test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LF Key Bindings for Party Members

muceasmuceas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Temple
NWO is a more action oriented game than WoW and that makes it quite exciting. At times you need the dogging reflexes of Dubya just to stay alive. Especially here a fraction of a second can make a big difference.

That being said, I know that Ctrl locks a healing target but is there a way to select a specific healing target without the ridiculous mouse aim routine or cycling trough all targets with Ctrl?

By the time clerics finally pinpoint their intended healing target they have 5 ads chasing their tails or they get hit by an AOE.

There's gotta be a faster way. We have to be able to select a healing target using only 1 key.

WoW has a beautifully simple key binding with F1-F5 assigned to myself and the other 4 party members. Can we have the same system implemented here?

I am not sure if I am the only one missing an easier way to target party members. Please let me know what you think.
Post edited by muceas on

Comments

• nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there's apparently text commands that you can use, but have to type in every single time the party changes or something.
  • muceasmuceas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there's apparently text commands that you can use, but have to type in every single time the party changes or something.

I don't mind doing it as long as I can find a guide on it. I rather spend a few minutes in the beginning of every instance typing nonsense than have no bindings at all. Can you please point me into the right direction?
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    muceas wrote: »
    I don't mind doing it as long as I can find a guide on it. I rather spend a few minutes in the beginning of every instance typing nonsense than have no bindings at all. Can you please point me into the right direction?

i actually have no idea. i've just heard about it.
  • muceasmuceas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i actually have no idea. i've just heard about it.

If would know how to bind each party member to a key that would make life much easier. Thank you for your help though.
  • mare985mare985 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hm that would be nice but i think it was intentional that there are no key shortcuts making the battle even more dynamic.
    but if u look at our powers most of them are to be used as aoe or on an enemy only healing words are friendly target required. What i think would be of more help is the ability to aim at a target then press a button that would lock that targets distance from us so our chars would keep their distance automatically and when combined with auto-running it would make us run circles around the target leaving us free to aim our aoe and other powers without the need to hold ctrl.
    well at least they would try to keep their distance, u cant always outrun an add.
  • kissell19kissell19 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    muceas wrote: »
    NWO is a more action oriented game than WoW and that makes it quite exciting. At times you need the dogging reflexes of Dubya just to stay alive. Especially here a fraction of a second can make a big difference.

That being said, I know that Ctrl locks a healing target but is there a way to select a specific healing target without the ridiculous mouse aim routine or cycling trough all targets with Ctrl?

By the time clerics finally pinpoint their intended healing target they have 5 ads chasing their tails or they get hit by an AOE.

There's gotta be a faster way. We have to be able to select a healing target using only 1 key.

WoW has a beautifully simple key binding with F1-F5 assigned to myself and the other 4 party members. Can we have the same system implemented here?
    I am not sure if I am the only one missing an easier way to target party members. Please let me know what you think.

You really have to stop thinking of the healing as similar to other mmo's. This is not the case here for NW. You are a battle cleric. You need to be in the middle of the pack and in the mix with everything else. Most of your damaging spells also heal and once people realize this you will have much less problems.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?157861-Videos-Cleric-Epic-Dungeon-Runs-and-Build
    Look at this post and watch the videos and things will be much easier. You should almost never be single target casting your heal. That being said, it is hard in the low levels because you have access to fewer good spells.
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not ready to write a full guide yet, as I am still trying to learn how get the most out of system. What the earlier poster is talking about is using the /HardTargetLock and /target commands with your party member's name to lock onto them. It works rather well, but the only downside is that you have to manually type in the name of the party member or whoever you want to target.

Here is an example from my alias file:
    // Targeting companion
    alias comp "alias comp_w target {}"
    alias hw_comp "HardTargetLock 1 $$ comp_w $$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0"

// Arbitrary targeting for 4 targets (group members)
    alias tar1 "alias tar1_w target {}"
    alias tar2 "alias tar2_w target {}"
    alias tar3 "alias tar3_w target {}"
    alias tar4 "alias tar4_w target {}"
    alias hw_tar1 "HardTargetLock 1 $$ tar1_w $$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0"
    alias hw_tar2 "HardTargetLock 1 $$ tar2_w $$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0"
    alias hw_tar3 "HardTargetLock 1 $$ tar3_w $$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0"
    alias hw_tar4 "HardTargetLock 1 $$ tar4_w $$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0"

You can make an alias file in the localdata folder of the Game's main directory. For me that's C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Neverwinter\Live\localdata -- but you can find guides for how to make an alias file.

The magic in these aliases are that I've used parameter passing to make supplying the target names as painless as possible. So you would type this:

/tar1 "Player's Name"

And magically, the command:

/hw_tar1

Will cast your "R" power on the person whose name you supplied. For me, it's Healing Word. The real beauty is that if they're in range, this works. You don't have to find them or target them or aim at them. It also only "locks" you onto them for a split-second, so you may not even notice you're "locked" on them. (The locking happens immediately. It doesn't actually require your reticle to be hovering over the person.)

The game is actually built on a traditional tab-targeting system, it's just obfuscated through mouselook locking and "soft targeting", meaning your target changes to whatever your reticle is over.

So for the above, you could type in these commands:

/bind f1 hw_tar1
    /bind f2 hw_tar2
    /bind f3 ...

and so on, and your F keys (or whatever your bind them to) will be your auto-target Healing Words.

If you want to make it JUST target them, take out the "$$ PowerTrayExec 1 4 $$ HardTargetLock 0". This will lock you onto your target (maybe you want to channel Soothing Light or ... well, that's really the only other useful thing we target at a person.) Then to break the lock, just tap Left Ctrl, as you noticed already, holding it toggles HardTargetLock on.

EDIT: Ooops, I just necro'd a thread. Oh well. It's useful information regardless.
  • loomyzaloomyza Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you so much for this Whistlingdixie. May i please bug you for clarification on where and when you enter the players names manually, is it within the alias file, is it within the game, ie: once off everytime you start a dungeon, or everytime you start your client, or when u bind f1 to to the player1 target, so what im trying to get at is do u have to punch in name during combat, or pre-define, and only have to punch f1 within combat ?

THanks i hope that makes sense xD