to 20 minutes.

-The encounters have been spiced up with a liberal application of custom costumes. The various factions are now more consistent and unique.
    -The player will be tasked with ending the evil beneath the city, rather than simply passing through it. Another boss has been added. The new leg increase the number of encounters in that map by about 50%.
    -Many easy encounters have been replaced by standard encounters.
    -More sound, room decorations added.

Please give it a play and let me know what you think. Leave a short code and I'll review yours too!
  • Options
    vephidvephid Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    I enjoyed this foundry, i reviewed yours before but will give it another try to see the update.

Playing now :)
    Check out my campaign "A time of need" NWS-DK9TIAT7J! I'm still seeking and trading reviews, feel free to send me a message with your foundry code and I will play them as soon as possible.
  • Options
    vephidvephid Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2013
    I liked the changes you made and now the quest lasts longer! There are some floating props at the room with the tents and some grammatical mistakes but they were nothing to worry about. I'd suggest some dialogue to explain the connection between you and "certain cult".

Good job overall!
    Check out my campaign "A time of need" NWS-DK9TIAT7J! I'm still seeking and trading reviews, feel free to send me a message with your foundry code and I will play them as soon as possible.
  • Options
    etharylanetharylan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Very nice job. Just the right pace and easy to follow. :)

I guess I was still in my debugging mode (as I hate to nit-pick), but I noticed a couple of small (and not really important) bloopers:
    1.) In the spider altar room, there are 2 floating chairs next to a floating firepit. Also the bench nearby.
    2.) There's a floating "circular fire-pit" in the Brood Queen room (as soon as you enter the room, it's the one in the corner on the right-hand side).

Other than those minor details, I really enjoyed it and look forward to another one. :)
    Amulet of Misery Campaign (SC: NWS-DJINYJ9XK)
    Part 1: Friendly Foe (SC: NW-DTBNQUDYJ)
    Part 2: (Under Construction)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    vephid wrote: »
    I liked the changes you made and now the quest lasts longer! There are some floating props at the room with the tents and some grammatical mistakes but they were nothing to worry about. I'd suggest some dialogue to explain the connection between you and "certain cult".

Good job overall!

I have a couple ideas on how to tie everything together and make it a tighter story in general. I very much appreciate your feedback.. and the play through :) I saw that you tuned the difficulty on your adventure. I'll give it another try in the morning.
    etharylan wrote: »

I guess I was still in my debugging mode (as I hate to nit-pick), but I noticed a couple of small (and not really important) bloopers:
    1.) In the spider altar room, there are 2 floating chairs next to a floating firepit. Also the bench nearby.
    2.) There's a floating "circular fire-pit" in the Brood Queen room (as soon as you enter the room, it's the one in the corner on the right-hand side).

Other than those minor details, I really enjoyed it and look forward to another one. :)

That's not nit-picky at all. That's exactly the kind of feedback I need. Thank you very, very much for bringing it to my attention. Don't hold back on stuff like that.

I'm headed to work tonight in a bit, but I'll give one of your adventures a play when I get home tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    etharylan wrote: »

I took some time to look at your adventure.

I spent more time running around rooms trying to find the right braziers than I did on any other part of the quest. I'm not sure if it's my graphics settings or what, but it was extremely difficult to tell exactly which ones had a torch in it and which ones didn't. The lack of clear waypoints just made it all super confusing. I'd recommend replacing the braziers that aren't "a source of flames" with braziers that are unlit to keep people from pulling their hair out.

I also want to punch the antagonist in the face more than I want cake right now, and I've been on keto for 3 months.
  • Options
    byargerbyarger Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    NW-DLSWQU7ZN Beggar In Need

I am on my way to your quest now!
  • Options
    byargerbyarger Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Great quest! I enjoyed it!
  • Options
    gapaldurgapaldur Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013
    Hi i am looking to trade reviews.
    Quest:Valley of the dead.
    Short code: NW-DCRYA3XVJ
    #Story #Combat
    Please read description for more info
    I'll go check out (A gladiator's Legacy) right now.
    Hope you get time to check mine out..
  • Options
    gapaldurgapaldur Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013
    Well done. Good story, to keep the player going. Encounters were just right for me soloing. Not too long not too short. All in all great work. I will subscribe. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    byarger wrote: »
    NW-DLSWQU7ZN Beggar In Need

I am on my way to your quest now!

I've run and reviewed your quest and left a comment in your thread. I think that might be the best foundry I've run so far.

gapaldur wrote: »
    #Story #Combat

I'm on my way to work in a few minutes. I will make it a point to run your adventure when I get home in the morning.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    gapaldur wrote: »
    #Story #Combat

I played your adventure this morning. It's a reasonably difficult hack and slash right up till the end. At the end I got stun locked so repeatedly that I had to spend 6 potions on the fight which is just ridiculous. Despite that I gave you a good rating and a tip. I did enjoy the story and the difficulty of the combat up until that point.

If anyone else is interested in trading reviews, please leave a post and I'll absolutely return the favor.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I've spent the last several days working on an update to the adventure.

