test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A penalty on people who intentionally join queues and decline once a party is found

tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
Unless this is the result of a genuine queue bug, then especially during nighttime (EST) there are some people who are intentionally joining queues just to decline once a party is found, resulting in groups being formed without a DC, GF, etc and wasting everybody's time by preventing those slots from being filled (they keep queuing and declining). Not to mention that when one person declines, then more are inclined to decline.

There should be a penalty for constantly declining queues to prevent abuse of this feature.
You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
Post edited by tyrtallow on

Comments

• Options
    murraymaniamurraymania Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This does not prevent slots being filled, and it's not a bug.
  • Options
    terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for the feedback!
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    terramak wrote: »
    Thank you for the feedback!

uhh this is poor, non-thought out feedback.

Logically - No ONE declines queues. They obviously purposely hit the button to queue - they want to do it. People don't decline, period.

What happens is the players are living, breathing, biological creatures - they sometimes have to afk.

And thus inevitable if you ask say 20 players to have to push a button within a ~30 second window - at least 1 will often be afk. (And sadly afk in this game in a queue = auto decline)

Exactly why gauntlgrym is horribly broken. 1 afk'er means 1 auto decline which means a broken queue - and broken queues CAN repair themselves, but often take very long to do so, and often run into the same issue as the first attempt. I've seen that 1 little x with 20 accepts like 5 times in a row once - ultra frusterating.

It's an easy fix too:
    --> Only leader of a party has to accept the queue (rest auto accept) and the default time-out action is accept, not decline.

I'd almost say don't even put an option. But currently the accept/decline functionality DOES have 1 purpose - to work around the fact the games no selectable matchmaking (see link in my sig) for pvp.. So for preforms, we have to rely on realtime communication of queue popping to coordinate matches.

Sure we'll end up with a few afk'ers inside instances - but you already built in a system to deal with them, so thats a non-issue. Definitely not as big one as completely missing gauntlgrym pvp because of this common queue problem.

PS: Additional reason for queue is the fact the pops that only last that short ~30 second window do not appear in vendor screens.. So one player may be reviewing what pvp gear he could purchase after the match, or stocking up potions - completely oblivious to the fact the game dumbly needs him to click 1 button or else 19 other players will be upset. (or 20 really).
    My fix won't address that if hes the party leader, but if he isn't, it should be fine. - A generally players willing to put up with the difficulties of forming parties in this game learn about these issue and actively avoid them anyways.

(and yea penalizing players for bugs in the game or required biological functions of the human body is pretty unfair)
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How does one even know that it's the same person queuing / declining? Are you able to see who the queue is waiting for a response from? I don't think I've ever noticed a name when it says someone declined.
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What they really need to add to mitigate this problem is a numerical counter that shows how many people are in each queue. Star Trek Online has this, so it's not like they'd have to code this functionality in from scratch.

Further mitigation would involve separate numerical counters for each class, given that the matchmaking system seems to prefer groups of one of each class.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    PS: Additional reason for queue is the fact the pops that only last that short ~30 second window do not appear in vendor screens.. So one player may be reviewing what pvp gear he could purchase after the match, or stocking up potions - completely oblivious to the fact the game dumbly needs him to click 1 button or else 19 other players will be upset. (or 20 really).

Yeah, that's a big problem; it may even be the main reason for people failing to show up after the queue pops.

It also makes the queue itself more irritating. One of the few things you'd think you could do to pass the time (vendoring) while waiting is a no-no. So now I vendor before entering the queue, which means I spend more time aimlessly riding around Protector's Enclave and/or reading offensive commentary in Zone chat afterwards.
  • Options
    rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, people are doing this intentionally. I have experienced this, queue up 3 times and each time some joker declined. Probably the same guy. There must be a penalty for doing this intentionally.

Also what's with the delay in getting into a dungeon when we have a premade full group? Why do we have to still queue and wait when we have a full premade group?!
  • Options
    arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'll join a queue sit it in it for a long time, and then eventually start some solo dungeon on some adventure map of some sort, and then I'll be half way through and the queue confirmation will appear. I do not want to lose the progress I've made of my dungeon so, I will decline it.

You have to think that it's not always some troll just playing a joke. Sometimes there is a legit reason for declining.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, people are doing this intentionally. I have experienced this, queue up 3 times and each time some joker declined. Probably the same guy. There must be a penalty for doing this intentionally.

