test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Language barrier...

draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
... I was gonna post this weeks ago but just got around to it now.

I realize MMO's are all about recruiting players from around the world... I think that is a GOOD thing... but this here MMO (Neverwinter Online) is the first one within which I've noticed the language barrier (negatively) affecting gameplay moreso than any other before.

Language based servers anyone? Or some kind of language translator service useable in-game?
Post edited by draemorin on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The population is far too small for language-specific servers to be a viable option - unfortunately. The language barrier sometimes becomes an issue in PuGs when you cannot coordinate, but then again, some of the worst PUGs I have had the misfortune of joining have had only english speaking players...so...
    Hoping for improvements...
  • ardeaherodiasardeaherodias Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm kind of enjoying the multilingual aspect (I'm learning a smattering of Polish, brushing up on my French, etc), but it is a barrier in PUGs and such. The only other MMO I played that had a significant (okay, overwhelmingly large) number of non-English-speaking players was Final Fantasy XI, where there were a ton of Japanese, French, German, etc, players. That game had an awesome auto-translate feature, where you could pick from common phrases regarding tactics, items, trades, etc, and have them translate into whatever language the other players were using. I really miss that mechanic. I actually know some Japanese, but even so the auto-translate was essential.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There is a good rule of the netiquette that is regularly ignored by many players that want to team up: before sending the invite to team send a tell to the player asking him if he interested to join and explaning what are the team aims and if you need him for a specific role. Do so and you will see also if there is a language problem to have him to join.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    There is a good rule of the netiquette that is regularly ignored by many players that want to team up: before sending the invite to team send a tell to the player asking him if he interested to join and explaning what are the team aims and if you need him for a specific role. Do so and you will see also if there is a language problem to have him to join.

One of the problems with this is the implementation of the Dungeon Queue system. Its all random and there is no discussion until the group is already formed.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2013
    The worst pug groups I have ever been a part of have had only french speaking players. Matter of fact, it has been so bad lately that when I do find out the whole party speaks french, I just leave. They fail so hard so fast every run, its not even worth trying anymore.

oh my ...... and the stereotypes abound ....
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    oh my ...... and the stereotypes abound ....

You should go on more foreign holidays ;)

Or look at the multitude of variatons of the expression "help!" when grouping up. Pretty soon I'll be able to call for help in about 13 different languages ;)
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I speak some Spanish and I can usually tell from context what someone's saying in other languages. Languages haven't tripped me up so far, but sometimes it's frustrating that I understand but can't reply for lack of actual knowledge.

Thing on this note, though -- when I need a party for something, I automatically just put out a request for people in the zonechat of the zone I'm in. Anyone waiting in queue will reply and happily join a party to shuffle things along, or anyone who hadn't otherwise planned to do the dungeon / skirmish may go ahead and do it on the spur of the moment if asked. That works really well for me and doesn't bring in any language barrier issues.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well I am lucky as I do speak 5 languages and actually have a masters in History/languages and NO I am not a future candidate for Pope??? LOL!

So in that aspect I absolutely love the opportunity to engage with other players from around the world, It does cause me some problems when I need to at-tab out and change the language of my KB for accents and the likes (and not sure they always work in game). From my standpoint, I love it, but on the other hand I can surely understand how some may get a little frustrated in PUGs.

In a historical stand-point, some of the best trading, treaties etc where done by 2 groups or more who could not understand each other via language but always managed to make each other understand themselves nonetheless (it is hard with only a KB though!).

I am all for keeping it as it is.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm kind of enjoying the multilingual aspect (I'm learning a smattering of Polish, brushing up on my French, etc), but it is a barrier in PUGs and such. The only other MMO I played that had a significant (okay, overwhelmingly large) number of non-English-speaking players was Final Fantasy XI, where there were a ton of Japanese, French, German, etc, players. That game had an awesome auto-translate feature, where you could pick from common phrases regarding tactics, items, trades, etc, and have them translate into whatever language the other players were using. I really miss that mechanic. I actually know some Japanese, but even so the auto-translate was essential.

Yes, yes, but people didn't seem to know how to use the auto-translate and some of it was translated poorly. Sometimes even basic responses were hacked into absurdity by the poor translation ( {May} {Bee} comes to mind....)
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2013
    The worst pug groups I have ever been a part of have had only french speaking players. Matter of fact, it has been so bad lately that when I do find out the whole party speaks french, I just leave. They fail so hard so fast every run, its not even worth trying anymore.

The whole group was French? Including you?