-The Fighting Flagon is greatly improved. The bar now includes more patrons and an actual bar.
    -Lighting has been applied to the bar to make it more warm and comforting.
    -Additional decorations have been added to all maps.
    -Tons more lore and plot hooks to tie everything together.
    -You no longer have to be observant for the ending to make total sense.
    -The final boss fight has become far, far more dramatic.

Please give it a play. If you'd like to trade reviews, feel free to leave your short code and I'll be happy to review your adventure as well.
  • Options
    brazilianbraidbrazilianbraid Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    I played your adventure this morning. It's a reasonably difficult hack and slash right up till the end. At the end I got stun locked so repeatedly that I had to spend 6 potions on the fight which is just ridiculous. Despite that I gave you a good rating and a tip. I did enjoy the story and the difficulty of the combat up until that point.

If anyone else is interested in trading reviews, please leave a post and I'll absolutely return the favor.

I would like to understand what you mean by that.
    So... His quest is hard, therefore it's bad?

****... I'm willing to trade reviews but if you don't like hard quests, you're probably not an old school gamer. And if so, you're only gonna hate my quests. lol
    War in the twelve temples - NW-DMXDG5KED (Parody of the anime Saint Seiya!)
    The Mysterious Woman - NW-DP6MVIC26 (Venture in the fey wild)

[SIGPIC]http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90213885&dateline=1376666164[/SIGPIC]
    Those are high elves, also known as eladrins. The closest beings to the feywild.
    They are a core race from D&D 4e. You can find them in "The Mysterious Woman" quest.
  • Options
    kimbyrkimbyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is a straight forward quest, the story was great, but maybe more mist in the crypt to let it be more scary.
    Overall I liked your Daily quest; for a daily the dungeon is long to run in, but anyway I think you have done a great job with your first Foundry quest, I enjoyede it.

My shot code: NW-DSRSYXEOJ
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?443961-The-Hero-Test-(New-daily-quest)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Dark Wizard Campaign
    Search for @kimbyr
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I would like to understand what you mean by that.
    So... His quest is hard, therefore it's bad?

To elaborate, the final fight of his adventure utilizes two bosses and contains 8-10 lesser mobs that are either soldiers or brutes. All together, the final fight is approximately 4 encounters. That, by itself, would simply require me to think tactically and kite heavily (I play a cleric). Unfortunately the fight is also made more difficult by the fact that both bosses have an ability which causes the player to lose control of their character for a second or two. The end result is that boss one would stun me, while the NPCs were attacking, then boss two would stun me while the NPCs were attacking, then boss 1 would do his smash (because that's what bosses do). In the 2 seconds that that combo is triggered, there is absolutely nothing you can do. It's not a matter of skill. It's simply a matter of "you're about to lose 2/3ds of your life, I hope you were full when this started".

I'm not entirely sure why you would insinuate that I'm a new player except to troll. Generally speaking, most reasonably experienced players are quite familiar with the basic mechanics of stunlock and the myriad of criticisms that accompany it.

At any rate, it was a 5 sentence paragraph. The other 4 sentences were quite complementary and I believe I did mention that he got 5 stars and astral diamonds. At some point, context comes into play. If you feel that I'm overly harsh with my reviews, feel free to ignore my opinion and continue on your merry way. I assure you the community is quite large enough for the both of us.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kimbyr wrote: »
    It is a straight forward quest, the story was great, but maybe more mist in the crypt to let it be more scary.
    Overall I liked your Daily quest; for a daily the dungeon is long to run in, but anyway I think you have done a great job with your first Foundry quest, I enjoyede it.

My shot code: NW-DSRSYXEOJ
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?443961-The-Hero-Test-(New-daily-quest)

I've played your adventure, given you a good rating and left a tip. I'll leave my notes in your thread so you can have a bump.
  • Options
    brazilianbraidbrazilianbraid Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    I'm not entirely sure why you would insinuate that I'm a new player except to troll. Generally speaking, most reasonably experienced players are quite familiar with the basic mechanics of stunlock and the myriad of criticisms that accompany it.

At any rate, it was a 5 sentence paragraph. The other 4 sentences were quite complementary and I believe I did mention that he got 5 stars and astral diamonds. At some point, context comes into play. If you feel that I'm overly harsh with my reviews, feel free to ignore my opinion and continue on your merry way. I assure you the community is quite large enough for the both of us.

I was actually asking because it was not clear. It felt like you were crying about it when I first read.
    Considering what you said, The boss in my quests might be even more uh... ridiculous, I guess.
    War in the twelve temples - NW-DMXDG5KED (Parody of the anime Saint Seiya!)
    The Mysterious Woman - NW-DP6MVIC26 (Venture in the fey wild)

[SIGPIC]http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90213885&dateline=1376666164[/SIGPIC]
    Those are high elves, also known as eladrins. The closest beings to the feywild.
    They are a core race from D&D 4e. You can find them in "The Mysterious Woman" quest.