Also what's with the delay in getting into a dungeon when we have a premade full group? Why do we have to still queue and wait when we have a full premade group?!
    You don't know the reason why someone declined. Claiming they queued for the sole purpose of declining is, if not asinine, nothing more than an assumption. What if they intended to do something and they've had a visitor and are now unable to join? Maybe they've been queued a while and no longer have the time to do it. Or maybe they've been queued a while and simply don't want to any longer; personally I leave a queue when I get fed up queuing, but maybe they were in the queue so long they forgot. But no, you know better, they queued just to decline. As has already been said, you don't know who declined, so saying it was probably the same guy is meaningless.

The issue with queuing with a premade group is the same as live.

The original post claims that when someone declines the group gets formed with people missing. I can't comment on this as I've not queued on preview. I didn't see anything in the patch notes that they'd changed how queues work. On live if someone declines it looks for someone else to replace that person, then puts you back at the front of the queue if the slot isn't filled. Which is exactly where'd you'd have been anyway if only 4 people had been found. The only issue would be if you queued for GG pvp and while your queue is procrastinating other queues are being fulfilled and you end up never getting in, but I've never seen enough people on preview to do GG pvp, and even if there were there are no guilds on preview, so it's a moot point.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The troll here is the poor code for the queue, since it cannot even create an instance for an already formed party!

several changes need to be made, one of which is feedback to the user along the lines of:
    You are the 666 Wizard in the queue as a controller, estimated time until you are matched to a party : shortly after hell freezes over
    You are the 9999 Rogue in the queue as a striker, estimated time until you are matched to a party : no estimate available
    You are the 1 Cleric in the queue as a Leader, estimated time (accept button pops)
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I highly doubt there are 666 players much less of a specific class on preview.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    parp12 wrote: »
    I highly doubt there are 666 players much less of a specific class on preview.

Most times there are too few to form a party on Mimic! or if there are more than 5 players there are less than 4 classes :0
  • Options
    axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

lol completely illogical reasoning.
    Zero evidence. What nonsense.

When you make insane assumptions, at the very least ask yourself. WHY? Why would someone do this?

To grief people? What? Why would someone want to grief a COMPLETELY random group of players, that if for say pvp - could very well not even be players, but instead all bots?
    There's no logic to it.

Yes there are players who derive pleasure out of griefing others, however if they never know or see the victim - they do not. And there's a zillion other ways they could do that in such a way they know there victim.

Plain and simply people never queue up then decline queues purposely.

The logical reason it happens often is because the chances of players being either:
    A) AFk
    B) On a vendor screen
    C) hitting shift to roll on a loot right as it pops up
    are fairly high for at least 1 in 10 players to do at least one of those 3 actions.

They don't decline. The queue system is garbage.

Asking the devs to punish people for having to go to the bathroom/sell/buy loot/nothing is pretty horrible feedback.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    I'll join a queue sit it in it for a long time, and then eventually start some solo dungeon on some adventure map of some sort, and then I'll be half way through and the queue confirmation will appear. I do not want to lose the progress I've made of my dungeon so, I will decline it.

You have to think that it's not always some troll just playing a joke. Sometimes there is a legit reason for declining.

The queues that are programmed correctly will put you straight back into said dungeon, with progress saved soon as you exit/complete said queue.

Though sadly like half of the dungeons are bugged so upon exit you are placed at the dungeon/zone entrance, rather than your previous waypoint.

But yea another legit reason theres no need to penalize.

The only penalty that needs to be implemented in this game is one for rage quitters in pvp - they purposely ruin the fun of 9-5 other players benefit themselves greedifully.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Being on a vendor screen is one of my big gripes with the queue system. It would be nice if the dialog would still pop up. Or at least give some kind of audio or visual clue that a spot has opened and the game is waiting on a response from you.
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rift had to add a penalty because people were doing it there..can't remember if it was just for leaving after zoning into dungeon (in which case you could not join another for a set time) or if it put you to the back of the queue if you declined as well...its not logical but then griefers are illogical people who take pleasure in stupid things like that.

Certain dungeons it pops, instantly you can see the lil red x in 1 or 2 boxes, and of course it fails and back into the queue you go only for it to happen again and again and again and again.

With CN it happens and for some reason it actually puts you into the dungeon with just 3 or 4 people and never fills the space.